Old 19-08-2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Root-o-Rama!

I finally got around to taking some cuttings from my 'Blackie' sweetpotato
vine on Wednesday. Yesterday (Friday) I checked the glass they are in and
discovered they have roots an inch long already!! Talk about instant
gratification -- no wonder kids love them in school...

Hope I don't get overrun this winter when I'm keeping the potted cuttings on
the enclosed porch for next spring. ;-] I generally leave my other
house-type plants and sturdier orchids outside until the night-time temps
drop to the mid-40s, usually sometime in October. I move them back out when
the night temps are steadily above the mid-40s in the spring. Have never
grown this plant before, and have no idea how tender it is -- any
suggestions as to how long I can leave the potted cuttings outdoors this
fall would be much appreciated. TIA!

Happy trails....

Sue Drake
Beautiful Butte County, CA
Sunset Zone 7, USDA Zone 8

Old 19-08-2007, 11:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Cliff & Sue Drake said:

I finally got around to taking some cuttings from my 'Blackie' sweetpotato
vine on Wednesday. Yesterday (Friday) I checked the glass they are in and
discovered they have roots an inch long already!! Talk about instant
gratification -- no wonder kids love them in school...

Hope I don't get overrun this winter when I'm keeping the potted cuttings on
the enclosed porch for next spring. ;-] I generally leave my other
house-type plants and sturdier orchids outside until the night-time temps
drop to the mid-40s, usually sometime in October. I move them back out when
the night temps are steadily above the mid-40s in the spring. Have never
grown this plant before, and have no idea how tender it is -- any
suggestions as to how long I can leave the potted cuttings outdoors this
fall would be much appreciated. TIA!

Why worry about taking cuttings from such a common plant? If you really
want to have it again next season, just save the tuber. =)

--

Eggs

Is Marx's tomb a communist plot?
Old 19-08-2007, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Why worry about taking cuttings from such a common plant?

Now, now, any plant that can be put in water on Wednesday and have
inch-long roots by Friday is worth a few props, for entertainment
value if nothing else (at this rate, you almost can "watch the grass
grow").
Old 19-08-2007, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jim Kingdon said:

Why worry about taking cuttings from such a common plant?

Now, now, any plant that can be put in water on Wednesday and have
inch-long roots by Friday is worth a few props, for entertainment
value if nothing else (at this rate, you almost can "watch the grass
grow").

lol. Ok, true. =)

Just wait 'till they see the tuber, though. HEH.

--

Eggs

-I know it sounds like I'm in denial, but I'm not.
Old 20-08-2007, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote:
Why worry about taking cuttings from such a common plant? If you really
want to have it again next season, just save the tuber. =)

The plant is currently in a large planter with several others -- I thought
I'd try to see if I can overwinter them all in the pot. I'm taking cuttings
of all, as Emergency Backup Spares, in case I need them. Be prepared! 8-]

Happy trails....

Sue

Old 20-08-2007, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jim Kingdon" wrote:
Why worry about taking cuttings from such a common plant?

Now, now, any plant that can be put in water on Wednesday and have
inch-long roots by Friday is worth a few props, for entertainment value if
nothing else (at this rate, you almost can "watch the grass grow").

==========
And that's the truth! The roots have doubled in size as of today -- at this
rate, they'll be taking over the table they're on if I don't get them potted
soon. Highly entertaining, IMHO. And yes, I do know that I'm easily
amused. ;-]

Happy trails....

Sue

Old 20-08-2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote:
Just wait 'till they see the tuber, though. HEH.

==========
Yikes. Will I need a back-hoe? =8-o

Happy trails....

Sue

Old 20-08-2007, 03:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article er says...
Why worry about taking cuttings from such a common plant? If you really
want to have it again next season, just save the tuber. =)

What's the best way of saving tubers inside over winter?

Old 20-08-2007, 03:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 20, 6:02 am, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Mark Anderson said:

In article says...
Why worry about taking cuttings from such a common plant? If you really
want to have it again next season, just save the tuber. =)

What's the best way of saving tubers inside over winter?

I've brought them in and kept them in the basement. Keep them out of light.

--

Eggs

They told me I was gullible.... and I believed them.

I love sweet potato vine but stopped buying them because they are
always tattered by munching bugs by mid summer.

[IMG] code is On

New root from an external root? Mike Orchids 10 01-01-2005 07:34 PM
[IBC] Crasulla - Jade - To root prune or not to root prune Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 0 29-04-2003 01:32 AM
root rot bb Orchids 4 08-02-2003 01:49 PM
Root pruning David in Liverpool Orchids 2 31-01-2003 01:14 AM
[IBC] root theory 101 Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 3 27-01-2003 04:26 AM