Old 15-05-2007, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cat Poop

Hello all,

What is the best way of stopping cats sh*tting in my garden? I've tried the
chemical type stuff from garden centres, doesn't seem to have done the job.
I'm looking at these ultrasonic devices, are any of them worth the money?
I'm not quite ready to go down the airgun route yet!

Cheers,
R.

Old 15-05-2007, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 May, 21:23, "Richard Phillips" wrote:
Hello all,

What is the best way of stopping cats sh*tting in my garden? I've tried the
chemical type stuff from garden centres, doesn't seem to have done the job.
I'm looking at these ultrasonic devices, are any of them worth the money?
I'm not quite ready to go down the airgun route yet!

Aaarghhh... a debate with no ending. Water pistols. That's what we've
started using and beleive me we have tried everything. We have water
pistols at the ready - and, I feel bad saying this, but I've even took
the hose to one of them the other day and I haven't seen that ginger
cat since.

Old 15-05-2007, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Richard Phillips" wrote in message
Hello all,

What is the best way of stopping cats sh*tting in my garden? I've tried
the chemical type stuff from garden centres, doesn't seem to have done the
job.
I'm looking at these ultrasonic devices, are any of them worth the money?
I'm not quite ready to go down the airgun route yet!

Cheers,
R.

Hi Richard. Have you taken the normal precautions and put carpet gripper
strip along the tops of all fences and gates?

The Air Gun is quite a good move, but you have to BE THERE :-((

Somebody advocates Trap and Drown.

Trap, Skin and Cook was recommended to me, they taste like Rabbit.

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 15-05-2007, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Richard Phillips" wrote
What is the best way of stopping cats sh*tting in my garden? I've tried
the chemical type stuff from garden centres, doesn't seem to have done the
job.
I'm looking at these ultrasonic devices, are any of them worth the money?
I'm not quite ready to go down the airgun route yet!

Ignoring the fact for a moment that you could just be one of those pathetic
sad little trolls that needs to get a life.

Our last allotment had a neighbour with 27 cats and we had the nearest
cultivated soil. What's your problem? We made friends with a number of the
cats because the alternatives are Rats and Mice as proved on our new
allotment where there are no cats. Rat pee is infinitely more dangerous to
life than cat poo and mice do a hell of a lot of damage.
--
Regards
Bob H

Old 16-05-2007, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Richard Phillips" wrote
What is the best way of stopping cats sh*tting in my garden? I've
tried the chemical type stuff from garden centres, doesn't seem to
have done the job.
I'm looking at these ultrasonic devices, are any of them worth the
money? I'm not quite ready to go down the airgun route yet!

Ignoring the fact for a moment that you could just be one of those
pathetic sad little trolls that needs to get a life.

Our last allotment had a neighbour with 27 cats and we had the nearest
cultivated soil. What's your problem? We made friends with a number
of the cats because the alternatives are Rats and Mice as proved on
our new allotment where there are no cats. Rat pee is infinitely more
dangerous to life than cat poo and mice do a hell of a lot of damage.

No, I'm not a troll. You'll just have to take my word for that.

My main issue is their poop (i have nothing against cats apart from this).
I don't like cleaning it up every time I wish to mow my lawn.

R.

Old 16-05-2007, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 15 May 2007 22:48:53 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

Our last allotment had a neighbour with 27 cats and we had the nearest
cultivated soil. What's your problem?

Do you LIKE cat shit?Give me your address I'll post you as much as you
want.

We made friends with a number of the
cats because the alternatives are Rats and Mice as proved on our new
allotment where there are no cats.

Rubbish.
The majority of cats today are fat overfed vermin that could never catch a
rat in their lives.They are fed by ignorant idiots who don't give a damn
where the cat shit's.Even if it is a private garden that children play in.
To have 27 cats shows the owner has absolutely no concern for any of the
neighbours and is probably mad.
A good cat is a dead cat.
--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!
Old 16-05-2007, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Richard Phillips" wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Richard Phillips" wrote
[...]

I have mixed feelings on the subject. Like Bob, we have neighbouring cats on
the allotment, and they do kill lots of mice, especially one who is a prime
alpha male, comes out of his garden, across the allotment totally ignoring
me, and within a couple of minutes he's back with something in his mouth.
Sometimes they leave us the bodies as evidence.

