Old 31-10-2007, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Awful Quite, What's Everyone Up To?

Myself, I'm busy with building a fence for the hounds so they have an
outside run area during the day instead of hanging out in the house.

Got pics up at http://www.hildenbrands.com/gallery/dog-run/gallery/ if
anyone is bored.

Currently working on how to build and hang the gates. I've got one gate
done, kicking back and forth the best way to attach its sister to the
right which will be bolted to a brick wall.

Pretty well set on using those plastic punch anchors that expand when
you screw a bolt into them, set into the mortar of the brick to ensure a
strong grip on the bricks with very little chance of brick fracture.

So what about you all? Anything fun?
Old 31-10-2007, 11:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote in
:

Myself, I'm busy with building a fence for the hounds so
they have an outside run area during the day instead of
hanging out in the house.

Got pics up at
http://www.hildenbrands.com/gallery/dog-run/gallery/ if
anyone is bored.

ooh. fancy. my dogs just have electric fence... no, not that
stupid invisible stuff, just electric fence set at 1', 2', &
4'. that pretty much discourages the chickens from going into
the dog's areas & keeps the dogs where they belong.
i used to let them run in the pasture, but i got a pair of
nanny goats & they beat the snot out of my Malamute (he's very
non-dominant), so he has his own yard now. sometimes my Great
Pyr/Border Collie cross goes out with him, but they don't
really like each other much (the GP/BC is older & the Mal is
too active for his taste). the goats don't bother the GP/BC
for some reason.

my current project is brushing out the llamas before it gets
too wintery. Juni was easy, only 2 hours, but she's all short
hairs. i spent 3 hours on Sally yesterday & she still has some
mats in her undercoat. i let her go after 3 hours though. i
didn't really want to try her (seemingly infinite) patience.
llamas don't like much handling.
today is Russian's turn. he's dumb as a rock & a horrible
mess. he's been rolling in pine, so he's probably all pitch &
sticks
lee
Old 31-10-2007, 11:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Scott Hildenbrand expounded:

So what about you all? Anything fun?

Cleaning up the gardens, planting garlic (finally!), and I've got
tulips to get into the ground. Other than that I've busied myself in
the house organizing things, they do tend to get out of control over
the gardening season

Nice dog run! I'll be busy getting a chicken coop up for next spring,
that's the big project for this fall.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 31-10-2007, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
Myself, I'm busy with building a fence for the hounds so they have an
outside run area during the day instead of hanging out in the house.

Got pics up at http://www.hildenbrands.com/gallery/dog-run/gallery/ if
anyone is bored.

Currently working on how to build and hang the gates. I've got one gate
done, kicking back and forth the best way to attach its sister to the
right which will be bolted to a brick wall.

Pretty well set on using those plastic punch anchors that expand when
you screw a bolt into them, set into the mortar of the brick to ensure a
strong grip on the bricks with very little chance of brick fracture.

So what about you all? Anything fun?

I'm out harvesting the deer that got fat sponging off our gardens all
summer

Frank
Old 01-11-2007, 03:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 30, 7:50 pm, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:
Myself, I'm busy with building a fence for the hounds so they have an
outside run area during the day instead of hanging out in the house.

Got pics up athttp://www.hildenbrands.com/gallery/dog-run/gallery/if
anyone is bored.

Currently working on how to build and hang the gates. I've got one gate
done, kicking back and forth the best way to attach its sister to the
right which will be bolted to a brick wall.

Pretty well set on using those plastic punch anchors that expand when
you screw a bolt into them, set into the mortar of the brick to ensure a
strong grip on the bricks with very little chance of brick fracture.

So what about you all? Anything fun?

Hard work, but fun too. I have been replacing walkways in my garden,
which
have been there for about 20 years. Cheap pavers that "made do" Am
replacing
them with ones that are a little more attractive. One path is what I
call the
:crazy quilt" style: a combo of several different pavers in different
sizes along
with a number of very old brick that I have found here and there. It's
like doing
a jigsaw puzzle with different sized pieces and a few pieces missing.
I finished
it today. Looks good.
Also cutting some shrubs back so DH can run them thru the chipper/
shredder
for next spring's mulch.
I'm enjoing the roses; they are going nuts with this weather (days
70-80 and
nights 40 -50) They love it! Hot Cocoa and Daybreaker are over 6 feet
now
and covered with blooms. Knockout has so many flowers it is difficult
to see
leaves!!
Bought a new shrub at the nursery 40% off sale: Elderberry 'Black
Beauty'.
Planting pansies/violas for winter color, and a few winter vegies,
too.
Oh, and put out a few cyclamen, too. Gorgeous colors....
Raking a few leaves; they are just beginning to fall.

We are taking a day off from work and going on a fall color drive to
the
Coast Range and small valleys to the west of us. It is like going back
in time
about 250 years, to early California. Beautiful country. Will take a
lunch and
maybe hike a bit.

Emilie
NorCal

Old 01-11-2007, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/31/07 7:15 AM, in article
, "enigma"
wrote:

Scott Hildenbrand wrote in
:

[...]

Hey Lee, you going spin that wool? I'll take some roving for felting!
Cheryl

Old 01-11-2007, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

Hey Lee, you going spin that wool? I'll take some roving
for felting! Cheryl

i don't have it in roving. i can sort of make it into batts...
it's a bit long stapled for my carder! i have a large cement
mixing tub of a nice red off of Perl in the wood room. i can
probably get some usable white off of Cisco when i get to him
too. he's a dilute Appy though, so there will be some red
mixed in. this stuff felts great though!
lee
Old 01-11-2007, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
[...]

Paths sound nice.. I'd seen a few patios made out of "found" material..
Bricks from here and there, pavers, slabs, etc.. Makes for a unique look.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/1/07 12:24 PM, in article
, "enigma"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

Hey Lee, you going spin that wool? I'll take some roving
for felting! Cheryl

i don't have it in roving. i can sort of make it into batts...
it's a bit long stapled for my carder! i have a large cement
mixing tub of a nice red off of Perl in the wood room. i can
probably get some usable white off of Cisco when i get to him
too. he's a dilute Appy though, so there will be some red
mixed in. this stuff felts great though!
lee

I'd like some if you won't use/sell it all..

Do you use the beans (from the hind end) straight in the garden or compost
them some first?
Cheryl

[IMG] code is On

Is it just my bad gardening (planting my tomatoes out too late) orhas the weather just been awful for growing peppers and tomates furlow United Kingdom 16 02-09-2010 07:23 PM
awful invasive matting creeper 0tterbot Australia 2 25-02-2007 10:27 AM
My awful lawn gary foster Lawns 7 20-04-2006 11:39 AM
This is awful! Helena Handbasket Bonsai 1 20-05-2005 10:02 PM
That new Garden Prog awful MG United Kingdom 15 24-03-2003 10:44 PM