Old 02-04-2008, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Customer is always wrong, I guess

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours trying to find a place selling a
specific variety of sweet pepper for our garden this year. (Gypsy, an AAS
winner, for those who care) I called around to a number of the stores in
town that carry seeds, and none had this very sweet, prolific variety.

Afterwards, I did a search, and I finally went with Seedmart, an Ebay
store that is also known as Hirt's Gardens. They had quite reasonable
shipping and cost for a single pack. Although I didn't find anything in our
city, at least it was in Ohio, and I figured that way I wouldn't have to
wait long for the seeds to arrive. (which made it worth paying the sales
tax)

Anyway, the Ebay store checkout showed I was getting 30 seeds - a bit more
than the industry standard 25. AFTER I had agreed to buy, it then showed
that I was only getting 15 seeds - half what I had ordered.

When I made my payment, in the text box I made sure they understood that I
had ordered 30 seeds, not 15. I also stated that I would leave negative
feedback on Dave'sgarden website IF I was shorted.

Later yesterday, I got a message saying that my order had been shipped, so
now I was in waiting mode - I had mentally taken ownership of the
merchandise, and was just waiting for the seeds to show up in my mailbox.

This morning, I checked my email and found a message from another email
address (but still from this company) saying that perhaps I would be happier
taking my business elsewhere, and that they had refunded my money. That was
all that was said - nothing about the discrepancy I had pointed out, and
nothing to address the fact that I'd already been told my order had shipped.
I checked out the Ebay store, and noted that the number of seeds now says
15, not 30.

Evidently what I'm gathering is that either:

A) they were involved in a bait and switch tactic, giving people half the
seed they ordered

or (and I find this one more likely)

B) They didn't realize that the system was halving the orders people placed,
and
corrected it when I notified them.

Even if it is the latter, I'm rather disgusted that they didn't even
acknowledge this or thank me for telling them about an issue that would have
caused them to have a lot of upset customers. Imagine buying a gallon of
gas and only getting two quarts instead. If a person had a certain size
area to plant with peppers, and only got half enough, this would be
upsetting.

I'm on dialup Internet. It took me a good couple of hours to shop around
and finally pick this company, then another half hour to get through the
Ebay and Paypal checkout screens. After going through all of this, and
being told that my order had shipped, of COURSE I'm rather miffed that
someone would write to say "perhaps you would feel more comfortable doing
your business elsewhere".

I mean, it's ok for a company to tell you something like this BEFORE you
pay, or even BEFORE you are told that something has shipped. (as long as
they're not being racist, etc.) However, they told me this after the fact -
even after they told me they had shipped my seeds. What's up with that?

I went ahead and resent my payment, and informed them that they were
mistaken if they thought I somehow enjoyed wasting my time going shopping
for the same item twice. I also explained that since they told me the item
had shipped already, they were obligated to follow through and fulfill the
order. I further explained that if customer service and satisfaction had no
importance to them, I would then leave negative feedback on the Davesgarden
website, the Ebay website, and file a complaint with the Better Business
Bureau. I prefer not to do these things, but when a company treats people
without consideration and jerks you around, then I feel it is important to
share my experiences with others.

Here is how they responded:

Add Mobile Alert
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:17:20 EDT
Subject: Item Shipped -- eBay Stores #36763957024 -- Sweet Gypsy Hybrid
Pepper 30 ...

The purchase was refunded and it has not shipped. Since you threatened us
with the anti-semetic Dave's Garden we feel you would be happier purchasing
your Gypsy Peppers elsewhere.

What the heck? Anti-semitic? Threatened? I don't know where they are
coming from with that anti semitic thing - the davesgardens website is just
a place where people rate garden websites. And as for threatened, I just
told them that the system was only giving me half of what I ordered, and
that I expected the full amount. I did say that I left feedback online
whenever I felt that I was shorted by a company. I feel that it's important
for other folks to know how companies treat their customers.

So I guess this is what has happened to customer service in this day and
age - it's dead. The customer is always wrong, I guess. In this case, by
refusing to do business with me after the fact, I guess they want to claim I
was never a customer in the first place, and for this issue to go away. In
fact, what they did was give me the poorest customer service I've ever
received, and ensured that I will be posting negative reviews of their
business. How in the world is bad word of mouth advertising good for any
company?

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:17:20 EDT
[...]

