Old 03-11-2007, 08:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hedge trimmers

I'm looking for a decent hedge trimmer. I'm thinking of a lightweight
cordless to use on a 10' high, 200-foot long Rose-of-Sharon hedge. Any
recommendations under $110?
Old 03-11-2007, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman said:

I'm looking for a decent hedge trimmer. I'm thinking of a lightweight
cordless to use on a 10' high, 200-foot long Rose-of-Sharon hedge. Any
recommendations under $110?

3lb. and 100% cordless:

http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=1962

--

Eggs

Most books now say our sun is a star. But it still knows how to change back
into a sun in the daytime.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Phisherman said:

I'm looking for a decent hedge trimmer. I'm thinking of a lightweight
cordless to use on a 10' high, 200-foot long Rose-of-Sharon hedge. Any
recommendations under $110?

3lb. and 100% cordless:

http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=1962

How's the charge last on that thing?
Old 04-11-2007, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 3, 7:43?pm, Scott Hildenbrand
wrote:
Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Phisherman said:

I'm looking for a decent hedge trimmer. I'm thinking of a lightweight
cordless to use on a 10' high, 200-foot long Rose-of-Sharon hedge. Any
recommendations under $110?

3lb. and 100% cordless:

http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=1962

How's the charge last on that thing?

How long do two cold tall ones last? g

Old 04-11-2007, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

Scott Hildenbrand said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Phisherman said:

I'm looking for a decent hedge trimmer. I'm thinking of a lightweight
cordless to use on a 10' high, 200-foot long Rose-of-Sharon hedge. Any
recommendations under $110?

3lb. and 100% cordless:

http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=1962

How's the charge last on that thing?

A helluva lot longer than a battery, I assure you.

--

Eggs

-Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Phisherman said:
I'm looking for a decent hedge trimmer. I'm thinking of a lightweight
cordless to use on a 10' high, 200-foot long Rose-of-Sharon hedge. Any
recommendations under $110?
3lb. and 100% cordless:
http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=1962

How's the charge last on that thing?

How long do two cold tall ones last? g

Ahhh, liquid power cells.. Now, that all depends on the consumption
levels of the motor.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

I know they have dead man switches, but I also know that a lot of people
use the override rather than holding the trigger. If you are in that
situation, I wonder if you want to be balanced on an unstable ladder,
holding something that will trim you as easily as it will trim the
hedge, hoping that you won't fall.

Unless you are very tall, or have a stable platform to stand on, I think
you would be far safer with a manual trimmer, which will do just as good
a job, just as quickly. (My wife prefers the manual trimmer to the
corded model I have, even for our short hedge, and I know I'm lucky that
she likes doing the trimming).

Old 05-11-2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 4, 8:19?pm, "Not@home" wrote:
I wonder if you want to be balanced on an unstable ladder,
holding something that will trim you as easily as it will trim the
hedge, hoping that you won't fall.

Unless you are very tall, or have a stable platform to stand on, I think
you would be far safer with a manual trimmer, which will do just as good
a job, just as quickly.

There are various pole hedge trimmers; electric, cordless rechargeable
electric, and petrol models... all price ranges... from a $100 Black &
Decker to a $140 Ryobi, to $500+ commercial models. These tools allow
one to stand firmly on the ground and trim hedges ten feet and more
overhead. Professional landscapers don't climb ladders to trim
hedges, why should you.

http://www.echo-usa.com/product.asp?...gory=PROATTACH

Old 05-11-2007, 11:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman wrote:
I'm looking for a decent hedge trimmer. I'm thinking of a lightweight
cordless to use on a 10' high, 200-foot long Rose-of-Sharon hedge. Any
recommendations under $110?

The trimmers are for a cancer-treatment weakened 73-year-old man and
he won't use manual hedge trimmers. I can imagine a trigger button
would be annoying. Last year they were trimmed using hand pruners, a
time-consuming process.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman wrote:
I'm looking for a decent hedge trimmer. I'm thinking of a lightweight
cordless to use on a 10' high, 200-foot long Rose-of-Sharon hedge. Any
recommendations under $110?

On that note, I know full well what it feels like to whack yourself with
one of those.. My wife had an old one with a hair trigger which I was
using one day to box the boxwoods... I have NO idea how it happened but
in an instant that dang thing whacked the tip of my finger in half,
grazing the bone in the process.