At home on the other hand, they just dig up the seedlings and dump on them.
I feel totally different about those ones. I don't want to harm them, but I
can understand it driving people to it. I have used the super soaker method,
but you can't be there all the time, and I'm too tight to buy an ultrasonic
device, which would probably get nicked round here anyway. Nowadays I just
give them a hard time when I catch them at it, and try not to stress too
much about the rest.

Steve

Old 16-05-2007, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 16, 8:50 am, "Richard Phillips"
wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Richard Phillips" wrote
[...]

R.- Hide quoted text -

I do sympathise as there is nothing worse than going over the crap
with the lawn mower, it spatters everywhere, it is nasty and a health
risk. I found that neighbouring cats left the lawn alone if it was
very short but coming back from holiday was a different matter, it was
gross!!

I didn't have too much of a problem in the flower beds as I always
used moth balls. Put a load into a bag, hit with a hammer to make
smaller and also it releases a lot of camphor smell and just throw it
into the beds. I found that it lasted for about a month and then had
to be replaced. Rose prunings stuck into beds, at an angle, also
helped when planting new small plants as they don't like a thorny
backside! I got quite a few new roses this way too.

Old 16-05-2007, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

a person with aproblem wittered on after Bob Hobden wrote:

Our last allotment had a neighbour with 27 cats and we had the nearest
cultivated soil. What's your problem?

Do you LIKE cat shit?Give me your address I'll post you as much as you
want.

Read what I wrote. I did not say I liked it I said it was preferable to Rat
pee which kills. Cat poo rots down quite quickly too.

We made friends with a number of the
cats because the alternatives are Rats and Mice as proved on our new
allotment where there are no cats.

Rubbish.
The majority of cats today are fat overfed vermin that could never catch a
rat in their lives.They are fed by ignorant idiots who don't give a damn
where the cat shit's. Even if it is a private garden that children play
in.
To have 27 cats shows the owner has absolutely no concern for any of the
neighbours and is probably mad.
A good cat is a dead cat.

To assume...to make an ass of u and me! Try finding out facts instead.

Rats don't like cats and will take the easy option and move elsewhere just
in case. Cats will also kill small rats and mice for fun, like a fox, they
do not have to be hungry to kill, it's what they do, it's exercise/sport.
The best mouser I've lived with was very well fed but could catch one every
few minuets when in the mood.

If your neighbours cats poo in you garden try teaching your kids to avoid
eating it and not putting their hands in their mouths and washing before
eating, it's easier and common sense. A word with the cats owners may help
but remember cats are very difficult to train, it's best to start as babies
otherwise it's mostly too late.
If you had made any attempt to understand your problem you would already
know that and not make comments about ignorant idiots etc. when it is
probably untrue and most cat owners would be mortified if the were aware of
your concerns.

The 27 cats I mentioned were in a neighbouring animal sanctuary. Being hit
by a low flying Swan or contracting Botulism from them (common illness in
Swans in dry weather) was more dangerous, believe me.

I wonder if you are concerned (paranoid!) about Toxoplasmosis which can be
found in cat/dog poo and undercooked meat? That infection/parasite is really
only dangerous to pregnant women (unborn babies) if they haven't been
infected with it before. The majority of the French nation are infected with
it through their love of undercooked meat.

I wonder if you would take your children to France and eat meat in a
cafe/restaurant there? Maybe more chance of infection than the cat poo in
your garden. There's a thought for you to get paranoid about!

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 17-05-2007, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 15 May 2007 20:23:00 GMT, "Richard Phillips"
wrote:

Hello all,

What is the best way of stopping cats sh*tting in my garden? I've tried the
chemical type stuff from garden centres, doesn't seem to have done the job.
I'm looking at these ultrasonic devices, are any of them worth the money?
I'm not quite ready to go down the airgun route yet!

There's no need for an airgun, just:

1 Trap

2 Drown

3 Repeat as necessary

It works, guaranteed.

Please, just try it.

Walter.

Old 17-05-2007, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 16 May 2007 23:39:40 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

snip

To assume...to make an ass of u and me! Try finding out facts instead.