It sounds like Bonehead vs Bonehead to me. Your first contact with a
company is to threaten to leave bad comments about them if you're
displeased in any way. I would NOT deal with such a person if I could
escape it, it ain't worth the tiny profit to dick around with someone who
pretty much states upfront he's a troublemaker waiting to pounce on any
error real or perceived.

But as the guy charges you with being antisemitic rather than just a
bonehead, seems he's a bonehead too. Of course if you DID note "in the
text box" that they'd better not be trying to jew you down, then there was
only one bonehead after all.

I certainly wouldn't be warned off the company by your testimony. The fact
that you're here with a public campaign just because you were spurned
shows they were right to be leery of dealing with someone who opens his
first transaction with threats. But they were wrong to up the ante of
hate-fueled messaging, as it was predictable someone who starts an
exchange with a threat will follow through with his bad behavior if spat
on. When someone pretty much reveals he's a coiled adder waiting to erupt,
I'll grant you that the professional response would not have been to poke
him with a stick, but rather to slip away quietly.

Everyone tends to clean up their side of the story to favor themselves,
which does mean you were probably an even bigger bonehead than the big
bonehead you portray yourself as having been. In the future don't be so
hasty to condemn & you may get adequate to good service instead of a
richly deserved boot out the door. I hate to think how many meals you've
gotten back with big gobs of phlegm added after you sent something back to
the kitchen telling a waitress or cook how much you disliked the swill and
the service & they better stand to attention quick if they expected ever
to see that ten percent tip.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com.html

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:17:20 EDT
[...]

Boy, pag-girl, you sure got your ol' BP goin' ballistic this mornin'.
Glad I'm not in arm's reach;-)

We all get chances to be diplomatic and inevitably, 30 min. later we
think of the perfect thing that we should have said. Poor service, bait
and switch, blatant deception all seem to be part of modern
commercialism. Which incident is it, that's goin' to break the camel's
back? We don't have to take OhioGuy's Rashôman moment as verité, but he
is a regular poster here and I can't remember him saying anything
flagrant in the past. So I think it is worth noting his caution for
future reference.

Well the future is here.
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/...d=554&offset=0

Feedback History and Summary for Seedmart, an Ebay
store a.k.a. Hirt's Gardens
62 positives
15 neutrals
44 negatives

Many of the negatives (36%) are enraged and incensed. I've been
purchasing on line for two years and had any problems, except for self
inflicted wounds or wasting time with paypal. So, that 36% looms out at
me and I would look elsewhere for a purchase.

You go OhioGuy. Kick 'em in the . . . uh . . place where the sun don't
shine. We've take it long enough, if they can't deal with an irate
customer (which one can become, when one feels poorly treated), they
deserve to go under. Check out the PepperMan, page 3, second rating.

Was your inference about anti-semitism conjecture, or do you know
something that I don't about OhioGuy? That's a lot of manure to dump on
a guy's doorstep. We call it defecation of character;-)

Anyway, I hope your morning settles down and you have a good day:-)
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/
Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Just cleaning up a couple of typos to make it more understandable.
---------

We all get chances to be diplomatic and inevitably, 30 min. later we
think of the perfect thing that we should have said. Poor service, bait
and switch, blatant deception all seem to be part of modern
commercialism. Which incident is it, that's goin' to break the camel's
back? We don't have to take OhioGuy's Rashôman moment as verité, but he
is a regular poster here and I can't remember him saying anything
flagrant in the past. So I think it is worth noting his caution for
future reference.

Well the future is here.
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/...d=554&offset=0

Feedback History and Summary for Seedmart, an Ebay
store a.k.a. Hirt's Gardens
62 positives
15 neutrals
44 negatives

Many of the negatives (36%) are enraged and incensed. I've been
purchasing on line for two years and haven't had any problems, except
for self inflicted wounds or wasting time with paypal. So, that 36%
looms out at me and I would look elsewhere for a purchase.

You go, OhioGuy. Kick 'em in the . . . uh . . place where the sun don't
shine. We've taken it long enough, if they can't deal with an irate

Old 02-04-2008, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

I hate to think how many meals you've gotten back with big gobs of phlegm

Hmm. The answer is 1, back in 1997. It was the meatloaf, I recall, and I
thought that a huge bone chip I chomped down on had broken one of my teeth.
Turns out I had just busted the bone chip in half, but I was really scared
at the time that it was going to cost me a huge bundle for dental surgery or
something. I'm usually pretty easy to please on the food front.

