Old 16-07-2007, 03:15 PM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food,cooking,rec.gardens

Default Jalapeno Conspiracy

What has happened to jalapeno peppers?

The ones in the supermarket more often than not taste like bell peppers.
I have noticed this over the past few years and it seems to be getting
worse with time. We used to get a dudd now and then but now we rarely
find a hot one.

The solution of course, is to grow them ourselves. Well guess what?

The ones from the garden shops have the same problem so we started
growing our own from seed. Well, guess what again?

This year's jalapenos grown from seeds advertised as hot are perfectly
sweet. We sampled three different plants from different areas of the
garden and they are all the same.

Any thoughts?

js

Old 16-07-2007, 03:38 PM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food,cooking,rec.gardens

"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message
What has happened to jalapeno peppers?

The ones in the supermarket more often than not taste like bell peppers. I
have noticed this over the past few years and it seems to be getting worse
with time. We used to get a dudd now and then but now we rarely find a
hot one.

The solution of course, is to grow them ourselves. Well guess what?

The ones from the garden shops have the same problem so we started growing
our own from seed. Well, guess what again?

This year's jalapenos grown from seeds advertised as hot are perfectly
sweet. We sampled three different plants from different areas of the
garden and they are all the same.

Any thoughts?

I've grown Burpee "Jalapeño M" for the past two years and the peppers had
plenty of kick. What brand & variety did you grow?

Old 16-07-2007, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jack Schmidling wrote:

What has happened to jalapeno peppers?

The ones in the supermarket more often than not taste like bell peppers.
I have noticed this over the past few years and it seems to be getting
worse with time. We used to get a dudd now and then but now we rarely
find a hot one.

The solution of course, is to grow them ourselves. Well guess what?

The ones from the garden shops have the same problem so we started
growing our own from seed. Well, guess what again?

This year's jalapenos grown from seeds advertised as hot are perfectly
sweet. We sampled three different plants from different areas of the
garden and they are all the same.

Any thoughts?

js

Is there any chance that your taste has changed? I've always understood
the jalapeño to be a not-very-hot pepper. They're plenty hot enough for
me, but maybe if you're really comfortable with really hot ones, the
less-hot will taste like nothing much. I'm only thinking out loud -- no
idea otherwise.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Old 16-07-2007, 05:27 PM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food,cooking,rec.gardens

Jack Schmidling wrote:
What has happened to jalapeno peppers?

The ones in the supermarket more often than not taste like bell peppers.
I have noticed this over the past few years and it seems to be getting
worse with time. We used to get a dudd now and then but now we rarely
find a hot one.

The solution of course, is to grow them ourselves. Well guess what?

The ones from the garden shops have the same problem so we started
growing our own from seed. Well, guess what again?

This year's jalapenos grown from seeds advertised as hot are perfectly
sweet. We sampled three different plants from different areas of the
garden and they are all the same.

Any thoughts?

js

You're pampering the plants, and picking the peppers too early.

When buying jalapeños at the grocery store, look for peppers that have
cracks in them, or are turning red. They will be the hotter ones
because they are more mature and/or grown when the plants were more
stressed.

When growing your own, leave them on the plants a while after they get
big. Wait until they have stopped growing for maybe a week (or you can
wait and pick them red)

Or the seed company may have mixed up the seeds and you really got one
of those cursed mild jalapeño varieties.

Bob
Old 16-07-2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens

"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message
What has happened to jalapeno peppers?

The ones in the supermarket more often than not taste like bell peppers. I
have noticed this over the past few years and it seems to be getting worse
with time. We used to get a dudd now and then but now we rarely find a
hot one.

The solution of course, is to grow them ourselves. Well guess what?

The ones from the garden shops have the same problem so we started growing
our own from seed. Well, guess what again?

This year's jalapenos grown from seeds advertised as hot are perfectly
sweet. We sampled three different plants from different areas of the
garden and they are all the same.

Any thoughts?

js

I feel yer pain, little brother. A farmer down here in the chile capitol
said that the chiles on the ends of the field that got less water were
hotter. And to watch your variety. hth
Edrena

Old 17-07-2007, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 16, 10:38?am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message

What has happened to jalapeno peppers?

The ones in the supermarket more often than not taste like bell peppers. I
have noticed this over the past few years and it seems to be getting worse
with time. We used to get a dudd now and then but now we rarely find a
hot one.

The solution of course, is to grow them ourselves. Well guess what?

The ones from the garden shops have the same problem so we started growing
our own from seed. Well, guess what again?

This year's jalapenos grown from seeds advertised as hot are perfectly
sweet. We sampled three different plants from different areas of the
garden and they are all the same.

Any thoughts?

I've grown Burpee "Jalape o M" for the past two years and the peppers had
plenty of kick. What brand & variety did you grow?

I've been growing jalapenos from the same packet of Burpee seeds for
five seasons now, those suckers are too hot, stick a fork in em and
they'll melt the tines.

Hot, and big too: http://i7.tinypic.com/66kzvko.jpg

Too hot for me, I trade away most with my neighbor for his garlic and
Yukon golds.