Now, I'm not one to cuss at all, but I managed several choice expletives
while shaking my hand and flinging blood all over the bush before
grabbing the tip and marching into the house, barking at my stepson to
get the door for me as the blood trickled down my arm.

I tend to avoid hospitals, so I cleaned it myself, spreading the wound
as I held it under the faucet then inspecting for any issues before
wrapping the finger in a compression bandage.

Still use that evil little thing, but tend to make totally sure I've got
a grip on it and am holding it before it starts up..

It's on my replacement list for next season.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 20:05:00 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I'm looking for a decent hedge trimmer. I'm thinking of a lightweight
cordless to use on a 10' high, 200-foot long Rose-of-Sharon hedge. Any
recommendations under $110?

After some research, it looks like the cordless models are only good
for a short time. Everyone that has had a corded model says they
eventually and accidentally cut the cord. And, I don't want another
gasoline tool. So now I'm looking at the hand trimmers/shears, maybe
Made in Germany or a Felco brand. I see there are straight and wavy
cutting blades--why is one preferred over the other? TIA
Old 05-11-2007, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman wrote:

The trimmers are for a cancer-treatment weakened 73-year-old man.

Don't you think you might have mentioned that limitation in your
original request... next you're gonna add that he's a double amputee
and blind. Didja every suppose that maybe you should be trimming
those giant hedges for him.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 12:22:18 -0800, Sheldon wrote:

Phisherman wrote:

The trimmers are for a cancer-treatment weakened 73-year-old man.

Don't you think you might have mentioned that limitation in your
original request... next you're gonna add that he's a double amputee
and blind. Didja every suppose that maybe you should be trimming
those giant hedges for him.

I already offered to do it. I need to persuade getting a quality
pair of manual trimmers. No, he's not blind nor crippled, just a
little set-in-his-ways about what he wants. It's amazing how cancer
treatment greatly weakens the muscles, though. The good news is that
he has finished all treatments and so far no cancer has been detected.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 5, 2:49?pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 20:05:00 GMT, Phisherman wrote:
I'm looking for a decent hedge trimmer. I'm thinking of a lightweight
cordless to use on a 10' high, 200-foot long Rose-of-Sharon hedge. Any
recommendations under $110?

After some research, it looks like the cordless models are only good
for a short time. Everyone that has had a corded model says they
eventually and accidentally cut the cord. And, I don't want another
gasoline tool. So now I'm looking at the hand trimmers/shears, maybe
Made in Germany or a Felco brand. I see there are straight and wavy
cutting blades--why is one preferred over the other? TIA

The wavy blades do better with thicker tougher wood but they don't
make so even a cut as the light weight precision models... it's a good
idea to have both types. Leevalley.com has very nice hedge shears, I
have both... the heavy one with fiber glass handles and the precision
one with aluminum handles, both work exceptionally well when used as
intended. But I don't think any 73 year old, especially when ill,
should be trimming a two hundred foot row of ten foot tall hedges...
that's a herculean task for a twenty year old in tip top shape.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman wrote:
I'm looking for a decent hedge trimmer. I'm thinking of a lightweight
cordless to use on a 10' high, 200-foot long Rose-of-Sharon hedge. Any
recommendations under $110?

The trimmers are for a cancer-treatment weakened 73-year-old man and
he won't use manual hedge trimmers.

Bit of an omission, eh? Your post said "you" were looking for a hedge
trimmer. Leading everyone to believe that was actually the case. I can't
imagine an electric cordless lasting long enough (even with extra
batteries), but you've probably already figured that out.

IMO, a motorized hedge trimmer would probably be a poor choice of tool, for
a Hibiscus syriacus. I've always used hand pruners for them. And, who in
their right mind plants a 200' hedge of that plant anyway? heh

Also, at 10' high, a powered hedge trimmer would be a bit unwieldy,
especially for a 'weakened 73-year old man'. Hell, I wouldn't attempt it,
and I'm just over half his age.

Does he try and keep it formally trimmed? That size of hedge, of that
plant, should look just fine, grown naturally.

I can imagine a trigger button
would be annoying. Last year they were trimmed using hand pruners, a
time-consuming process.

Anything is going to be 'a time-consuming process', given a hedge of that
size. But, that was the best choice of tool, if they /really/ want to keep
it formal.

Me, while I never would have planted it in the first place, I'd stick with
the hand pruners.

Just my $.02
--

Eggs

Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?