Old 25-06-2008, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default On Weeding

Why are some plants labeled evil and other a gift from heaven? I have
found that if poison ivy is about so is jewel weed. Seems the cure is
readily available in the environment but we must have knowledge of it.
Our knowledge of nature seems to have been diminished a lot in the last
50 years. My grand mom took care of us with herbs until just about when
I was born 1948. I sort of believe the fractured nature of our system to
educate is responsible as small divisions are encouraged and wholeness
is not mentioned . I think of a Goethe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goethe

Anyway the rant also has a bright spot look at my signature url.

Bill who just got his heater working after screwing it up ( Hurt Switch)
when cleaning filter. Dumb....

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://dodd.senate.gov/index.php?q=node/4476

Old 25-06-2008, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:54:56 -0400, Bill wrote:

Anyway the rant also has a bright spot look at my signature url.

Can one good apple unspoil the whole barrel?

Astute observation about the cure being in proximity with the
"curse".....good food for thought and study. I don't care for the term
weed adn it connotations. Is dandelion a weed? Many think so.

Charlie, under the log again, seeking wholeness, grappling with
internal divisions......

I live 8 miles from the "Dandelion capitol of the world". Vineland,
New Jersey we eat them with gusto. Italian immigrates turned us on to
dandelion. Eat before flower or real bitter. Just like broccoli or
broccoli rabe .

Seems others do too.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...delion+recipes
&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Bill

Old 25-06-2008, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:54:56 -0400, Bill wrote:

Anyway the rant also has a bright spot look at my signature url.

Make that two good apples related to the same subject.

http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/06/25/9884/

OK. I contacted all my Congresswomen and asked my Senators to support
Feingold in his filibuster. It only takes a few minutes. You can cut and
paste the message to the first Senator into the message box of the
second. Let your representatives know what you think. It's the American
way.

Then you can get back to gardening . . . unless you are distracted by
the refusal of our government to label GMOs in our markets, or label
hormones in our food, or their refusal to allow farmers to do a more
thorough testing of their meat than is required, or to stop feeding the
residue of potentially sick animals to healthy herbivores. Maybe the
governments subsidizing of an unhealthy diet, or it's promotion of
unsustainable petrochemical fertilizers and pesticides that create a
paucity of nutrients in produce from our factory farms, and also kill
the soil, water ways, and large parts of the oceans, while adding to
erosion, lack of clean water, and dwindling bio-diversity of nature.
These same agro-petrochemical cast-offs from our war machine accumulate
in our bodies and roughly coincides with increased incidents of
coronary-vascular disease, diabetes, obesity and a weakened immune
system. What the mad scientists call the "green revolution" is really
creating GMOs (that don't produce more food and must be purchased at
great price) that allow the even greater usage of biocides in the food
chain.

So give a shout out to your Congresspeople, and let them know what you
think.

Dang, I forgot to write about defunding the WTO, IMF, and the World
Bank, nuts. I guess I have another letter in me;O)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 25-06-2008, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 11:48:41 -0700, Billy wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

[...]

Hell, as long as we, meaning all of us with any more sense than god
gave the goose, are all ****ed off, or should be, here is another
letterwriting campaign in which to join.

http://www.alternet.org/environment/...69234645e233cf

From that long article:

"Ironically, it's that great troublemaker Voltaire who has too often
been trotted out (and too often misquoted) as an advocate of
withdrawing from the tumult of society, into tending one's own
property. Voltaire was indeed a gardener, and he did end his most
famous novel by having Candide, after surviving so many far-flung
hazards, utter those famous words to his fellow wanderer Dr. Pangloss:
"We must cultivate our garden."

However, with the publication of Candide in 1759, Voltaire entered the
most politically active part of his life, as he "went on to a series of
confrontations with the consequences of human cruelty that, two
hundred-odd years later, remain stirring in their courage and
perseverance," in the words of Adam Gopnik.

If Voltaire could find the time for both gardening and radical
political action, then all of us can do it."

I've been reading too much Kunstler and Bageant and others, dead and
alive, as of late. Feh....what an effing mess. TIme to spit, hoist
the black flag and go to work.

On a positive note, the first 'mater is ready for harvest. Does it
count that is the size of a dime? :-)

Charlie, distracted and spread really thin....too many projects wanting
starts, too many more wanting finishes....

"The human brain is a complex organ with the wonderful power of
enabling man to find reasons for continuing to believe whatever it is
that he wants to believe." --Voltaire

Unfortunately, golbalization was reeling after the Seattle and
Washington D. C. demonstrations, then came 9/11, like manna from the
skies, with laws curbing civil liberties (the right to protest where you
can be seen and heard) and the privacy (wire tapping) to orchestrate a
raising of public consciousness to the social costs of corporate
fascism. Terrorism is being increasingly used as a label and a charge
against militant resisters of capitalist hegemony, who destroy property.
There are already laws against property destruction but terrorisms laws
are more draconian.

This isn't just our problem. People in the global south (70% subsistence
farmers) have been exploited unmercifully for decades.
----------

We wish to control big business so as to secure among other things good
wages for the wage-workers and reasonable prices for the consumers.
Wherever in any business the prosperity of the businessman is obtained
by lowering the wages of his workmen and charging an excessive price to
the consumers we wish to interfere and stop such practices. We will not
submit to that kind of prosperity any more than we will submit to
prosperity obtained by swindling investors or getting unfair advantages
over business rivals.

