Old 02-02-2008, 04:59 AM
Registered User

Default herbs plant

Hi,
I want to grow herbs plant in my garden but would like some info on which herbs
should I grow?
Old 02-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Registered User

You Can Grow the Herb Rosemary because Rosemary is one of those wonderful herbs that makes a beautiful ornamental plant as well as a welcome culinary seasoning. Its Latin name, Rosmarinus officinalis, means "dew of the sea" and rosemary is most closely associated with the cooking of the Mediterranean area. However you don't need perfect sunshine, sea mist or even a never ending summer to successfully grow rosemary. In fact, more rosemary plants suffer from too much attention than from too little.
__________________
www.mamaherb.com
Old 02-02-2008, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,

On 2008-02-01 23:59:58 -0500, dael22 said:

Hi,
I want to grow herbs plant in my garden but would like some info on
which herbs
should I grow?

Google is your friend.

Look at http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/

No need to purchase . Their catalogue is PDF for 2008. Lots of info.

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather
Old 02-02-2008, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 04:59:58 +0000, dael22
wrote:

Hi,
I want to grow herbs plant in my garden but would like some info on
which herbs
should I grow?

Most herbs will grow well in adverse conditions and some seem to
thrive on neglect. I grow rue, thyme, rosemary, lavender, mint,
parsley, garlic, chives, oregano and sage. The parsley survives one
winter. The garlic, chives and parsley appreciate small amounts of
organic (fish emulsion, rotted cow manure, leaf mold, etc)
fertilizers. The oregano and mint are somewhat invasive. Borage and
basil grow one summer. Growing herbs in pots is another option. Full
sun gives you the most options. Too much water, poor drainage,
excessive fertilizer can be bad.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2/1/2008 8:59 PM, dael22 wrote:
Hi,
I want to grow herbs plant in my garden but would like some info on
which herbs
should I grow?

Where are you? What is your climate.

I saw rosemary recommended in another response. In front of my house,
my rosemary bush is taller than I am. In the Royal Botanical Garden
(Hamilton, Ontario, Canada), it must be grown under glass.

I grow peppermint, but I must water it regularly. In some areas that
get summer rain, it's a weed that needs no care.

As with real estate, location is everything when gardening.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 02-02-2008, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
dael22 wrote:

Hi,
I want to grow herbs plant in my garden but would like some info on
which herbs
should I grow?

Well, let's start with what herbs do you use? A look in the cupboard
would be an indicator. Mediterranean herbs seem to like fairly poor, dry
soils with full sun. I think these would do well in pots. Basil, in my
experience, does best in pots. I like to grow parsley because I use it
in small amounts and never use up a bunch that I purchase at the store.
So, determine the herbs that you now use. Google or ask a gardening
expert (academic or, local nursery) if they will grow in your area and
when to plant them. Each plant has its' own little universe of needs.
The better you meet their needs, the better they will grow for you.
Learn about them. Google "gardening, growing [herb's name]".

Bon appétit
--

Billy

Bush, Cheney & Pelosi, Behind Bars