Old 19-07-2007, 11:46 AM
Registered User

Location: North Herts
Exclamation Water Conservation

Hi, I'm really concerned about water conservation. Does anyone know of any good products to divert/harvest rain water???
Old 19-07-2007, 02:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Water Conservation

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:46:57 +0100, billiebobuk
wrote:

Hi, I'm really concerned about water conservation. Does anyone know of
any good products to divert/harvest rain water???

Why the concern? Water is not something that we consume when we use
it. We just borrow it. Regardless of the useage, the water goes back
into the water table after we have used it. The only exception is
that portion which evaporates and that precipates back to earth.

There may be local water shortages but the earth's supply is nearly
limitless. There is more water on earth than any other commodity.
Most of it is salty but desalinization processes exist - ask Aruba.

John
Old 19-07-2007, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Hi, I'm really concerned about water conservation. Does anyone know of
any good products to divert/harvest rain water???

Why the concern? Water is not something that we consume when we use
it. We just borrow it. Regardless of the useage, the water goes back
into the water table after we have used it. The only exception is
that portion which evaporates and that precipates back to earth.

Considerable amounts of rainfall run off- via drains, streams, creeks,
rivers, into Bays or Oceans directly. Hardly going to the water table.

Billie-

Where do you live? Do any of your neighbors have cisterns?

--
john mcwilliams
Old 19-07-2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Hi, I'm really concerned about water conservation. Does anyone know of
any good products to divert/harvest rain water???

Are you talking about devices to re-direct rain into barrels,
cisterns, etc?

And/or ways of watering your garden "conservatively"

For the latter, I input some words like "devices for water
conservation in the home garden", and got many hits, of which this is
only one:

http://tinyurl.com/37bqnk (from H&G). Many others.

For the former, I input words like "storing rainwater" and got many
hits, of which this is one:

http://www.buildyourdream.co.nz/eco_...use_supply.htm

I'm sure you will find lots of good advice by surfing persistently.
Of course there must be books in the library or book store that go
into home rainwater storage systems.

Good luck, and thanks for your progressive approach.

Persephone

Old 19-07-2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Hi, I'm really concerned about water conservation. Does anyone know of
any good products to divert/harvest rain water???

Why the concern? Water is not something that we consume when we use
it. We just borrow it. Regardless of the useage, the water goes back
into the water table after we have used it. The only exception is
that portion which evaporates and that precipates back to earth.

There may be local water shortages but the earth's supply is nearly
limitless. There is more water on earth than any other commodity.
Most of it is salty but desalinization processes exist - ask Aruba.

John

Where I live, minerals in the soils render ground water unusable even
for agriculture, let alone drinking. Our water is imported from
northern California, hundreds of miles away.

The total precipitation and ground water (where useable) in the state is
already insufficient to meet the needs of people, industry, and
agriculture. The only thing that has prevented a crisis is the fact
that the reservoirs still have adequate supplies from record-breaking
rains two years ago (about 14,565,000 acre-feet in state reservoirs plus
additional amounts in recharged aquifers). If the current drought does
not end this winter, we will likely face rationing next summer.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 19-07-2007, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Hi, I'm really concerned about water conservation. Does anyone know of
any good products to divert/harvest rain water???

Why the concern? Water is not something that we consume when we use
it. We just borrow it. Regardless of the useage, the water goes back
into the water table after we have used it. The only exception is
that portion which evaporates and that precipates back to earth.

Considerable amounts of rainfall run off- via drains, streams, creeks,
rivers, into Bays or Oceans directly. Hardly going to the water table.

Billie-

Where do you live? Do any of your neighbors have cisterns?

Forestville on the Russian River. I doubt anyone here knows what a
cistern is.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 19-07-2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

rainwater tanks come to mind we alss use 55 us/gal plastic drums as
well we have pic's of our set ups on our site.

wrote:

Hi, I'm really concerned about water conservation. Does anyone know of
any good products to divert/harvest rain water???

With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 19-07-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Hi, I'm really concerned about water conservation. Does anyone know of
any good products to divert/harvest rain water???

Out here in western Oregon, metal roofs are popular with the rainwater
collection crowd. We will probably go that route when we build.
http://www.foodnotlawns.com/keyline_water.html
http://www.omick.net/water_use/water_use.htm
http://www.smartcommunities.ncat.org...on.shtml#water

As the climate in England is similar to that of western Oregon and
Washington, examples from those areas (e.g., Portland, Seattle) may
be of most use to you.

Another good and simple tool for water conservation is drip irrigation,
combined with mulch.

(And yes, even though water recycles nicely, taking care of subterranean
aquifers is important. Once they collapse, they don't recover.
If you'd like a painless introduction to aquifer collapse, try the
Sarah Andrews mystery "Dead Dry". Sarah is a geologist, as is her
protagonist. http://sarahandrews.net/index.htm )
Old 19-07-2007, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:48:25 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

Forestville on the Russian River. I doubt anyone here knows what a
cistern is.

