Old 17-07-2007, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Jalapeno Conspiracy

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

In article
,
William Wagner wrote:

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

jalapenos

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...sjalapeno.html

Warning Will Roberson.

Bill

???? Uh, too much breakfast this morning?

I think I'll let my ja-lap-pin-nos do their thing before I order out. I
have a couple of different ones out there. Hoping to be reduced to
cinders, don't cha know. Didn't plant any habaneros this year. Probably
a mistake. Only need one plant for blending. Hmmmm.

"Warning Will Roberson" is this a reference to "Danger Will RoberTson"
of "Lost in Space" ignominy? Always did like Robbi though and his role
in "Forbidden Planet". Movie doesn't hold up too well for me. Basically
a WWII era style buddie movie with an interesting premise.

Time for breakfast and some hot peppers.

http://www.penzeys.com/ It is worth a look at the peppers just for
the heat ratings. Some are too hot hence the warning. Lost in space
is right on is it not ? Their paper catalogue is informative just in
case you have a crop failure.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...eyspiquin.html

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 17-07-2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/17/07 12:59 PM, in article
, "Billy
Rose" wrote:

In article
,
William Wagner wrote:

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

jalapenos

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...sjalapeno.html

Warning Will Roberson.

Bill

???? Uh, too much breakfast this morning?

I think I'll let my ja-lap-pin-nos do their thing before I order out. I
have a couple of different ones out there. Hoping to be reduced to
cinders, don't cha know. Didn't plant any habaneros this year. Probably
a mistake. Only need one plant for blending. Hmmmm.

"Warning Will Roberson" is this a reference to "Danger Will RoberTson"
of "Lost in Space" ignominy? Always did like Robbi though and his role
in "Forbidden Planet". Movie doesn't hold up too well for me. Basically
a WWII era style buddie movie with an interesting premise.

Ah - the best way to see Forbidden Planet is with a bunch of science
geeks/nerds and pick the plot to pieces.

Time for breakfast and some hot peppers.

Lunch and peppers here

Old 17-07-2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
William Wagner wrote:

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

In article
,
William Wagner wrote:

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

[...]

Now don't you go defecatin' the character of my ja-lap-pin-nos. I have
nine plants and maybe a dozen peppers about the size of my little finger
and they are next up next as soon as I finished my store bought (over
bought actually). Have to go out to the store for my "fruited chicken
over rice dish" for tonight's dinner. I'm trying to live at the maximum
now with my freedom being counted in days. Grape sampling should start
in a month and that will be the end of life as I love it. No, I don't
expect any sympathy. Working with like minded anarchists and listening
to non-corporate news and good music will get me ****ed-off enough to
tide me over my next lay-off. Anyway, think I'll swing into the nursery
and see if they don't have an unclaimed habenero. I can shoehorn it into
the garden somewhere, I think.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 17-07-2007, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 7/17/07 12:59 PM, in article
, "Billy
Rose" wrote:

In article
,
William Wagner wrote:

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

[...]

Pick the plot to pieces? Wasn't the plot lifted right out of
Shakespeare's "The Tempest"

(or was that Christopher Marlow? :-)

Best regards,
Bob
Old 17-07-2007, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/17/07 3:22 PM, in article , "zxcvbob"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 7/17/07 12:59 PM, in article
, "Billy
Rose" wrote:

In article
,
William Wagner wrote:

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

[...]

Yes, but with nerds, you get that and science (or lack there of) commentary
and that can be hysterical. (Best quantum mechanic in the galaxy)

Old 17-07-2007, 10:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:18:38 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

I'm trying to live at the maximum
now with my freedom being counted in days. Grape sampling should start
in a month and that will be the end of life as I love it. No, I don't
expect any sympathy. Working with like minded anarchists and listening
to non-corporate news and good music will get me ****ed-off enough to
tide me over my next lay-off. Anyway, think I'll swing into the nursery
and see if they don't have an unclaimed habenero. I can shoehorn it into
the garden somewhere, I think.

Whoa, you poor old sumbo. Back in harness.

Giddy-up, Billy.

*sniff*, gonna miss ya' old fellow.
Charlie

Gamafazzel confunderbic batterrap grrrrr
Old 17-07-2007, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

wrote:

I'm trying to live at the maximum
now with my freedom being counted in days. Grape sampling should start
in a month and that will be the end of life as I love it. No, I don't
expect any sympathy. Working with like minded anarchists and listening
to non-corporate news and good music will get me ****ed-off enough to
tide me over my next lay-off. Anyway, think I'll swing into the nursery
and see if they don't have an unclaimed habenero. I can shoehorn it into
the garden somewhere, I think.

