Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-02-2008, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Recommendations on online merchant for blueberry bushes and grapevines?

Sheldon wrote:
Scott Hildenbrand wrote:
Sounds like you got a heck of a deal.. I checked several locals
and they don't have anything worth while.

I don't think you should give up. Expand your search, try calling
nurseries in and around the next large city.

I agonized all winter over where to buy my blueberry plants, checking
every web site that looked promising. I finally settled on one but
when they said they were going to bill my credit card and not ship
until they were paid I canceled my order. That's when I decided to
check local nurserys and found just what I was looking for right
nearby, I shopped there many times but it never occured to me that
they'd have blueberry plants, probably because they were located a
long way from their main entrance and I just never noticed them.

Here they are the day I planted them, spring 2006:
http://i25.tinypic.com/2a0dp1h.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/30vi3wo.jpg

http://i29.tinypic.com/ziocyc.jpg

Spring 2007:
http://i31.tinypic.com/r76c6d.jpg

http://i27.tinypic.com/2gtoj09.jpg

I got more berries than I expected last year and I was surprised at
how huge they were, most were the size of a nickle, and fresh picked
they tasted wonderful, nothing like those from the stupidmarket. I'm
anticipating a bumper crop this year. I'm glad I didn't settle on
those teensy blueberry plants, they don't seem to grow very rapidly so
I would probably have had to wait a few years for my first berries.
Don't give up.

Wow... Nice crop off a little plant..

I'd actually ordered them already from an online source. I'm only doing
5 bushes so not going to hurt if it doesn't work out the way I planned.

Now, for the back yard run, I'm planning on an Elderberry hedge 70' or
so in length for privacy, fun and fruit. I'll see if I can get those
local considering how many it will take and will expand to a 40 mile
radius for finding a nursery.

While we're on Blueberries.. Did you acidify your soil? I'm estimating
mine to be 7 (will test soon) so most likely going to add sulfur to
knock it down.