Old 21-07-2007, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Jalapeno Conspiracy

In article . net,
"Dave" wrote:

Same experiences here. However, this year, my home grown jalapenos have a
good kick to them. Used same seed as last 2 years. Have had alot of rain.
So, contrary to another reply, the amount of water wasn't a factor. Its
been somewhat cooler here due to the cloud cover and rain. I did add some
sandy loam and some 5-10-10 granulated fertilizer late winter to the garden.
I've always picked the jalapenos just before they start changing color.

As far as age, I've gotten more tolerant to spicey foods etc. How about
you?
Dave
"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Have you noticed any other foods that don't taste the way you remember
them from the past?

Of course but that is just growing up and becoming more sophisticated.

It has nothing to do with the fact that some jalapenos taste hot and
others taste like bell peppers.

The color, age and stress do not seem to have anythng to do with it.

Yesterday we picked about a pound from all over the garden, a few from
each plant. Most tasted like bell peppers and a few were hot.

js

No problem here. Nibbled the end off a 3" ja-lap-pin-no. I was struck by
the fresh green taste of it. Munched on into the seeds. Little
discomfort at first, then hiccups, runny nose, and sweaty forehead. Yep.
THEM is real ja-lap-pin-nos all right. Oh, lord it was good.

--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 21-07-2007, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article says...
Is there such a thing as an heirlooom pepper seed exchange? Like for
tomatoes?

There are lots of places that sell seeds. I bought from this place
earlier in the year:

http://www.tomatogrowers.com/

and they were dependable and had a good selection. Hot peppers are one
of the hardest seeds to start and they take forever to get to a healthy
seedling that can be put out. The hottest pepper to grow easily are
Caribbean red habeneros. Although I did get some hot pepper seedlings
started from seed, my local nursery had lots of red hab seedlings and I
loaded up on them for the garden this year. It's a lot easier just
buying the seedling and be done with it.

Jalapenos never were hot IMHO. They're usually listed around 3000
Skoville Units whereas red and yellow habs run up to 300,000 Skoville
units. Even chili peppers for hot dogs are an order of magnitude hotter
than jalapenos. I gave up growing jalapenos years ago. Habs produce
more per plant and you can make a salsa with them that will make
everyone who eats it run to the bathroom to clear their bowels. It's
nothing but fun when habenero harvest time comes which should be in a
couple of weeks here.

Old 21-07-2007, 03:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

*snip*

Jalapenos never were hot IMHO. They're usually listed around 3000
Skoville Units whereas red and yellow habs run up to 300,000 Skoville
units. Even chili peppers for hot dogs are an order of magnitude hotter
than jalapenos. I gave up growing jalapenos years ago. Habs produce
more per plant and you can make a salsa with them that will make
everyone who eats it run to the bathroom to clear their bowels. It's
nothing but fun when habenero harvest time comes which should be in a
couple of weeks here.

i've never thought that they were that hot either........now my
tabasco and cayenne this year have been outstanding. brings you to
tears. ate a cayenne with lunch yesterday, it pure made the inside of
my nose burn. hot peppers are a great way to open the sinuses!

Old 21-07-2007, 05:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Mark Anderson wrote:

[...]

I took a habanero in to work last year. One of the guys said he loved
habaneros and popped one down. Three minutes later he was in the
employee lounge barfing it up. A good habanero deserves respect. My
ja-lap-pin-nos are alive and well. Set me back on my heels this
afternoon.
Old 22-07-2007, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy Rose wrote:

My understanding is that taste buds do lose their sensitivity with aging
which explains why sometimes geezers some times like really funky foods.

That would be easy to test. According to that hypothesis, if I find a
hot one, younger folks should find it very hot. I can't tell the
difference between my rejects and bell peppers. My wife is 12 years
younger and agrees on all of our tasting judgments heat.

js

Old 22-07-2007, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

William Wagner wrote:

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...sjalapeno.html

That's interesting but I have never tasted ground and dried jalapeno. I
am surprised to learn that it should be hotter than Cayenne.

However, I have also lost faith in Penseys. Their Cayenne varies all
over the map. The same type will be very mild in one order and very hot
in the next.

This can not be a function of age as we have compared two different lots
at the same time and in general terms, it takes twice as much of one to
get the same heat. Or a wet finger tip full varies from very mild to
very hot.

js

Old 22-07-2007, 07:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jack Schmidling wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:

My understanding is that taste buds do lose their sensitivity with aging
which explains why sometimes geezers some times like really funky foods.

That would be easy to test. According to that hypothesis, if I find a
hot one, younger folks should find it very hot. I can't tell the
difference between my rejects and bell peppers. My wife is 12 years
younger and agrees on all of our tasting judgments heat.

js

A mild ja-lap-pin-no? That's criminal. Mine gave me hiccups, a runny
nose and, beads of sweat on my forehead, just like they are supposed to.
Old 22-07-2007, 07:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jack Schmidling wrote:
William Wagner wrote:

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...sjalapeno.html

That's interesting but I have never tasted ground and dried jalapeno. I
am surprised to learn that it should be hotter than Cayenne.