Whoa, you poor old sumbo. Back in harness.

Giddy-up, Billy.

*sniff*, gonna miss ya' old fellow.
Charlie

Gamafazzel confunderbic batterrap grrrrr

Joost pusted thees oofer in SMC

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/~jbc/home/chef.html

It turns out that in those with the genetic disposition for metabolic
syndrome that muscle insulin resistance preceeds increase in belly fat.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-msd071607.php

From your URL.

"The new findings promise to help untangle the early molecular events of
a syndrome at the root of one of the world's most significant health
issues. ³Knowing how insulin resistance alters energy storage before it
leads to more serious problems can help those susceptible prevent the
onset of the metabolic syndrome,² Shulman said.
Another key observation was that skeletal muscle insulin resistance
precedes the development of insulin resistance in liver cells, and that
fat production in the liver is increased. ³These findings also have
important implications for understanding the pathogenesis of
nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, one of the most prevalent liver
diseases in both adults and children² Shulman said.

The good news, according to Shulman, is that insulin resistance in
skeletal muscle can be countered through a simple intervention:
exercise."

I'd suggest that the shift from sand lot playing to organized games
has reduced the amount of exercise significantly. Practice on yada
yada and game on Yada Yada not enough. "leave those kids alone" comes
to mind . We played every day for hours and in winter it was ice
skating and snow removal aka snow forts.
Today young folks deal with less physical work, more hours though and
sedentary entertainment. I suggest shaking your booty often is a
cheap good thing. Fun too.

Dance the night away!

Bill musing yea what about Vitamin D.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 18-07-2007, 02:53 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens

Jack Schmidling wrote:
What has happened to jalapeno peppers?

The ones in the supermarket more often than not taste like bell peppers.
I have noticed this over the past few years and it seems to be getting
worse with time. We used to get a dudd now and then but now we rarely
find a hot one.

The solution of course, is to grow them ourselves. Well guess what?

The ones from the garden shops have the same problem so we started
growing our own from seed. Well, guess what again?

This year's jalapenos grown from seeds advertised as hot are perfectly
sweet. We sampled three different plants from different areas of the
garden and they are all the same.

Any thoughts?

js

I've said over the past few years that the jalapeños taste like
concentrated Bell peppers.

My friend agrees

I like them for substituting green peppers for taste, a little goes a
long way in cooking but
it's missing something. The jalapeño taste.

I believe it is a conspiracy.

Old 21-07-2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Jack Schmidling wrote:

wrote:

I've said over the past few years that the jalapeños taste like
concentrated Bell peppers.

I believe it is a conspiracy.

Thank you. I have been reading this thread (which I started) for a week
and tasting jalapenos from the garden and the supermarket.

They are everything that has been said about them.... about the nicest
pepper on earth but they are not hot anymore.

They, like everything else, have been dumbed down for the mushbrained
masses.

If I come across a hot one, I will save the seeds and try to re-culture
them.

We have been screwed again by those who "know" what we should like....
Wonder bread, Bud, chicken breast and now sweet jalapenos

js

Is there such a thing as an heirlooom pepper seed exchange? Like for
tomatoes?

Yes, several of them, Google will show the way. In addition several
seedsmen rate their jalapeno's as to heat. I don't grow jalapeno's but
the local nurseries carry both the TAMU (Texas A&M University) mild and
the hotter versions. Keep it in mind though that jalapeno's are one of
the mildest chiles out there.

George

Old 21-07-2007, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Jack Schmidling wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Au contraire George,
a good ja-lap-pin-no shout hit you like a .410, Mr Cheney knows what I
mean. These pitiful pip-squeak peppers in the stores are breakin' the
hearts of Mexicans everywhere. Mine too. It has me so nervous, I haven't
had the nerve to try what's out in the garden. I've been reduced to
adding a habanero to my salsas just to get respectable heat. In the bad
old days, I'd puree me up some ja-lap-pin-nos and have myself a good
hiccuping session.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

[IMG] code is On

The North American Union: Conspiracy Theory or Conspiracy Fact? Robert McKenzie Ponds 0 21-09-2007 12:08 PM
The North American Union: Conspiracy Theory or Conspiracy Fact? Might2Right Ponds 0 21-09-2007 10:41 AM
Squirrel conspiracy Bill Stock Ponds 32 29-09-2004 11:48 PM
Conspiracy Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 06-01-2004 01:04 AM
A conspiracy. Why do they do this to me? JimS. Roses 0 02-05-2003 04:44 PM