Old 21-04-2008, 08:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Large-plant seeds? ? ?

Recently I ordered from India some seeds for a large blooming shrub called
osmanthus fragrens, or sweet olive, or tea olive.

These seeds are black, in a husk, about the size of grapefruit seeds.

They arrived with no planting instructions. I welcome any guidance on how to
plant and water these seeds.

Also, how long does it take for germination?

Old 22-04-2008, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks -- that's helpful.

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 19:23:24 GMT, "Ray"
wrote:

Recently I ordered from India some seeds for a large blooming shrub called
osmanthus fragrens, or sweet olive, or tea olive.

These seeds are black, in a husk, about the size of grapefruit seeds.

They arrived with no planting instructions. I welcome any guidance on how
plant and water these seeds.

Also, how long does it take for germination?

A simple search on propagation of Osmanthus seeds showed this and
dozens of others:

Seed - best sown as soon as it is ripe in a coldframe[200]. Stored
seed probably germinates best if it is given 3 months warm then 3
months cold stratification before sowing[113]. The seed usually takes
6 - 18 months to germinate, it should be pricked out into individual
pots when it is large enough to handle. Grow the plants on for their
first winter in the greenhouse and plant them out in early summer.

Old 22-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray[_3_] View Post
Recently I ordered from India some seeds for a large blooming shrub called
osmanthus fragrens, or sweet olive, or tea olive.

These seeds are black, in a husk, about the size of grapefruit seeds.

They arrived with no planting instructions. I welcome any guidance on how to
plant and water these seeds.

Also, how long does it take for germination?
I believe best off in a propogator at 25-30C with a good well draining gritty compost (john innes maybe), keeping moist, but not wet, and lid on for a humid environment until all seeds have germinated (2-4 weeks), then open the vent, or slightly open lid a bit more each day, until removed completely, keep warm in conservatory or greenhouse until large enough to cope on its own in its final placing.

Old 23-04-2008, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Composting urine

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:05:22 +0100, jwturpin
wrote:

I know that using your "wee" on a compost heap is okay as it's high in
nitrogen, and that you can compost almost anything that once lived,
however, my question is one that i'm sure hasn't been asked before...

I have recently started using a new cat litter for my 2 puss cats. It
is compressed pellets of sawdust, which are solid, but when wee'd on,
they expand and turn back into sawdust. It great, as wood has a natural
ability to absorb odour and the ammonia which traditionally makes cat
wee smell. Obviously, they poo in there aswell, but all traces of
solid matter are removed and disposed of.

My question quite simply, is just before the wood pellets/sawdust
reaches saturation point and is not a pile of sawdusty slop is when I
would normally empty the wee'd on sawdust into a plastic bag and bin
it. Can I put this on my compost heap to help it along instead?? It
seems an awful waste of what seems to me to a perfectly good
compostable material!!

Any help most gratefully received!

The general guidelines of home composting advise not to use carnivore
waste due to harmful pathogens. Ask your vet.

Old 23-04-2008, 06:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Instead of getting all ****y about this, try some yarrow leaves on your
compost.
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....ea+millefolium
See "Other Uses".
--

Billy

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0s...eature=related
Old 23-04-2008, 08:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

"jwturpin" wrote in message

[...]

Don't put it into compost that may be used in a vegetable garden, but if you
only use compost on shrubs, add it and always wear gardening gloves and be
fastidious about hand washing.

Old 23-04-2008, 10:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

"jwturpin" wrote in message

[...]

it will also do as a mulch on gardens that do not grow vegetables, around
trees, under hedges etc. Many places in the garden it can be beneficial.

rob

Old 23-04-2008, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in

..au:

"jwturpin" wrote in
message

[...]

is this also true if the solids are removed? it appears that
all the OP wants to know about is using the pee soaked sawdust
in his compost.
AFAIK, it's only the fecal material that carries pathogens
that may be transferred to humans... that said, i'd just make
a separate pile for ornamentals & use it in that pile
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Old 25-04-2008, 09:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Wow, this is a terrific website, Billy -- Thanks!

Another great plant for the compost pile is stinging nettle. IIRC, they
call it a bio-dynamic plant.

Jan

Old 25-04-2008, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....ea+millefolium
See "Other Uses".

Wow, this is a terrific website, Billy -- Thanks!

Another great plant for the compost pile is stinging nettle. IIRC, they
call it a bio-dynamic plant.

Jan

Another site I like (similar but different) is
http://www.holistic-online.com/Herba...tory_Index.htm

Old 26-04-2008, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 23, 9:26 am, enigma wrote:
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote
.au:

"jwturpin" wrote in
message

[...]

What meds are you on? Some will make it through
your kidneys unchanged or as metabolites.
Old 26-04-2008, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Father Haskell wrote in

oups.com:

On Apr 23, 9:26 am, enigma wrote:
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote

t.net .au:

"jwturpin" wrote in
message

[...]

i'm not on any meds. i probably will be shortly, as i seem to
have cancer, but that has nothing to do with the original post
which was asking about CAT LITTER.
so, i'll modify that to *if the cats are not on medication*,
composting the wet litter should be fine. happy now?

lee wondering now if plants pick up medications or
metabolites from the water you use
Old 26-04-2008, 07:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
enigma wrote:

i'm not on any meds. i probably will be shortly, as i seem to
have cancer, but that has nothing to do with the original post
which was asking about CAT LITTER.

So, all you can do is go with the flow, relax. My "very significant
other" has gone through this twice with two very different cancers. You
may be dead or you may be in for some very unpleasant x-ray therapy.
Hopefully it was found before it became very large. Get well. We love
you:-)

Old 26-04-2008, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in
:

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 02:42:40 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

i'm not on any meds. i probably will be shortly, as i seem
have cancer, but that has nothing to do with the original
post which was asking about CAT LITTER.

Damn it. Sorry to hear this. You're in my thoughts,
prayers, meditations, whatever it is called.

thanks Charlie. it's not a big deal thing. it's small &
hasn't affected the lymph nodes yet. caught it early. now if i
can get the Doctor that's supposed to do the biopsy
coordinated, i'll be happy. nice thing about no insurance is i
don't have to do things the way the insurance company says.
*i* get to say remove the whole thing, not accept a partial
biopsy.
i also have a slight hypothyroid.
lee