My primary problem in this case was that the guy told me the seeds had
been shipped out. He said my order had been shipped. Then later he told me
it hadn't. In my book, that's called lying. You don't tell someone the
order has been shipped until it is out in the mailbox or picked up by
Fedex/UPS. You don't tell someone the order has been shipped if you're
THINKING about mailing it, or if your PLANNING to mail it tomorrow or the
next day. Of course I was rather miffed when I was told the seeds hadn't
been shipped, and wouldn't be.

It formed a pattern of behavior - say one thing, then do another. Tell a
person they're getting 30 seeds, then only show that they'll be getting 15
instead. Say one thing, do another.

Yes, I could definitely have been much more diplomatic about it. Yes, I'm
sorry that I went off the edge and got ****ed when it looked like I was
being ripped off yet again. However, it is imperative in these situations
that a proprietor be able to see things from the customer's point of view.

I had a legitimate concern which was not even acknowledged.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

That makes more sense than believing you've been abused after instigating
a relationship with step one, threaten. 44 negative to 62 positive ratings
suggests a significant problem with the company. Still wouldn't justify
trying to threaten good service -- smart guy would've paid at tention to
the rating.

-paghat the ratgirl
Old 02-04-2008, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

I've had nothing but bad luck with Hirts. I wouldn't call them
actually evil; rather, I suspect they're just grown too big to pay
proper attention to what they're doing. (Look at how many eBay sales
they have!) However, I have no idea what the hell they're talking
about when they call Daves Garden Watchdog anti-Semitic. Maybe
someone at Hirts really does have a screw loose.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(paghat) wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

And we always do the smart thing, right?;-)

Old 03-04-2008, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
(paghat) wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

I probably should've mentioned that being a bonehead is sometimes fun and
I've certainly been one from time to time, but I just didn't want to say
it just then.

-paggers
Old 03-04-2008, 03:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(paghat) wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
(paghat) wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

We all need refresher courses in humility from time to time:-)

Old 03-04-2008, 06:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:21:13 -0700, Billy wrote:

We all need refresher courses in humility from time to time:-)

Thats OK, lets see how you do it!
Put up your dukes, lets get down to it!
Hit me with your best shot!
Why don't you hit me with your best shot!
Hit me with your best shot!
Fire away!
~~Pat Benatar

Funny how things just appear in my.... ;-)

Charlie

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse. ~From the movie The
African Queen

Old 03-04-2008, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message news:wildbilly-

Well the future is here.
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/...d=554&offset=0

Feedback History and Summary for Seedmart, an Ebay
store a.k.a. Hirt's Gardens
62 positives
15 neutrals
44 negatives

Many of the negatives (36%) are enraged and incensed.

That site makes for some interesting reading.

To put the very best complexion on it, the firm seems to be suffering from
multiple personality disorder.

It was interesting that positive comments always seem to appear directly
after a negative one had been posted. Someone complains about shipping
delays, below is one (or more) about how good the shipping was. One
complains about the dirt from the pots being spread throughout the box, just
below will be one saying how there was tape over the top of the pot to stop
dirt from spilling. One complains about getting freeze damaged Musas and
just below is a post saying how great their Musas were. And many repetitive
comments about how big the plants were, what good value and how well packed,
responsive shipping, quality plants, yada, yada, yada. Many of the
positives are stylistically similar and that made me somewhat suspicious.

And on page 3 of the comments they are recorded as telling someone to 'get a
life' and then threatening them with legal action when the person advised
them that plant a grass sent to them was not a bamboo as advertised.

I wouldn't trust the company after reading those posts.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Registered User

Smile

FarmI;782146 "Billy" wrote in message news:wildbilly-

[...]

it doesnt sounds like u are going to have any luck with that company
but i thought that maybe one of these links might help u find your
pepper seeds . good luck. cyaaaaaaaaa, sockiescat.

http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.co...etpeppers.html
http://http://seattlepi.nwsource.com...6_smith06.html
www.tomatogrowers.com/sweet2.htm
http://www.rachelssupply.com/pepper.htm
http://www.tmseeds.com/product/682.html
http://www.tmseeds.com/product/682.html
Old 03-04-2008, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

[...]

The thing that got me was these comments go back to 2001. In 2002, 45%
of the comments were negative. In 2003, 37% of the comments were
negative. They must be improving because their overall negative rating
is down to 36%. They must be doing something wrong to tick off that many
people from just one web site. Since it has been going on for so long,
it is obvious that the ownership doesn't care or is the cause of the
problem. There are too many nurseries to play Russian roulette with one
with such high disapproval ratings.