Old 08-10-2007, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hot Here in NE USA

Just read a weather guy who wrote this hot dry spell may cause more
damage than a hurricane. I look about my place and notice no color on
treesıs just a sort of malaise. Been watering by hand on things that
get my attention.
My small home made pond has been needing water more often. But and
here is a something I've not seen before. I have two possums coming to
the pond in daylight. One got caught in my leaf protection fiber
fence. I freed him and with out a snarl he wandered away like drunken
animal.
I was thinking Rabid as I have never seen a possum here before 8o PM.
Must be tough on our wildlife!

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 09-10-2007, 01:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

William Wagner expounded:

Just read a weather guy who wrote this hot dry spell may cause more
damage than a hurricane. I look about my place and notice no color on
treesıs just a sort of malaise. Been watering by hand on things that
get my attention.
My small home made pond has been needing water more often. But and
here is a something I've not seen before. I have two possums coming to
the pond in daylight. One got caught in my leaf protection fiber
fence. I freed him and with out a snarl he wandered away like drunken
animal.
I was thinking Rabid as I have never seen a possum here before 8o PM.
Must be tough on our wildlife!

It was in the high 80's last week with high humidity, just nasty for
October. It finally rained early this morning, for the first time in
weeks, my weather station registered .65". We need so much more! A
huge catalpa tree down the street is all wilted, I've never seen
anything like it.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 09-10-2007, 12:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

I thought I was going to drown getting out of the rink Saturday night. The
puddles were ankle deep and on 93, the nuts were hydroplaning by me at
stupid speeds.

Yea, it rained like hell up in Lebanon, Maine, too. It's been plenty
wet up at that house, but not down here.

We ended up with .65" yesterday and another dribble of .07" today.
It's supposed to rain off and on all week, but what we really need is
a good daylong soaking. We're down over 5" still.

I'd better go check the stuff I just moved and make sure they didn't lose
all their soil.

Ayup.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 9, 6:38 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 10/8/07 8:01 PM, in article ,

"Ann" wrote:
William Wagner expounded:

[...]

Cheryl- Hide quoted text -

We finally had rain here also....just not where we wanted it!
The shower mixer/distributor "rained" in my wall about a week ago, and
of course it ran down onto the carpet & under the vinyl...ugh!!!

We did have a bit of the other "rain" on Saturday night also...

Old 09-10-2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

"William Wagner" wrote in message

Just read a weather guy who wrote this hot dry spell may cause more
damage than a hurricane. I look about my place and notice no color on
treesıs just a sort of malaise. Been watering by hand on things that
get my attention.
My small home made pond has been needing water more often. But and
here is a something I've not seen before. I have two possums coming to
the pond in daylight. One got caught in my leaf protection fiber
fence. I freed him and with out a snarl he wandered away like drunken
animal.
I was thinking Rabid as I have never seen a possum here before 8o PM.
Must be tough on our wildlife!

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Observation on climatology. Cold fronts now and then generally go from
north to south. The cold fronts used to be center of USA or slightly off
center to the east when I was growing up watching the weather on TV. Now,
they seem to have gone westward.

The whitetail deer in the last drought here were so skinny due to lack of
food. Ribs showing etc. A couple of native live oaks were killed, by what,
I do not know. The buzzards like to hang out on them sometimes. The
drought was 3 years long. The recovery this year has been spectacular.
Can't see any long term damage other than possibly those 2 live oaks. Hope
this will be the case for your region of the country in the future.
Dave

Old 09-10-2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/9/07 9:05 AM, in article
, "raeannsimpson"
wrote:

On Oct 9, 6:38 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 10/8/07 8:01 PM, in article ,

"Ann" wrote:
William Wagner expounded:

[...]

Oh no!

Cheryl

Old 10-10-2007, 01:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

With the dense fogs at night lingering until 9-10am and the 85F days
my lawn has rusted. My shoes turned orange walking out to the garden
and back! Yuck.

