Old 22-07-2007, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Jalapeno Conspiracy

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:
In article ,
Jack Schmidling wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:

My understanding is that taste buds do lose their sensitivity with
aging
which explains why sometimes geezers some times like really funky
foods.
That would be easy to test. According to that hypothesis, if I find a
hot one, younger folks should find it very hot. I can't tell the
difference between my rejects and bell peppers. My wife is 12 years
younger and agrees on all of our tasting judgments heat.

js
A mild ja-lap-pin-no? That's criminal. Mine gave me hiccups, a runny
nose and, beads of sweat on my forehead, just like they are supposed to.
that sounds like a *nice* jalapeno.....if they done me like that, I'd
still eat them. Sorry, billy, i have to agree with Jack on this one.
Jalapeno's haven't tasted hot to me in years. i can eat them like
pickles. never a tear, never a runny nose. there ain't no fun in eating
a hot pepper that ain't *HOT*. must be something different between here
and there.

To be on the safe side, I'm hedging my bet with an habanero.

yeah, they are *good* too! what ya think of cow-horns? my sis has grown
some this year that can rival a good cayenne or habanero. cow-horn
doesn't usually bother me, but these have been hot, bout like you
describe you jalapenos...they made my uncle run tears...

Cow horns??? I got me "Corno di Toro" (Bull's Horns) but they are
supposed to be sweet, as are the Giant Aconcagua, Yellow Wax,
Friggitello, Szgedi , and of course the Cal Wonder. Then I have nine
ja-lap-pin-nos and a habanero. Just trying to figure out what I like and
where it grows best. Doing the same with the tomatoes: Striped German,
Mortgage Lifter, Brandywine, Rose, San Marzano Redorta (late season),
Carmello, Green Zebra (mid-season), Peche de Jaune, Marmande, and
Stupice (early season). One each planted in two different locations
(early Sun vs. afternoon Sun) on the hillside. Then there are a few
volunteers, Juliets, I think.

My sugar baby watermelon miraculously turned into a crook neck squash,
so now I'm watching the crook neck squash to see what it does. Cucumbers
have finally flowered. The "dent" corn is still a month away but it is
spectacular to look at. The golden Bantam, and the Sunshine must be
close. Ja-lap-pin-nos are are a little small but ready. The string beans
have been crankin', 2 -3 meals a week and I'm gettin' into sync with
them, knowing when to pick. Lettuce is 4 - 5 meals/week. Bitter melon
are developing. The zuch probably not getting enough Sun, no flowers et
but getting bigger. Couple of handfuls of blue berries (I'm working on
dropping the pH of the soil.) and I'm hoping the newly planted
strawberries will star producing soon. The basil is doing well, will be
more than ready when the tomatoes are ripe. In a lull with the cilantro.
It usually seeds itself but I may need to germinate it. Last years
echinacea plant must have 16 blossoms on it, not all colored in yet
though. Medicinals are coming along slowly but they are perennials so
if I have to wait for next year, that's OK. The freakin "bird house"
gourd is out of its'. It would take the entire trellis if I let it. I'm
having to whack it back some to leave room for a zucchette (Tromba
d'Albenga), which is recovering from being pulled up and the jiaogulan
(sort of a viney ginseng) which is being timid but just got a side
dressing of steer manure.

But mild ja-lap-pin-nos. It's just not right. Mine seem to be just
right. Any hotter and I'd have to cut them with somethin' and I really
like the flavor when they are roasted. The cayenne and your cow-horns
have thick or thin skin? If I just wanted heat, I'd only grow habaneros.

Now I'm going to go risk my neck hanging a pot from one of the oaks. You
know, the extension ladder and uneven ground thing. Oy.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 23-07-2007, 01:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Jalapeno Conspiracy / billy

Billy Rose wrote:

[...]

well, not sure if that's the technical name, but the local nursery told
my sister they were cow-horn pepper plants when she bought them. They
are similar to cayenne, but a bit thicker and longer. When fully
matured, they look just like a cowhorn. The pepper curves and is on
average about 12 inches long (or better) before color change. During
color change, the pepper has purple streaks to it.

Sounds like you should have your hands full with your garden. I know i
have mine full and all i have in the garden are some tomatoes: heirloom,
beefsteak, celebrity; cabbage collards (about 75 plants), a sweet butter
lettuce variety mix, 2 rows of crook-neck squash, potatoes, candy & snow
bell corn, pickling cukes, string beans galore, and purple hull & dixie
lee peas out the waazoo, and of course bell & hot peppers. Bells not
doing to great this year. Had some sweet peas, but they played out already.

Didn't do much on variety this year, cause i wasn't sure how much time i
would get to work in the garden with the two little ones. Just stuck
with the ones I knew do well here.

The cayenne & cow-horn are thin skin - i guess you would call it that
anyway. Its thin compared to jalapeno anyway. Oh, almost forgot, got
butter beans and a volunteer watermelon plant thats growing in the
string bean patch.

hope you didn't break your *pot!* lol. nah, you know to be careful with
that stuff by now, right?

stuffing myself with pizza in celebration of bre's 6 month milestone,
rae
Old 23-07-2007, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:

Cow horns???

[...]

Old men have no reason to go climbing ladders leaned up against trees.
I'm back down. The pot is up. And it wasn't the pot I was worried about
breakin'.

What you mean two rows of crook necked squash. Two plants and you have a
crook neck farm. Bet your neighbors run when they see you a comin'. Two
rows. Lord have mercy. Speakin' of the Lord, how did choir go this
mornin'?