Isn't there some current flap about Sonoma County Water Agency and
rationing or a mandatory reduction? Or is this simply another
journalistic flap?

Charlie

Oh, ja sure, you betcha. State water board wants a 15% reduction in the
amount of water that is pumped out of the Russian River. Boy, must be a
slow news day in the mid-west. Anyway, the water board asked nice in
June. Use rate didn't drop as much as they. Now they say they are going
to get tough, inspect meters, and rely on snitches to report waste. They
are prepared to do anything but stop development.

COUNTY TOUGHENS RULES ON WATER USE
Officials next week to reveal allocation figures for each city, water
district

By BOB NORBERG
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

The Sonoma County Water Agency is unilaterally tightening the tap after
failing so far to meet a state-mandated cut in the amount of water drawn
from the Russian River.

Specific allocation figures will be established and the agency, like the
state, says water could be cut off altogether for communities that
continue to miss conservation targets.

"Until now it was a more general, 'You need 15 percent,' " said Pam
Jeane, the Water Agency's deputy director for operations. "Now we are
giving them hard targets."

Some cities already are looking at stricter measures.

Windsor will vote tonight on an ordinance that would limit lawn
irrigation, and Petaluma is considering a law requiring a water
conservation check before a home can be sold.

Jeane said the new targets and the possible loss of water are intended
to provide certainty for the cities and water districts supplied by the
agency.

"I don't see it as a threat," she said. "It gives them something
tangible to shoot for. For some of the cities, if they need to save more
than they thought, they need to implement more stringent measures."

She said it is unlikely that anyone would be cut off, citing health and
safety concerns.

Similarly, the state Water Resources Control Board warned last week it
would consider prohibiting Sonoma County from drawing any water from the
river if the conservation order isn't fulfilled.

The Water Agency was told in mid-June to cut its diversions by 15
percent from July 1 to Oct. 28 from the same period in 2004, saving the
water in Lake Mendocino for the fall salmon run.

The agency passed the conservation message to its individual water
contractors -- Santa Rosa, Rohnert Park, Cotati, Windsor Petaluma,
Sonoma and the Valley of the Moon and North Marin water districts.
Together, the contractors serve 600,000 homes and businesses from
Windsor to Sausalito.

During the first two weeks of the mandatory cuts, however, the saving
was only 9.9 percent, short of the mandatory target, according to the
Water Agency.

"We are going to do all we can to meet the goal," Jeane said. "If we
miss the goal, it will be very bad, not for just the Water Agency, but
the customers also. We need to do it. The state board expects us to do
it, and we need to do it."

On Monday, the agency plans to tell each contractor what its allocation
will be.

That will take the guesswork out of how much water they need to save and
could trigger mandatory conservation measures, Jeane said.

"We are providing them with more certainty to what they are shooting
for," she said.

The cities and water districts already have conservation programs in
place and are poised to implement mandatory requirements.

By knowing exactly how much water they can use, they will know if
mandatory measures need to be implemented, said Krishna Kumar, general
manager of the Valley of the Moon Water District and vice chairman of
the contractors' technical advisory committee.

"We have to meet the state-mandated reduction, and this is one way to
approach it," he said.

"We advocate for that," said Glen Wright, Santa Rosa's deputy director
of water resources. "We would like to see what target we are shooting
for."

The allocations will be based on a 15 percent reduction in the 2004
level and will take into account population and per capita water use, so
cities will not be penalized for already having strong conservation
programs, Water Agency officials said.

You can reach Staff Writer Bob Norberg at 521-5206 or
.
Old 19-07-2007, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Kay Lancaster wrote:

the climate in England is similar to that of western Oregon and
Washington

You get at least 2 days of rain every month?

Old 20-07-2007, 06:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:09:20 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

Oh, ja sure, you betcha. State water board wants a 15% reduction in the
amount of water that is pumped out of the Russian River. Boy, must be a
slow news day in the mid-west. Anyway, the water board asked nice in
June. Use rate didn't drop as much as they. Now they say they are going
to get tough, inspect meters, and rely on snitches to report waste. They
are prepared to do anything but stop development.

Stop development? heh heh.......that is going to happen on it's own
accord, but that is another story, neh?

Usually is pretty slow out here in the flyover. Just runnin' some
checks on weather and such and somehows saw something about Sonoma
County, oh yeah, it was a global warming and CA wine production
article, and you know, one thing leads to another, and here we are, and
there you are and this is it.

Later, cold ones are a needin' some attention and blinks aneedin'
watchin'.

BTW........county fair time tomorrow evening. Lovey and I are taking
Elder G-son to the County Fair for Terrifying Rides, Corn Dogs, Cotton
Candy and all those other Goodies that are guaranteed to plug yer
arteries and stop your heart. Hope to see ya' around the next day.

Charlie

Reminds me. My bed is half full. Best be shufflin' off. Have a good time
and eat somethin' expeditious.