Old 16-12-2007, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What does your garden look like now?

In article ,
"CK"
dvbvjhbfxduyhfutyopeihwygiwapoe,klyhilunwqubqerre qvwje,ion@kjrdnguyrhb
gnio;rmgbuuybhrgyesfunmeuignuidr.org wrote:

"rachael simpson" wrote in message
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 12/15/07 8:19 AM, in article , "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

Where are you David, I may have to come for a visit. Early fall sounds
heavenly. Why no red bellied snakes? They aren't poisonous? Just bad
tempered?

Not early fall, early summer. East coast Australia, north of Newcastle.
Red-bellied black snakes are quite deadly but not bad tempered. We also
have
eastern brown snakes: deadly, fast and bad tempered. It's a nice place
but
you must have respect for the locals.

David

Aha - that explains all - there is a red bellied snake in the US, not
poisonous and "one of the good guys".

Have a great summer!

We have red bellied moccasins, but no one considers them a "good guy"
around here!!

BTW, my "garden" is finally a soggy mess! It has been raining here since
around 4 this afternoon. The garden is also covered in hay and horse & cow
you-know-what, as we relocated the corral for a bit. Will use a different
area come spring. Glad for the rain, but would like to see a bit of snow
before winter is over. Very thankful for the rain right now though!

~Rae

F..k off.

That you again Geoff-consulting forester from Osceola county (just South
of Cadillac), Michigan? There are all kinds of jerks and you must
include all of them. You know where you can go and what you can do.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.gallup.com/poll/102577/Half-Strongly-
Disapprove-Bush-Job-Performance.aspx
Old 16-12-2007, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Mine is mostly covered with the 5-6 inches of snow that fell yesterday. In
a few hours, while I'm waiting at the bus stop, I'll take some shots of
the
stuff poking above the snow.

Cheryl

A half dozen or more of the orchid plants hanging from the oak trees are in
bloom, 3 different colors of Christmas cactus add their hues, as do the
hibiscus shrubs. Plenty of oranges still on the tree. But the grass is
looking a bit brown with the watering restrictions and the colder weather.
(Central Florida)

Old 16-12-2007, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What does your garden look like now?/Billy

Billy wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

BTW, my "garden" is finally a soggy mess! It has been raining here since
around 4 this afternoon. The garden is also covered in hay and horse &
cow you-know-what, as we relocated the corral for a bit. Will use a
different area come spring. Glad for the rain, but would like to see a
bit of snow before winter is over. Very thankful for the rain right now
though!

~Rae

Hi Billy!

Been watchin' the weather reports and maps for your region (NC), waitin'
for the rain. Lord, that was a long wait but I guess most of Georgia is
still waiting. I know your garden was sufferin' but how did it work out?
Last I remember, some of your plants were bouncing back.

Tomatoes and various peppers were the only ones to last at the end. The
first hard freeze/frost got them about a month ago. Flowers/Rose bushes
all pretty much survived. I'll know more about a few of them come spring.

Our rainfall here in Sonoma County is only about half of what it was
last year (about 4" so far I think).

The rain quit this morning. Not sure of exactly how much rain we got but
there are more than a few puddles still out. It was enough to completely
put out a small wildfire (about 50 acres) near by.

We are also waiting for the snow. With any luck they will get a dusting
of snow up on Cobb Mt. in Lake County soon. Otherwise, it is a 4 hr.
drive up to Tahoe (major snow). The elevation there makes some of us
geezerly flat-landers a little dizzier than usual.

I mainly want the snow for my kids to see and have a few minutes for the
older one to play in it...Said there may be a chance for some flurries
about the middle of the week. I'm sure they'll probably change that one
on us by then! That generally happens anyway.

Good to hear from you:-)

You too! I've been lurking about a bit. Not much going on in the gardens
that I would want to comment on. Been on the busy side too. Shouldn't be
on here now! I'm taking a break from getting things ready for tonight.
We are having our Christmas play at church tonight. I'm pulling double
duty and then some. (I wrote the play, directing, had to take a part due
to it being a small community in number, and got a song or 2 to sing!)
Wanna come help? We have a '57 chevy in it! LOL!

Hope you are faring well! Have a Merry Christmas if I don't get back to
you before then!

~Rae
Old 16-12-2007, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

Grumble, I'm coming to visit. Another 10 inches of snow
this AM

how can you tell, it's blowing so much!
lee

Old 16-12-2007, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/16/07 4:01 PM, in article
, "enigma"
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

Grumble, I'm coming to visit. Another 10 inches of snow
this AM

how can you tell, it's blowing so much!
lee

Because I had to move some of it....