Old 23-07-2007, 03:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy Rose wrote:

Old men have no reason to go climbing ladders leaned up against trees.
I'm back down. The pot is up. And it wasn't the pot I was worried about
breakin'.

sometimes us young ladies have no business up a tree or ladder either.
I know you weren't worried about a pot, was just teasing ya. Can always
buy another pot, but there is no replacement for you...

What you mean two rows of crook necked squash. Two plants and you have a
crook neck farm. Bet your neighbors run when they see you a comin'. Two
rows. Lord have mercy.

I mean two whole rows about 25ft long. That's just the ones coming off
now. Have some more in different garden plot that's blooming. 3 rows,
bout 50ft long in that one. If you think that is much, you ought to see
how many rows of string beans, peas, collards, and butter beans there
are...we have 3 garden spots. Don't have to worry much bout what
neighbors think. The closest ones are a mile away, and all excess
produce gets preserved in one way or another. (canned or froze)

Speakin' of the Lord, how did choir go this
mornin'?

Went pretty well. No choir today. When the regular pianist can't be
there, I step in. I'm a soloist, used to travel, and all that jazz. I
normally wind up singing by request at all services. When the pianist
can't be there for the choir, I will do 2 or 3 songs. Otherwise, just 1
per service.
I have been training my sister. So I mainly just accompanied her today
at both services. Give her a time to shine....she's 17 now and it's
bout time she came out of her shell.

stuffing myself with pizza in celebration of bre's 6 month milestone,
rae

Ate too much.....extra work-out coming up before sleep.
Old 23-07-2007, 05:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Billy Rose wrote:

[...]

Ah, another good day.

Old 23-07-2007, 04:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 14:41:41 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

Cow horns??? I got me "Corno di Toro" (Bull's Horns) but they are
supposed to be sweet, as are the Giant Aconcagua, Yellow Wax,
Friggitello, Szgedi , and of course the Cal Wonder. Then I have nine
ja-lap-pin-nos and a habanero. Just trying to figure out what I like and
where it grows best. Doing the same with the tomatoes: Striped German,
Mortgage Lifter, Brandywine, Rose, San Marzano Redorta (late season),
Carmello, Green Zebra (mid-season), Peche de Jaune, Marmande, and
Stupice (early season). One each planted in two different locations
(early Sun vs. afternoon Sun) on the hillside. Then there are a few
volunteers, Juliets, I think.

Good planning and testing. I do the same. You should like the Corno
di Toro and the Anconcagua, I did anyway. Had them last year. Always
have Cal Wonder, Buran and Napoleon. I would suggest, for a really
sweet pepper, Golden Marconi, late season, large peppers and large
yields,large plants. We have Red Ruffled Pimientos approaching color.
They are large and thick walled, hopefully a replacement for the Figaro
Pimientos we used to raise. Jimmy Nardello is a smaller sweet, early
frying type pepper that we really like. Two jalapenos and two tabasco
peppers. After reading the thread on Jalapenos, I picked the largest
ones tonite and chawed into opne raw and roasted a couple. Pretty hot,
nice flavor, but no sweat, just some nice burn on the lips. Maybe I am
becoming accustomed to the heat, but it wasn't that hot.

Don't know what you have going for cukes, but we are having great luck
and absoeffinglutely the best tasting cukes with the Japanese
varieties: Japanese Climbing, Japanese Long and Suyo Long. I like the
Suyo best, Lovey like the Climbing best. Climb a trellis easily,
vertical is probably good for you too.

We are eating cukes three times a day, plus in between. None of them
are causing any belching, something "regular" cukes do with me. THe
skins are tender and are not the least bitter, I don't peel them.

Last week I got the urge for Crab Rangoon and went and picked up a
dozen. We had them with hot mustard, wasabi, and cuke
slices......heaven.

But mild ja-lap-pin-nos. It's just not right. Mine seem to be just
right. Any hotter and I'd have to cut them with somethin' and I really
like the flavor when they are roasted. The cayenne and your cow-horns
have thick or thin skin? If I just wanted heat, I'd only grow habaneros.

Now I'm going to go risk my neck hanging a pot from one of the oaks. You
know, the extension ladder and uneven ground thing. Oy.

Hope your knees are better than mine....going up is sorta
ok......coming down is sorta not ok. BTW......how the hell are you
gonna water whatever is in the pot? Stay off the ladder!

Charlie

Oh my first idea was to hang the pot off of this oak but the spot that I
picked would have left it drippin' over the path and probably on me,
since it is next to the water spigot I most often use. Five feet higher
and it would hang over the dwarf citrus and strawberry patch. So up I
went, lashing the ladder to the tree as soon as I could reach it. So the
basket, itself, isn't really up that high but where the chain attaches
to the oak it is. Use chain because my cute little squirrels, with their
great sense of humor, will eat right through nylon cord. I have two
flower pots hangin' off tress now and two each on the 2 trellises.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

[IMG] code is On

The North American Union: Conspiracy Theory or Conspiracy Fact? Robert McKenzie Ponds 0 21-09-2007 12:08 PM
The North American Union: Conspiracy Theory or Conspiracy Fact? Might2Right Ponds 0 21-09-2007 10:41 AM
Squirrel conspiracy Bill Stock Ponds 32 29-09-2004 11:48 PM
Conspiracy Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 06-01-2004 01:04 AM
A conspiracy. Why do they do this to me? JimS. Roses 0 02-05-2003 04:44 PM