Rats don't like cats and will take the easy option and move elsewhere just
in case. Cats will also kill small rats and mice for fun, like a fox, they
do not have to be hungry to kill, it's what they do, it's exercise/sport.
The best mouser I've lived with was very well fed but could catch one every
few minuets when in the mood.

So cats take a few mice,so what?I am surrounded by cats where I live.They
make no impression on the rat population.The things that work with rats are
poison and traps.
I have had rats nesting in the compost bin.It wasn't the dozens of local
cats that took care of them,it was me.
This is of course nothing to do with the subject which is "Cat Poop"

If your neighbours cats poo in you garden try teaching your kids to avoid
eating it and not putting their hands in their mouths and washing before
eating, it's easier and common sense.

The cat's have priority?
Oh,OK kids go have a roll in the shit.But have have wash after.
You live in cloud Cuckoo land.

A word with the cats owners may help
but remember cats are very difficult to train, it's best to start as babies
otherwise it's mostly too late.
If you had made any attempt to understand your problem you would already
know that and not make comments about ignorant idiots etc. when it is
probably untrue and most cat owners would be mortified if the were aware of
your concerns.

Ha HA Ha,
Yep Cuckoo land.

The 27 cats I mentioned were in a neighbouring animal sanctuary. Being hit
by a low flying Swan or contracting Botulism from them (common illness in
Swans in dry weather) was more dangerous, believe me.

? swans? Are you now justifying cats killing swans,or just changing the
subject,again?

I wonder if you are concerned (paranoid!) about Toxoplasmosis which can be
found in cat/dog poo and undercooked meat?

Seems reasonable to be concerned.

That infection/parasite is really
only dangerous to pregnant women (unborn babies) if they haven't been
infected with it before. The majority of the French nation are infected with
it through their love of undercooked meat.

I wonder if you would take your children to France and eat meat in a
cafe/restaurant there? Maybe more chance of infection than the cat poo in
your garden. There's a thought for you to get paranoid about!

France?What are you burbling about?
Even if cat shit was of no harm to anybody I still dont want it in my
garden.Strange that...eh?

--
Regards From
Wane Smooth

Help feed the Hungry,goto
http://www.thehungersite.com
It's Free!
Old 17-05-2007, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Hello all,

What is the best way of stopping cats sh*tting in my garden? I've tried the
chemical type stuff from garden centres, doesn't seem to have done the job.
I'm looking at these ultrasonic devices, are any of them worth the money?
I'm not quite ready to go down the airgun route yet!

There's no need for an airgun, just:

1 Trap

2 Drown

3 Repeat as necessary

It works, guaranteed.

Please, just try it.

Walter.

Hi Richard

I know the frustration this causes. I am pestered with my neighbours
cat's too and hate the selfishness of cat owners.

But those thinking of harming animals should be aware that criminal
charges can be brought against you. You wouldnt believe cats rights, I
think I even read somewhere that they are not classed as a tresspass.

I have had some success with placing thorny branches on the garden,
just temporary. They are animals of habit and may go somewhere else
soon and so you can then discard the branches. Another technique that
I have heard, though not tried ( anyone ?? ) is to put Jeyes fluid in
a container where it will evaporate but not get diluted with rain,
something like a marg tub with holes in the side may work.

Good luck
Steve

Old 17-05-2007, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes
The best mouser I've lived with was very well fed but could catch one
every few minuets when in the mood.

A dancing cat ;-)
--
Kay
Old 25-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Registered User

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Phillips View Post
Hello all,

What is the best way of stopping cats sh*tting in my garden? I've tried the
chemical type stuff from garden centres, doesn't seem to have done the job.
I'm looking at these ultrasonic devices, are any of them worth the money?
I'm not quite ready to go down the airgun route yet!

Cheers,
R.
I've found some good value for money cat repellers on this website. My dad had an awful problem with cats using their gardens as a toilet and so i got him one of these just to stop him complaining. But it worked and he hasn't seen anything since. I was a bit cynical to start with but my dad swears by them now and recommends it to everyone.
The link is www.primrose-london.co.uk/cat_repeller.php if your interested