Old 17-12-2007, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 14, 3:20 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Mine is mostly covered with the 5-6 inches of snow that fell yesterday. In
a few hours, while I'm waiting at the bus stop, I'll take some shots of the
stuff poking above the snow.

Cheryl

Looking at my front garden I see
Loropetalum, all 8 feet, covered with magenta pink fringe flowers
Western Redbud, leafless, but colored with russett-purple seed pods,
two titmice are dining on them
Viburnum tinus is shiny with metallic tiny blue black berries and
beginning to burst its buds into pink white flowers.
Camellia Kanjiro whose single rose pink blooms will feed Mrs Anna
HB and Ruby crowned Kinglet until late February,

Also still with blooms, Noisette Rose, an old girl, with unknown name.
Hellebore is putting up his big ol buds,
Erica Furzey rings her tiny pink bells, while
Abutilon has a few large pink bells for the Hummers, too.

Holly Fern is loving the cool weather with dark fronds that
Contrast with lime Heuchera, daring to put up a stem of buds!

Juniper, Ceanothus, adn Muhlenbergia grasses provide a green texture.
And in the bird bath, White Crowned Sparrow takes a dip.

Emilie
NorCal
Old 17-12-2007, 07:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

"CK"
dvbvjhbfxduyhfutyopeihwygiwapoe,klyhilunwqubqerre qvwje,ion@kjrdnguyrhbgnio;rm
gbuuybhrgyesfunmeuignuidr.org

**** off.

Does your mummy know you post rude words to stangers on the internet? You
should be careful 'cause you might get your widdle botty paddled if you aren't
careful.

David

Old 17-12-2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 17, 3:29 am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 12/16/07 8:47 PM, in article
,

"mleblanca" wrote:
[...]

I'm headed your way!

OK just bring the Dandelion book and a quilt.
We have a travel trailer you can use for the winter!
Em

Old 17-12-2007, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

12 inches of snow

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 18-12-2007, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:

Does your mummy know you post rude words to stangers on the internet? You
should be careful 'cause you might get your widdle botty paddled if you aren't
careful.

David

ROFLOL! I won't too worried about that language...I've got it before on
here you know. But your response to that was pretty funny to me!
Old 18-12-2007, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/17/07 12:52 PM, in article
,

"mleblanca" wrote:
[...]

The book is back in the library. But I can bring lots of yarn to make a
blanket or floss to embellish a quilt! (I've been looking at crazy quilts, I
think one is in my future)

Old 23-12-2007, 11:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/22/07 10:50 PM, in article ,
"Jangchub" wrote:

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 06:20:49 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Mine is mostly covered with the 5-6 inches of snow that fell yesterday. In
a few hours, while I'm waiting at the bus stop, I'll take some shots of the
stuff poking above the snow.

Cheryl

Sorry to reply so late, I was away on retreat. That said, my garden
looks like it will be a lot more empty next spring. At least one can
hope. I never, not one time watered the garden this entire year. If
it lives, it stays. If it doesn't, so long.

I did the same.

Right now in Austin we still have temps near 70 during the day and
assorted from 40 to 60 at night. We must have had a light frost
because my tomatoes are fried. The greenhouse is up with the brugs
and citrus.

I'm headed there - I'm now under 2+feet of snow.

Next spring I really want to be sparse and more plannned. I want to
actually see mulch between plants. My garden will be made up of low
growing natives, yuccas, succulents, and rocks! The front gardens are
so overgrown right now I have no idea what survived under the weeds. I
can see cacti and yucca poking through, but not much else. It's all
under the weed debris. My neighbors love me, I'm sure. It is really
not fair to them.

I hear you.

End of January I have full knee replacement surgery so I can once
again wheel myself out and garden. My husband always tells me I am a
great planner and planter, but a horrible maintainer of gardens. So,
for me, less is more.

One or both knees. I think the time to do my left knee is rapidly
approaching.

Old 23-12-2007, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 06:33:33 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

(...)

One or both knees. I think the time to do my left knee is rapidly
approaching.

Well, hopefully the left knee is reacting to the overcompensation of
the right leg. For now, I will just get the right knee done and see
if the left leg calms down.

Did you do your right knee? If so, what was the "complete" recover
period? I know I'm in for some major pain for several months of
therapy.

I guess you folks know that the knee design replacement for women
differs from men. This was new to us as my wife needs one due to a
broken knee 40 years ago.

Bill whose garden is 60 F with a high dew point 58. Things are
dripping .

Weird

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
"Energy is the only life and is from the Body and Reason is the bound