Old 20-06-2008, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help! Hemlock Wooley Adelgid

I was told that the telltale sign of the wooley adelgid were masses of
a "cottony" material in the branches. I have discovered some areas of
spittle. Is the spittle from a different bug or can that be the
wooley adelgid?

CW from Harwinton, CT
Old 20-06-2008, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

"ctlady" wrote in message
I was told that the telltale sign of the wooley adelgid were masses of
a "cottony" material in the branches. I have discovered some areas of
spittle. Is the spittle from a different bug or can that be the
wooley adelgid?

CW from Harwinton, CT

There is a spittle bug, and it does look like spittle, not harmful.

Old 23-06-2008, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 11:27:47 -0700 (PDT), ctlady
wrote:

I was told that the telltale sign of the wooley adelgid were masses of
a "cottony" material in the branches. I have discovered some areas of
spittle. Is the spittle from a different bug or can that be the
wooley adelgid?

CW from Harwinton, CT

Since hemlocks are notorious for wooly adelgid,

No, notorious for decline and death when area in which they live is
disturbed. E.g., The tree is shallow rooted, making it prone to injury from
drought, sudden exposure after stand opening, and windthrow (481, 713).
Exposed to salt spray in a New England hurricane, it was one of the species
most severely damaged at two localities (1005, 1632).
Hemlocks of sawlog size are notoriously subject to wind-shake (481), to
radial stress cracks, and, following sudden exposure, to sunscald of the
bark, and to death. These reactions may be the result of many adverse
effects associated with a changed regime of solar heat and soil moisture and
culminate in a decline often referred to as post-logging decadence. When
hemlocks are left as residual trees following partial cutting, and when they
are exposed, through road or other construction or clearing, they often die,
even when their root area is covered with understory brush (661). Eastern
hemlock is also considered to be one of the species most sensitive to sulfur
fumes from smelters (1933). An interesting type of hemlock ring-shake
follows sapsucker injury (1292).

Reference: Hepting, George, H. July 1971 Disease of Forest and
Shade Trees of The United States US. Dept. Agric. Forest Service Handbook
Number 386 658 pages.

So as you can see, humans can have a great negative impact on the health of
a hemlock tree. Mucl more to the picture than WA.

--
Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.

I would say that was
it. You may also have spittle bugs, but not likely. I really hate to
teach people how to kill anything, but something which works using a
very good pump up sprayer which can reach the whole hemlock with
insecticidal soap, bought at the garden center, not detergent, is very
effective. You will have to use several applications about 5 days
apart for about three applications.

Old 23-06-2008, 07:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 21:18:56 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Like I said, Hemlocks are prone to wooly adelgid infestation.
Infestation generally always follows stree and unhealthy trees. The
OP didn't ask for a course in Hemlocks. The question which was
answered was answered out of my own mind, not out of a book I worship.

You worship a book? Out of your mind??!
Please, leave some mystery.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 23-06-2008, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Like I said, Hemlocks are prone to wooly adelgid infestation.
Infestation generally always follows stree and unhealthy trees. The
OP didn't ask for a course in Hemlocks. The question which was
answered was answered out of my own mind, not out of a book I worship.

No a worshipped book but a published peer reviewed and published data. Show
me your data not your thoughts.

Old 24-06-2008, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message

No a worshipped book but a published peer reviewed and published data.
Show
me your data not your thoughts.

You can easily find my "data" on any reputable website. I personally
get my information from Dr. Dirr's works. They are not my thoughts.
It is a fact that Hemlocks are prone to wooly adelgid infestation and
almost certainly if they are in stress or have health issues. Please,
go somewhere else. I am not going to argue this with ad nauseum.

Where are Dirrs pictures of his dissections of the species? Sure he offers
a great deal of knolwedge though limited. That only goes so far without
dissections. You will never understand trees without dissecting them. Just
ask someone that dissects trees!

Old 24-06-2008, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

"Jangchub" wrote in message

No a worshipped book but a published peer reviewed and published data.
Show
me your data not your thoughts.

You can easily find my "data" on any reputable website. I personally
get my information from Dr. Dirr's works. They are not my thoughts.
It is a fact that Hemlocks are prone to wooly adelgid infestation and
almost certainly if they are in stress or have health issues. Please,
go somewhere else. I am not going to argue this with ad nauseum.