Old 17-07-2007, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

It's weird - before I grew jalapeños, I'd only tasted them out of jars, or
at restaurants, maybe in salsa or cooked into other stuff. They never
impressed me as hot at all. At home, when I want heat in the recipe, I use
the cayenn peppers from the garden, fresh or dried. When I grew jalapeños, I
figured I'd be getting peppers I could stuff, cook briefly, and woof 'em
down like potato chips. Ha. Not.

Old 17-07-2007, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 16, 7:40?pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

It's weird - before I grew jalape os, I'd only tasted them out of jars, or
at restaurants, maybe in salsa or cooked into other stuff. They never
impressed me as hot at all. At home, when I want heat in the recipe, I use
the cayenn peppers from the garden, fresh or dried. When I grew jalape os, I
figured I'd be getting peppers I could stuff, cook briefly, and woof 'em
down like potato chips. Ha. Not.

Guess what, they're four times as hot when dried and crushed. The
usual pizza parlor pepper sprinkle I can literally cover the slice and
not feel it's too hot, but not with the ones I grew myself, they are
too wicked to eat.

Old 17-07-2007, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Is there any chance that your taste has changed? I've always understood
the jalapeño to be a not-very-hot pepper.

It certainly has changed but is not dead. This all started when I
learned that my blood pressure was too high. One of the home
remedies/internet factoids was that capsicum reduces blood pressure.

Up to that time, I abhorred hot food and considered it uncivilized and
fit only for howling savages.

Well, after a concerted effort to modify my palate, it now takes a
jabenero to really challenge me. However, a proper jalapeno still has
that nice warm mouth feel and is not confused with the dudds I am
referring to. They simply have no heat.

Last year we harvested from about now till frost and nothing changed.
Most of them were duds and a very few were hot. We had to add a few
jabeneros to each jar of pickled jalapenos to get a reasonably hot batch.

None of this had any effect on my blood pressure BTW but it has expanded
my horizons.

js

Old 17-07-2007, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

[...]

Have you noticed any other foods that don't taste the way you remember them
from the past?

Old 17-07-2007, 01:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Have you noticed any other foods that don't taste the way you remember them
from the past?

Of course but that is just growing up and becoming more sophisticated.

It has nothing to do with the fact that some jalapenos taste hot and
others taste like bell peppers.

The color, age and stress do not seem to have anythng to do with it.

Yesterday we picked about a pound from all over the garden, a few from
each plant. Most tasted like bell peppers and a few were hot.

js

Old 17-07-2007, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Same experiences here. However, this year, my home grown jalapenos have a
good kick to them. Used same seed as last 2 years. Have had alot of rain.
So, contrary to another reply, the amount of water wasn't a factor. Its
been somewhat cooler here due to the cloud cover and rain. I did add some
sandy loam and some 5-10-10 granulated fertilizer late winter to the garden.
I've always picked the jalapenos just before they start changing color.

As far as age, I've gotten more tolerant to spicey foods etc. How about
you?
Dave

Old 17-07-2007, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jack Schmidling wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Have you noticed any other foods that don't taste the way you remember them
from the past?

Of course but that is just growing up and becoming more sophisticated.

It has nothing to do with the fact that some jalapenos taste hot and
others taste like bell peppers.

The color, age and stress do not seem to have anythng to do with it.

Yesterday we picked about a pound from all over the garden, a few from
each plant. Most tasted like bell peppers and a few were hot.

js

Normally, ja-lap-pin-nos are hottest as they start to change color. I've
had similar irritations with store bought. Hoping that my garden grown
ja-lap-pin-nos have some heat. I like ja-lap-pin-nos for their flavor
but I've taken to mincing up half a habanero with them to give them some
oomph.

My understanding is that taste buds do lose their sensitivity with aging
which explains why sometimes geezers some times like really funky foods.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 17-07-2007, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

jalapenos

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...sjalapeno.html

Warning Will Roberson.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 17-07-2007, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
William Wagner wrote:

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

jalapenos

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...sjalapeno.html

Warning Will Roberson.

Bill

???? Uh, too much breakfast this morning?

I think I'll let my ja-lap-pin-nos do their thing before I order out. I
have a couple of different ones out there. Hoping to be reduced to
cinders, don't cha know. Didn't plant any habaneros this year. Probably
a mistake. Only need one plant for blending. Hmmmm.

"Warning Will Roberson" is this a reference to "Danger Will RoberTson"
of "Lost in Space" ignominy? Always did like Robbi though and his role
in "Forbidden Planet". Movie doesn't hold up too well for me. Basically
a WWII era style buddie movie with an interesting premise.

Time for breakfast and some hot peppers.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

[IMG] code is On

The North American Union: Conspiracy Theory or Conspiracy Fact? Robert McKenzie Ponds 0 21-09-2007 12:08 PM
The North American Union: Conspiracy Theory or Conspiracy Fact? Might2Right Ponds 0 21-09-2007 10:41 AM
Squirrel conspiracy Bill Stock Ponds 32 29-09-2004 11:48 PM
Conspiracy Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 06-01-2004 01:04 AM
A conspiracy. Why do they do this to me? JimS. Roses 0 02-05-2003 04:44 PM