However, I have also lost faith in Penseys. Their Cayenne varies all
over the map. The same type will be very mild in one order and very hot
in the next.

This can not be a function of age as we have compared two different lots
at the same time and in general terms, it takes twice as much of one to
get the same heat. Or a wet finger tip full varies from very mild to
very hot.

js

I don't think I would accept their assessment of dried jalapenos. I
dried them and powdered them for several years to use as an additive for
"Southwestern" bread. Never found them to be even close to as hot as
cayenne. YMMV

George

Old 22-07-2007, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
Jack Schmidling wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:

My understanding is that taste buds do lose their sensitivity with aging
which explains why sometimes geezers some times like really funky foods.

That would be easy to test. According to that hypothesis, if I find a
hot one, younger folks should find it very hot. I can't tell the
difference between my rejects and bell peppers. My wife is 12 years
younger and agrees on all of our tasting judgments heat.

js

A mild ja-lap-pin-no? That's criminal. Mine gave me hiccups, a runny
nose and, beads of sweat on my forehead, just like they are supposed to.

that sounds like a *nice* jalapeno.....if they done me like that, I'd
still eat them. Sorry, billy, i have to agree with Jack on this one.
Jalapeno's haven't tasted hot to me in years. i can eat them like
pickles. never a tear, never a runny nose. there ain't no fun in eating
a hot pepper that ain't *HOT*. must be something different between here
and there.
Old 22-07-2007, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jack Schmidling wrote:
Billy Rose wrote:

My understanding is that taste buds do lose their sensitivity with
aging which explains why sometimes geezers some times like really
funky foods.

That would be easy to test. According to that hypothesis, if I find a
hot one, younger folks should find it very hot. I can't tell the
difference between my rejects and bell peppers. My wife is 12 years
younger and agrees on all of our tasting judgments heat.

js

actually, the taste buds sensitivity changes every 7 years or so, with
everyone. it's not just an old age thing. what you might like now, you
might not like in 7 years, etc.

Old 22-07-2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

George Shirley wrote:
Jack Schmidling wrote:
William Wagner wrote:

[...]

i agree with george, cayenne is definitely better to me too.
Old 22-07-2007, 08:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Jack Schmidling wrote:
Billy Rose wrote:

My understanding is that taste buds do lose their sensitivity with
aging which explains why sometimes geezers some times like really
funky foods.

That would be easy to test. According to that hypothesis, if I find a
hot one, younger folks should find it very hot. I can't tell the
difference between my rejects and bell peppers. My wife is 12 years
younger and agrees on all of our tasting judgments heat.

js

actually, the taste buds sensitivity changes every 7 years or so, with
everyone. it's not just an old age thing. what you might like now, you
might not like in 7 years, etc.

I guess I was thinkin' more "stinky cheese" than capsaicin.

But as far as heat in peppers goes, you may want to look here
http://homecooking.about.com/library...lhotchiles.htm
Old 22-07-2007, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
Jack Schmidling wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:

[...]

To be on the safe side, I'm hedging my bet with an habanero.
Old 22-07-2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
Jack Schmidling wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:

[...]

yeah, they are *good* too! what ya think of cow-horns? my sis has grown
some this year that can rival a good cayenne or habanero. cow-horn
doesn't usually bother me, but these have been hot, bout like you
describe you jalapenos...they made my uncle run tears...
Old 22-07-2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

actually, the taste buds sensitivity changes every 7 years or so, with
everyone. it's not just an old age thing. what you might like now, you
might not like in 7 years, etc.

I guess I was thinkin' more "stinky cheese" than capsaicin.

But as far as heat in peppers goes, you may want to look here
http://homecooking.about.com/library...lhotchiles.htm

thanks for the link. noticed where the jalapenos were on the list.

forgot to mention before, some medications can also alter the taste
buds. it's not always listed on the papers that come with your meds as a
side effect, but it is a proven fact. watch the side-effects of your
meds, whatever they may be, and look them up for yourself, instead of
trusting a pharmacy insert.

gotta go, baby just discovered the vent!

rae

[IMG] code is On

The North American Union: Conspiracy Theory or Conspiracy Fact? Robert McKenzie Ponds 0 21-09-2007 12:08 PM
The North American Union: Conspiracy Theory or Conspiracy Fact? Might2Right Ponds 0 21-09-2007 10:41 AM
Squirrel conspiracy Bill Stock Ponds 32 29-09-2004 11:48 PM
Conspiracy Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 06-01-2004 01:04 AM
A conspiracy. Why do they do this to me? JimS. Roses 0 02-05-2003 04:44 PM