Jim

S Central PA

Old 10-10-2007, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote in
:

Cheryl Isaak expounded:

I thought I was going to drown getting out of the rink
Saturday night. The puddles were ankle deep and on 93, the
nuts were hydroplaning by me at stupid speeds.

Yea, it rained like hell up in Lebanon, Maine, too. It's
been plenty wet up at that house, but not down here.

We ended up with .65" yesterday and another dribble of .07"
today. It's supposed to rain off and on all week, but what
we really need is a good daylong soaking. We're down over
5" still.

not until the loggers are done!
they couldn't get into the woods last winter because it
didn't freeze. they're only able to cut now because it's so
dry. even another inch of rain right now & they'll have to
leave because it gets boggy & we can't afford to damage the
sugarbush.
we had a total of .75" here. NOAA says 100% chance of rain
tonight. my weather station says clear... hmmm.
lee

Old 10-10-2007, 11:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/9/07 9:16 PM, in article ,
"enigma" wrote:

Ann wrote in
:

[...]

Well, it poured here last night!
Cheryl

Old 10-10-2007, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

enigma expounded:

not until the loggers are done!
they couldn't get into the woods last winter because it
didn't freeze. they're only able to cut now because it's so
dry. even another inch of rain right now & they'll have to
leave because it gets boggy & we can't afford to damage the
sugarbush.

Oh, OK, we'll let the rain hold off for you! )

we had a total of .75" here. NOAA says 100% chance of rain
tonight. my weather station says clear... hmmm.

..80 so far this week. It's drizzling. I hope your loggers are
finished soon, I was out back digging in the new part of the garden
(harvesting New England Potatoes, average 40 to 50 lbs each) and it's
still very dry past 6" or so. This isn't doing the trees any good at
all, yet.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

enigma expounded:

my weather station says clear

I forgot to ask - what kind of station do you have? Mine's a Davis
Vantage Pro 2, it is fun and works well, but I still need to mount the
anemometer.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

Well, it poured here last night!

it started raining shortly after i posted last night, but we
only got .20". it was raining at .38"/hour for a while then
slowed down to .13"/hour... can you tell i just got a new
weather station?
total rainfall since Saturday is .98". i actually prefer this
sort of slow rain because it doesn't cause runoff. it's slow
enough to soak in.
i cleaned out the shade garden area last week & put the 2
hostas, 2 of the astilbe & the 4 hellebores in. they look
pretty happy. boy, were they rootbound (except the hostas
because i cut the pieces out for you & a friend in WI). Boo
planted one of the astilbes near the kitchen door. the soil
there is really sandy, but it's shady & the daylillies didn't
like it there. i ripped out the day lillies trying to take
over the doorstep there & put the lady's mantle in there. i
still will be pulling the lillies out between the stone steps
for a while. i'm sure i missed a lot of the tubers. at least
lady's mantle is lower growing & not so messy with dead flower
stalks... however, it appears the slugs like it. never noticed
that on my other one.
lee Barnes & Noble, around 9:15 tomorrow morning?

--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be
Old 10-10-2007, 02:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote in
:

enigma expounded:

my weather station says clear

I forgot to ask - what kind of station do you have? Mine's
a Davis Vantage Pro 2, it is fun and works well, but I
still need to mount the anemometer.

Oregon Scientific WMR968.
i need to get the cover for the temperature & humidity sensor.
the heavy dews we've had lately are messing up the humidity
readings. everything is solar powered with battery backup. i
downloaded the software to post to Weather Underground, but i
need to get a long enough USB cable to reach my desktop from
the computer. the one i have has an 18" cable, which just
about reaches from the USB port on the front of the computer
to the top of the case.
i'm not really happy with the location of my anemometer. i
think i'd like to move everything up to the roof.
lee

[IMG] code is On

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Hot pepper's not hot?? Pepperqueen Gardening 2 13-08-2004 03:23 PM