Old 28-08-2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Another Bee Bites the Dust

On 8/28/07 12:25 PM, in article
, "enigma"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 8/27/07 9:49 PM, in article
, "enigma"
wrote:

busy. i bought a place in upstate NY, mostly for summer
use by the SO's family. it has a nice veggie garden spot
oh, and black currents! i was really surprised &
delighted to find them.

Sounds nice!

the ban on black currents was recently (3 years ago i think)
repealed in NY. i was surprised to find them growing wild. i'm
going to try starting some from seed. if they grow i'll
probably take them back to NY though. NH isn't so enlightened
about currents yet. i'm a big fan of currents, black or red
(i've not seen white ones yet)

I love currents. Interestingly, the "ornamental" ones are just fine

i need to redo my upper garden. i think it'll be an herb
garden, but with a lilac because i'm not moving the poor
thing *again*.

Need chives! LOL

hah! chives are a weed (or is that a groundcover... g).
Boo is really into herbs & gardening. he was totally smitten
by the herballist at the Renaissance faire. he was spending
all his allowance on herb plants & dried herbs and wanted to
spend all day hanging out at her booth.

how's your summer?

Long form or short form
Short form - summer from hell. DS broke his leg, needed
surgery (3 screws stay put, one comes out in a month). I
cut my left index finger, needed nine stitches, still
having issues with the scar.

index finger cuts suck! have you tried putting vitamin E oil
on the scar tissue?
how did your son break his leg? that sounds like a pretty bad
green stick break!

It was no green stick - remember he's 15 and 6 feet. It was a "spiral"
fracture

I hate yellow jackets. They are just nasty to be nasty.

yup. especially in August. i had an arborial nest under the
porch on year. i thought it was paper wasps so i left it
alone... until August when they started stinging me when i was
hanging laundry 10 or more feet away from the nest.
my skunk is missing this year so i expect we'll be finding
huge ground nests soon. he was 5 years old so i guess he died
of old age. he used to hang out in the chicken barn & eat with
the barn cats. he did a great job eating yellowjacket nests.
lee

Ah a good reason for skunks

Old 28-08-2007, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 28, 9:25 am, enigma wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote :

On 8/27/07 9:49 PM, in article
, "enigma"
wrote:
[...]

In case anyone is interested, unseasoned meat tenderizer, applied as
soon as possible to the stung area - which you liberally moisten with
water first - takes away pain and digests the venom. I've used this
remedy on my family for 40 years, but I never was stung by a wasp till
just this week. I ran in the house, wet my hand, sprinkled on the
meat tenderizer which has sat in mu cupboard most of my married life,
and in just a few minutes, the searing pain left and my hand was
neither swelled nor red.
Deb

Old 28-08-2007, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

On 8/28/07 3:50 PM, in article
.com, "thistletoes"
wrote:
snip

In case anyone is interested, unseasoned meat tenderizer, applied as
soon as possible to the stung area - which you liberally moisten with
water first - takes away pain and digests the venom. I've used this
remedy on my family for 40 years, but I never was stung by a wasp till
just this week. I ran in the house, wet my hand, sprinkled on the
meat tenderizer which has sat in mu cupboard most of my married life,
and in just a few minutes, the searing pain left and my hand was
neither swelled nor red.
Deb

I've used baking soda with equal success. Both are in the hiking emergency
kit.

If there is plantain around (the weed, not the banana G), chew up a
leaf and apply it to the sting. Beeks all over have recommended this
method. I haven't been stung recently, so I haven't tried it.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 28-08-2007, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

On 8/28/07 3:50 PM, in article
.com, "thistletoes"
wrote:
snip

In case anyone is interested, unseasoned meat tenderizer, applied as
soon as possible to the stung area - which you liberally moisten with
water first - takes away pain and digests the venom. I've used this
remedy on my family for 40 years, but I never was stung by a wasp till
just this week. I ran in the house, wet my hand, sprinkled on the
meat tenderizer which has sat in mu cupboard most of my married life,
and in just a few minutes, the searing pain left and my hand was
neither swelled nor red.
Deb

I've used baking soda with equal success. Both are in the hiking emergency
kit.

If there is plantain around (the weed, not the banana G), chew up a
leaf and apply it to the sting. Beeks all over have recommended this
method. I haven't been stung recently, so I haven't tried it.

The underside is for drawing and the top side is for healing. Plantain
likes to grow on my driveway.

We have used it under regular band aids for a long time.

Just a suggestion......Swedish lore.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 28-08-2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 28, 6:00 pm, William Wagner wrote:
In article ,

Ann wrote:
Cheryl Isaak expounded:

On 8/28/07 3:50 PM, in article
.com, "thistletoes"
wrote:
snip

[...]

http://www.ocutech.com/ High tech Vison aid- Hide quoted text -

hey y'all,

tobacco &/or tobacco juice works in that department as well.....

rae

Old 29-08-2007, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

"raeannsimpson" wrote:
On Aug 28, 6:00 pm, William Wagner
wrote:

Ann wrote:
Cheryl Isaak expounded:

wrote:
[...]

So does raw onion.

Seahag

Old 29-08-2007, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 16:08:55 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 8/28/07 3:50 PM, in article
.com, "thistletoes"
wrote:
snip

In case anyone is interested, unseasoned meat tenderizer, applied as
soon as possible to the stung area - which you liberally moisten with
water first - takes away pain and digests the venom. I've used this
remedy on my family for 40 years, but I never was stung by a wasp till
just this week. I ran in the house, wet my hand, sprinkled on the
meat tenderizer which has sat in mu cupboard most of my married life,
and in just a few minutes, the searing pain left and my hand was
neither swelled nor red.
Deb

I've used baking soda with equal success. Both are in the hiking emergency
kit.

I use nothing, wait 30-60 minutes and it is virtually gone.
Can't find any clue that I was stung the next day. I've been
stung many times by most everything except Scorpions (none
in this area).

This reminds me of Granny Clampett's cure for the common
cold. It was some horrible concoction she would brew up and
feed you. In a week to 10 days your cold would be cured.
Worked every time! (grin)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Old 29-08-2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Leon Fisk wrote in
:

I use nothing, wait 30-60 minutes and it is virtually gone.

Lucky you. I got stung by a teeny little sweat bee this spring and ended
up on steroids for an arm that was swollen from wrist to armpit and half-
way 'round the circumferance -- and still swelling three days later.

I used Plantain in it immediately and although it helped with the sting, it
did nothing to stop the reaction. Well... wait... I *hope* that was an
unstopped reaction or I'd hate to see a full-blown one.
Old 30-08-2007, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 21:34:04 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote in
:

I use nothing, wait 30-60 minutes and it is virtually gone.

Lucky you. I got stung by a teeny little sweat bee this spring and ended
up on steroids for an arm that was swollen from wrist to armpit and half-
way 'round the circumferance -- and still swelling three days later.

I used Plantain in it immediately and although it helped with the sting, it
did nothing to stop the reaction. Well... wait... I *hope* that was an
unstopped reaction or I'd hate to see a full-blown one.

Bummer...

I don't know if it is lucky or not. It still hurts like the
begeezers for a few seconds. Really annoying when the
culprit gets away too, before I can squash it.

I know that it is no trivial matter for some people. I
didn't mean to be flippant. I have my doubts though that the
home remedies mentioned are of much help for a reaction like
you are getting...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b