Old 05-09-2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tamerask Tree (sp?)

I'm not sure if I'm spelling it right, but does anyone know where I
get get some seeds for this type of junk tree?

Shane

Old 06-09-2007, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Shane wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm spelling it right, but does anyone know where I
get get some seeds for this type of junk tree?

Shane

Tamarack? Tamarind? I have no idea where to get seeds for either one
although an ethnic food store may well have fresh tamarind fruits on the
shelf for part of the year anyway and where there are fruits there are
often viable seeds. I'd think that the climatic requirements might be
rather difficult to accommodate for tamarinds away from the equatorial
regions. Tamarack is a pretty rugged NA tree which seems as though it
can grow anywhere -- is that what you mean by "junk tree"?

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 06-09-2007, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Shane expounded:

I'm not sure if I'm spelling it right, but does anyone know where I
get get some seeds for this type of junk tree?

Shane

I believe you mean the Tamarisk tree. See here
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1E1-tamarisk.html

And it is also known as the Tree of Life
http://www.utopiasprings.com/tams.htm

Seems it is a noxious weed tree in the western US
http://forestry.about.com/b/a/191033.htm . I don't think you're going
to make any friends if you do find a source, from what I've read about
this tree.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 06-09-2007, 06:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 5, 6:04 pm, Ann wrote:
Shane expounded:

I'm not sure if I'm spelling it right, but does anyone know where I
get get some seeds for this type of junk tree?

Shane

I believe you mean the Tamarisk tree. See herehttp://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1E1-tamarisk.html

And it is also known as the Tree of Lifehttp://www.utopiasprings.com/tams.htm

Seems it is a noxious weed tree in the western UShttp://forestry.about.com/b/a/191033.htm. I don't think you're going
to make any friends if you do find a source, from what I've read about
this tree.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
e-mail address is not checked
******************************

Wow, Thanks! You found the tree that I have been trying to track down
for some time now. I actually have one growing in my backyard and we
cut it down really low every year and it grows right back again. I
actually want to use to to hide a cement wall on our hill side in the
backyard. Unfortunately I have never seen that tree spread and I have
tried to grow it in other places, but had no luck.

Shane

Old 06-09-2007, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Shane expounded:

Wow, Thanks! You found the tree that I have been trying to track down
for some time now. I actually have one growing in my backyard and we
cut it down really low every year and it grows right back again. I
actually want to use to to hide a cement wall on our hill side in the
backyard. Unfortunately I have never seen that tree spread and I have
tried to grow it in other places, but had no luck.

It's funny how some trees that are a problem in some areas of the
country just aren't a pest where you (or I) are/am (how's that for a
tortured sentence? G)

I hear all the time what a horrid tree the pawlonia is, or the mimosa,
catalpa, etc. Around here they just aren't a problem. Nor is vinca,
the groundcover. English ivy, on the other hand (!!)

Old 07-09-2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

In zone 6b/7a here in SE PA it grows very well but is not invasive. I
have never seen it spread by seed, and I could not get cuttings to
root. I have bought the three that I have at a local garden center. I
was not even sure it would grow well here, but then I saw one out on
the main road outside of an old farm house. It was 20 feet tall and
very old and interestingly twisted.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 6, 7:03 pm, McGerm wrote:
In zone 6b/7a here in SE PA it grows very well but is not invasive. I
have never seen it spread by seed, and I could not get cuttings to
root. I have bought the three that I have at a local garden center. I
was not even sure it would grow well here, but then I saw one out on
the main road outside of an old farm house. It was 20 feet tall and
very old and interestingly twisted.

I'm in the Utah Zone so whatever zone number that is and it grows very
well in the summer time. I also have tried everything to get cuttings
to root, but have been unsuccessful. It's probably too late to plant
them now and I doubt any of the local garden center around here would
even carry it.

Shane

Old 08-09-2007, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Although it is not an official noxious weed in the State of Utah, it
is listed noxious in Uintah County, and in at least six other western
states, including the surrounding states of Colorado, Nevada, Wyoming,
and New Mexico." From a Utah .gov Site

If you are in an area that is semi-arid it will do well, but in a semi-
arid climate is where it is considered invasive and noxious.

Old 13-09-2007, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote:
Shane expounded:

Wow, Thanks! You found the tree that I have been trying to track down
for some time now. I actually have one growing in my backyard and we
cut it down really low every year and it grows right back again. I
actually want to use to to hide a cement wall on our hill side in the
backyard. Unfortunately I have never seen that tree spread and I have
tried to grow it in other places, but had no luck.

It's funny how some trees that are a problem in some areas of the
country just aren't a pest where you (or I) are/am (how's that for a
tortured sentence? G)

I hear all the time what a horrid tree the pawlonia is, or the mimosa,
catalpa, etc. Around here they just aren't a problem. Nor is vinca,
the groundcover. English ivy, on the other hand (!!)

with that in mind, Annie me girl, wouldya like some Vinca Major for ye
garden woodlands??? GBSEG I've NEVER, EVER seen Vinca WILT, but the
drought that we're barely hinted at being just humid dusty (we got rain
a couple of days ago and the sucking sounds from the ground and leaves
outside the bedroom window kept me and James awake for
hours.............) but the VINCA, the vinca looked as if I'd doused it
with gasoline and set a match to it, it's been so dry here in Faerie
Holler. The fig tree is loaded with figs, but the ants and flying
assorted residents have put out the word far and wide that there be
moisture and it's SWEET!! so no figs for us, yet..........

but if you'd like to take on some of the Vinca, I'd be glad to pass you
a few roots along, just as an experiment. It's not hard to remove it you
keep on top of it, and my variety has a HUGE blue morning glory flower
in late spring.

maddie
Old 15-09-2007, 11:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

madgardener expounded:

but if you'd like to take on some of the Vinca, I'd be glad to pass you
a few roots along, just as an experiment. It's not hard to remove it you
keep on top of it, and my variety has a HUGE blue morning glory flower
in late spring.

No thanx, Maddie, I've got vinca myself - but it behaves itself. I
don't want your beautiful but disobedient pal to give it any ideas!
BSEG

Old 17-09-2007, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

yeah... I got my figs sweating sugar too and the wasps and even the
FLIES are on em. I have fight the critters for my figs. but we have
plenty of water everywhere for the critters, but I think the figs are
a bit stressed, first a ton of rain, and then nothing for a while,but
I been watering them almost every day cause my figs are in pots.
Ingrid

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:30:38 -0400, madgardener
wrote:
The fig tree is loaded with figs, but the ants and flying
assorted residents have put out the word far and wide that there be
moisture and it's SWEET!! so no figs for us, yet..........

[IMG] code is On

Dig up tree root from large Cedar tree without Killing Tree? Albert[_4_] Gardening 8 12-08-2008 01:37 PM
Tamerask Tree (sp?) Shane Lawns 0 05-09-2007 08:00 PM
Tamerask Tree (sp?) Shane Lawns 0 05-09-2007 07:41 PM
Tree Expert - Can you identify this tree M Thomas Lawns 4 10-06-2003 03:09 AM
Free tree from Austin EnergyCity tree trimming gary Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:10 AM