Old 03-09-2007, 09:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Abother Beckett bites the dust.

Our new Beckett ($197.00) just quit! This is the last Beckett we'll ever
buy. We returned it to Home Depot for a refund. What pumps have you found
to be the least problematic? This is for a 2000g pond with about 10 medium
size koi.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Another Beckett bites the dust.

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 14:44:52 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

Our new Beckett ($197.00) just quit! This is the last Beckett we'll ever
buy. We returned it to Home Depot for a refund. What pumps have you found
to be the least problematic? This is for a 2000g pond with about 10 medium
size koi.

My Becketts have always perform well (7-8 years), but than I don't have
them in the pond, they're at the tail end of the filter system so pumping
clear water. I have a small Beckett in a box filter in the QT that is over
12 years old. Only clean it once/year.

Most everyone swears by Mag Drives.... I know I had one encased in a mesh
basket for quite some time (2-3 years) and it was fine in the pond. Only
removed as barrel filter was installed.

As far as size, one needs to know pipe size, length and head/height for
recommendations. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 04-09-2007, 12:42 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

[...]

I say Mag Drive. Home Depot grinds suppliers for price and often does
not allow them to sell same item elsewhere. For instance, most of the
major tool companies that sell at HD offer cheaper made Home Depot-only
products for this reason (plastic gears instead of metal etc.). Wouldn't
be surprised if Beckett is like this.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message
I say Mag Drive. Home Depot grinds suppliers for price and often does
not allow them to sell same item elsewhere. For instance, most of the
major tool companies that sell at HD offer cheaper made Home Depot-only
products for this reason (plastic gears instead of metal etc.). Wouldn't
be surprised if Beckett is like this.

=============================
Quite possible. Beckett wont be seeing any more of my money.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Our new Beckett ($197.00) just quit! This is the last Beckett we'll ever
buy. We returned it to Home Depot for a refund. What pumps have you
found
to be the least problematic? This is for a 2000g pond with about 10
medium
size koi.

My Becketts have always perform well (7-8 years), but than I don't have
them in the pond, they're at the tail end of the filter system so pumping
clear water. I have a small Beckett in a box filter in the QT that is over
12 years old. Only clean it once/year.

Are you using them externally - outside the pond? Mine are all used in the
pond, inside 2 plant baskets clam-shelled together. My first Beckett lasted
since 1996. It just died for good this summer. My first Becketts would last
for 5 and 6 years. These newer ones, suddenly, just seem to seaze up. The
impellers wont turn, even by hand... as thought water corroded them in some
way. But they don't pop the UPS, they just die. The other one that quit
about 2 weeks ago decided to run again when I checked it earlier this
evening. Go figure. ?!?!?!? That one is barely 4 months old. I think
I'll switch to Danners/Pondmasters as someone suggested.

Most everyone swears by Mag Drives.... I know I had one encased in a mesh
basket for quite some time (2-3 years) and it was fine in the pond. Only
removed as barrel filter was installed.

As far as size, one needs to know pipe size, length and head/height for
recommendations. ~ jan

I just went ahead and ordered the Pondmaster 3200 XP Hy-Drive, something new
the website said. Maybe I'll have better luck with this one. :-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:57 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

[...]

That should be a good pump for you. Let us know if this is the case.

George

Old 04-09-2007, 03:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Oase are supposed to have the longest lived pumps. but expensive. I
like the mag drives too. I have a couple Pondmasters. IIRC they are
Danners. Ingrid

Old 05-09-2007, 05:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 20:49:16 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

Are you using them externally - outside the pond?

To my knowledge Beckett only makes sump pumps, so they're in water, in the
last barrel of the gravity fed filter.

I'll switch to Danners/Pondmasters as someone suggested.

I think this is a good idea, they save power. They aren't as powerful as a
Beckett, in that they lose gph fast due to head. As in, on my pond, the
Danner 1800 will only give 1300-1400 gph, while my 1600 Becket will give me
1500 gph. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 05-09-2007, 02:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Are you using them externally - outside the pond?

To my knowledge Beckett only makes sump pumps, so they're in water, in
the
last barrel of the gravity fed filter.

I'll switch to Danners/Pondmasters as someone suggested.

I think this is a good idea, they save power. They aren't as powerful as
Beckett, in that they lose gph fast due to head. As in, on my pond, the
Danner 1800 will only give 1300-1400 gph, while my 1600 Becket will give
me
1500 gph. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Hmm, live hard, die young. That must be Becket's motto.

George

Old 05-09-2007, 11:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
I think this is a good idea, they save power. They aren't as powerful as a
Beckett, in that they lose gph fast due to head. As in, on my pond, the
Danner 1800 will only give 1300-1400 gph, while my 1600 Becket will give
me
1500 gph. ~ jan

=======================
That's quite a difference. The old Beckett served us faithfully for years.
But as someone suggested, the quality may be slipping. I'll avoid Beckett
for awhile. I have a smaller Beckette (traded for koi) that's holding down
the fort until the new Pondmaster gets here.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"~ jan" wrote in message
I think this is a good idea, they save power. They aren't as powerful as a
Beckett, in that they lose gph fast due to head. As in, on my pond, the
Danner 1800 will only give 1300-1400 gph, while my 1600 Becket will give
me
1500 gph. ~ jan

=======================
That's quite a difference. The old Beckett served us faithfully for years.
But as someone suggested, the quality may be slipping. I'll avoid Beckett
for awhile. I have a smaller Beckette (traded for koi) that's holding down
the fort until the new Pondmaster gets here.

At the Pet Industry trade shows, you don't see Beckett. You will always
see Pondmaster.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:11 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Kurt" wrote in message
At the Pet Industry trade shows, you don't see Beckett. You will always
see Pondmaster.

===================
That doesn't surprise me a bit. I don't mind the S&H charges for
Pondmasters if they last awhile.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:58 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"Kurt" wrote in message
At the Pet Industry trade shows, you don't see Beckett. You will always
see Pondmaster.

===================
That doesn't surprise me a bit. I don't mind the S&H charges for
Pondmasters if they last awhile.

I got mine from azponds.com and if I remember right, shipping was free.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 07-09-2007, 03:58 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message
At the Pet Industry trade shows, you don't see Beckett. You will always
see Pondmaster.

===================
That doesn't surprise me a bit. I don't mind the S&H charges for
Pondmasters if they last awhile.

I'd rather have something I know will work. One lousy afternoon at a
really inopportune time rushing to change a dead pump will generally
cure you. :-)

Old 07-09-2007, 07:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gareee©" wrote in message
I got mine from azponds.com and if I remember right, shipping was free.

That's where I ordered my new Pondmaster from. It should be here in a few
days.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.