Where are Dirrs pictures of his dissections of the species? Sure he
offers a great deal of knolwedge though limited. That only goes so far
without dissections. You will never understand trees without dissecting
them. Just ask someone that dissects trees!

Being a yard man and cutting limbs is not dissection. But, tell me, tree
expert, how a dissection would make any difference in identifying a sucking
insect, or how to treat it?

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting yard man
http://hodme.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.trdeedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

Old 24-06-2008, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

On Jun 24, 11:00*am, Jangchub wrote:

bjipdapaurieowanqhgdks;a *jfia mfkdiepjqan jjidpoisajspioenwqn
dkpopjieoijnanfdl;

ajidpoiuwoieuaionhidpsia fdioos souidioja fjiepwoien dkssiskkkf
dkkapijiewipjllsldi *fiid[aiiewommeoaijj dllellldo djjwoahoiofooe.- Hide quoted text -

sure, that's easy enough for you to say.
Old 24-06-2008, 05:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 10:13:53 -0400, "symplastless"
wrote:

"Jangchub" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Wasn't that

To do is to be
- Descartes

To be is to do
-Voltaire

Do be do be do
-Frank Sinatra

?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 24-06-2008, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 20, 2:27*pm, ctlady wrote:
I was told that the telltale sign of the wooley adelgid were masses of
a "cottony" material in the branches. *I have discovered some areas of
spittle. *Is the spittle from a different bug or can that be the
wooley adelgid?

CW from Harwinton, CT

Spittle is different from the cottony stuff the wooly adelgid makes,
poke your finger into the spittle and look for a little green insect
about as big this (ooo).It can transmit disease but is no real worry.
The spittle keeps the birds and spiders from finding it.

Old 25-06-2008, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Don Staples" wrote in message
omsupplyinc...
Being a yard man and cutting limbs is not dissection. But, tell me, tree
expert, how a dissection would make any difference in identifying a
sucking insect, or how to treat it?

Don Staples - Consulting Salvage Hog
http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/Services/salvage.htm

Fisrt you have to understand the organism you are trying to help.
Dissections have given great understanding of trees and their associates to
many people that have dissected them. You however claiming to be a
consulting forester which you refuse to define just what you mean on your
website (http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/forestry/staples.htm ) should be
well aware of the understanding they recieved by dissecting trees. I know
many foresters with a thorough understanding of tree biology. They are the
teachers, they are the researchers. You are a practicing forester and do
not communicate well with others with wisdom to offer. Ref:
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...102/index.html Written
by The Father of A NEW TREE BIOLOGY. That and others can be found on their
website a www.shigoandtrees.com What do you have to bring to the table,
Don Staples?

Old 25-06-2008, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

http://www.treedictionary.dcom/DICT2...102/index.html
Written by The Father of A NEW TREE BIOLOGY. That and others can be
found on their website a www.shigoadndtrees.com What do you have to
bring to the table, Don Staples?

I repeat the question, dead wood, what would dissection tell you about a
soft tissue insect, and the control of that insect? You are a one trick
pony, dead wood, pimping Shigo's material. Explain, since you think
definitions are so important, how you define yourself as a "tree expert"
without the first hour or formal education in forestry, in being an arborist
(did you ever retake the test you failed?), in biology, or in any formal
science course work. Cutting lawns and trimming trees is not formal
education, work experience perhaps, but apparently insufficient to pass the
arborist test.

These are really simple questions for a "tree expert". You are actually
casting a shadow of doubt on Shigo's work, if you are a product of it.

Old 26-06-2008, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:38:56 -0500, "Don Staples"
wrote:

Here in Austin ...................

Did you get any damage from that last hail storm that went through? I have
a client on Harris that lost a lot of glass.

[IMG] code is On

hemlock woolly adelgid - Pesticides and/or Asian Lady Beetles Ivanna Pee Gardening 1 27-06-2007 01:01 AM
Wooly Adelgid Sam Hurlbut Bonsai 0 07-05-2006 01:55 AM
Woolly Adelgid Problem Question ? Robert11 Gardening 9 03-09-2004 07:04 PM
Woolly Adelgid Problem Qu THURSTON ACKERMAN Gardening 0 31-08-2004 11:26 PM
Woolly Adelgid Problem Quest. ? (live outside of Boston) Robert11 Gardening 4 20-06-2004 11:05 PM