Old 20-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Registered User

Default Slugs-nothing works, please help!!!!

I have a massive slug problem in my garden of pots, (it is only a yard, no grass). I have brought a lot of my plants inside as the slugs won't leave them alone (I've given up trying things now, tried everything).*

I've tried every suggestion, egg shells, copper tape, *garlic, onion, bran flakes, salt, sand, gravel, fir tree needles, coffee grounds, beer traps, vaseline, sand, gravel, Westlands slug Blocker (http://www.gardenhealth.com/product/42/81).

None work and my plants are just dying! I recently bought a delphinium and I have had to bring that in after the rain yesterday as it had just started growing back again after the last attack....

I'm guessing there's only slug pellets left to try now, of course I will get the pellets that don't hurt cats etc as my cat died that way and they also effect the fertility of songbirds.

Is there anything that ACTUALLY works? I'm desperate!!!!!
Old 20-06-2008, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ed Ed is offline

On 20/06/08 14:11, hakakahn wrote:
I have a massive slug problem in my garden of pots, (it is only a yard,
no grass). I have brought a lot of my plants inside as the slugs won't
leave them alone (I've given up trying things now, tried everything).*

Is there anything that ACTUALLY works? I'm desperate!!!!!

The most effective way is biological control using nematode parasites
which destroy the slugs below ground. It's a bit pricey but you can
balance that against you're current loses and decide.

Just do a google search for ' nematode slug killer'. You will come up
with lots of hits.

Ed
Old 20-06-2008, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

(http://tinyurl.com/2bh2f2.

--
hakakahn

Hand pick in the evening, set shade boards to trap them, raise toad
tadpoles up to become slug eating toads, get chickens.
Hand picking reduces them quickly.
Old 21-06-2008, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 20 Jun, 06:11, hakakahn
wrote:
[...]

Put a bowl of beer next to the plant, the slugs are attracted to it,
they will fall in and drown.
Old 22-06-2008, 04:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

I have found the iron phosphate slug pellets work great. Iron phosphate
occurs naturally in soil and is basically a plant nutrient, so these are
considered non-toxic and can be used in vegetable gardens, around pets, etc.

My family tried the beer trick when I was growing up -- IMO it's a complete
myth. We might have drowned a grand total of one slug that way, out of the
about five billion of them swarming over our garden.

Utopia in Decay
http://home.comcast.net/~kevin.cherkauer/site/

Kevin Cherkauer

Old 22-06-2008, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

I believe the product SLUGGO (1% iron phosphate) is available in the UK, if
that's where you live. It's very effective and won't hurt animals. I got
some a week ago because slugs devastate our strawberries. I saw results by
the next day, and now we enjoy the fruits of our labor (pun intended). It's
a lot less expensive than nematodes, and can be stored indefinitely until
used.
Old 22-06-2008, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Kevin Cherkauer wrote:
I have found the iron phosphate slug pellets work great. Iron phosphate
occurs naturally in soil and is basically a plant nutrient, so these are
considered non-toxic and can be used in vegetable gardens, around pets, etc.

My family tried the beer trick when I was growing up -- IMO it's a complete
myth. We might have drowned a grand total of one slug that way, out of the
about five billion of them swarming over our garden.

Utopia in Decay
http://home.comcast.net/~kevin.cherkauer/site/

Kevin Cherkauer

I have used the beer "trick" and have had great success with it. The
"trick" is to use stale beer, you have to let it "age" before the slugs
will be attracted to it. They other "trick" is to use shallow
containers, ones that the slugs don't have to do a lot of climbing to
get to. Also, placement is important. Place the containers in
"sheltered" areas. I found shady areas to be better than sunny areas.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 23-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
Kevin Cherkauer wrote:
I have found the iron phosphate slug pellets work great. Iron phosphate
occurs naturally in soil and is basically a plant nutrient, so these are
considered non-toxic and can be used in vegetable gardens, around pets, etc.

My family tried the beer trick when I was growing up -- IMO it's a complete
myth. We might have drowned a grand total of one slug that way, out of the
about five billion of them swarming over our garden.

I have used the beer "trick" and have had great success with it. The
"trick" is to use stale beer, you have to let it "age" before the slugs
will be attracted to it. They other "trick" is to use shallow
containers, ones that the slugs don't have to do a lot of climbing to
get to. Also, placement is important. Place the containers in
"sheltered" areas. I found shady areas to be better than sunny areas.

As I say beer doesn't work, never has s I'm not sure boards would.
I don't have room for toads etc...
So I guess I have to get pellets and kill them, which I hate doing.
Dopes anyone have any reccs for non-animal harming ones?

This Morning are covering slugs This Morning today and they suggest all the usual natural things that don't work. It made me email in to say 'they don't work'!!
Old 23-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Registered User

Has anyone tried 'Slug Buggers'....?
http://shop.wwf.org.uk/wwf_gardening...slug_repellent
Old 23-06-2008, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
hakakahn wrote:

-

I have used the beer "trick" and have had great success with it. The
"trick" is to use stale beer, you have to let it "age" before the slugs

will be attracted to it. They other "trick" is to use shallow
containers, ones that the slugs don't have to do a lot of climbing to
get to. Also, placement is important. Place the containers in
"sheltered" areas. I found shady areas to be better than sunny areas.

As I say beer doesn't work, never has s I'm not sure boards would.
I don't have room for toads etc...
So I guess I have to get pellets and kill them, which I hate doing.
Dopes anyone have any reccs for non-animal harming ones?

This Morning are covering slugs This Morning today and they suggest all
the usual natural things that don't work. It made me email in to say
'they don't work'!!

Iron phosphate slug pellets work great worth repeating. If you are
inclined to go out and spray your slugs a saturated solution of aluminum
sulfate with kill them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_sulfate

http://en.mimi.hu/gardening/aluminum_sulfate.html

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/a2914.htm

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 23-06-2008, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

I have used beer very successfully every year. I scoop out a small
indentation in the ground and put in an empty, small-sized tuna fish
can filled with beer. I set these little beer traps in various areas
in my yard and they always have many slugs in them in the morning.
If you have patio pots, I would set some of the pots' saucers in a
larger shallow dish or pan (so as not to have the beer absorb up into
the plant soil) and fill that larger one with beer. They're sure to
fall into it on their way up the pot to the plant.

ctlady

On Jun 23, 12:21*pm, Bill wrote:
In article ,

*hakakahn wrote:
Bill R;799810 Wrote:
Kevin Cherkauer wrote:-
[...]

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA- Hide quoted text -

Old 24-06-2008, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,

www.recyclenow.org/less-toxic/SnailsSlugs.PDF
--