* Speech at Progressive Party Convention, Chicago (1912-06-17)
------

Labor is prior to, and independent of, capitol. Capital is only the
fruit of labor, and could never had existed if labor had not first
existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deseves the higher
consideration.

Abraham Lincoln
Dec. 1861

Keep gardening and grousing and bitching.
Old 26-06-2008, 01:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:33:16 -0400, Bill wrote:

I live 8 miles from the "Dandelion capitol of the world". Vineland,
New Jersey we eat them with gusto. Italian immigrates turned us on to
dandelion. Eat before flower or real bitter. Just like broccoli or
broccoli rabe .

Flowers are good also. Dip in tempura batter and fry, reminiscent of
mushrooms. Good in salads also.

We eat lots of dandylions.....makes us pee, eh?

Wee wee as the French say;o)
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars

Old 26-06-2008, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 14:37:54 -0700, Billy wrote:

Keep gardening and grousing and bitching.

David Suzuki's 12 yr old daughter.....16 years ago and the *******s
*still* aren't listening today.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WzgVMp7-Lo

Charlie

Humbling stuff.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 26-06-2008, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

[...]

From that long article:

[...]

Sounds like it's time to roll over and look at the stars, boy. Staying
in the meat grinder to long is bad for the little grey cells.

On a positive note, the first 'mater is ready for harvest. Does it
count that is the size of a dime? :-)

Makes me jealous, so it counts to me.
Seems I've had little green cherry tomatoes for a month now and they are
just as green as when I first started watching them. Even got me some of
those unnatural, industrially raped hybrids. Even selling out didn't
help (

Old 28-06-2008, 07:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Billy wrote:

Terrorism is being increasingly used as a label and a charge
against militant resisters of capitalist hegemony, who destroy property.
There are already laws against property destruction but terrorisms laws
are more draconian.

I am such a simple fool. The charge of terrorism is being applied to two
ladies who destroyed nothing but who protested the destruction of four
apartment complexes of low-income housing units. Residents say the brick
buildings are perfectly habitable, and accuse the city, the Housing
Authority of New Orleans (HANO), and Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
of a program of class warfare and racially motivated gentrification.

The four complexes, if demolished, would eliminate more than 4,500
apartment units in the hurricane-ravaged city so desperately in need of
affordable low-income housing.

Welcome to the new and improved America :-(

Unnecessary wars, domestic spying, the poor thrown into the streets,
price gouging on fuel and food. Good night America.

http://towardfreedom.com/home/content/view/1200/1/
Old 29-06-2008, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Billy wrote:

[...]

Sorry, this is the background of the charge.
http://towardfreedom.com/home/content/view/1200/1/

This is the charge.
http://www.fsrn.org/content/two-publ...arged-with-act
s-terrorism/2689

Garden-wise I seem to have run off, at least temporarily, the raccoon
that was ravaging my cabbage and lettuce patches. I think I grossed him
out by relieving my self where he was trying to eat. Then I think one of
my dogs damaged some of the potato plants when he relieved himself. He
likes to kick-up a little dust afterwards. The peas have gone toes up
but the green beans seem to have stabilized after the spat of hot
weather played havoc with their plastic mulch.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars
Old 29-06-2008, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Billy wrote:

[...]

What I find is that folks I come in contact with every day family
included know not much about the issues real issues you mention.
How to get info out in a world of Murdoch ? I fall back to living by
example small images but some times a glimmer of change.

No one in my extended family has a compost pile. I'd guess heirloom
concept or open pollinated is not known either. Got to carry on
anyway ! Perhaps a family gathering where dinner is done but some items
are missing that can be culled in our back yard.

Bill scheming.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 29-06-2008, 08:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Bill wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Billy wrote:

[...]

To be more up-beat, I should have said that all of the curcubitaceaes
seem to to be doing very well.

What I find is that folks I come in contact with every day family
included know not much about the issues real issues you mention.
How to get info out in a world of Murdoch ? I fall back to living by
example small images but some times a glimmer of change.

People are tired, physically and mentally and the media is controlled by
what, seven corporations now, whose diverse stockholders have an
interest in commodification of every aspect of our lives.

Their goal is to rent us our clothes and furniture.

The war on terror is bogus. Terrorists are people who resist the
American government, plain and simple. As a result, there are more
terrorists every day. If you read about globalization and the WTO,
you'll now why it was targeted. European countries, including the United
States, have been sending gun boats or paying off dictators and
politicians of small countries to extract the wealth of people of color
for centuries. Now it is our turn to face reduced social spending and to
be pitted against the worlds poorest workers in a race to the bottom of
the barrel.

No one in my extended family has a compost pile. I'd guess heirloom
concept or open pollinated is not known either. Got to carry on
anyway ! Perhaps a family gathering where dinner is done but some items
are missing that can be culled in our back yard.

Anybody who read Pollan knows that processed foods are imitation foods,
which, due to contamination and lack of nutrition, are poison. The only
safe course is to steep ourselves in real food.

Bill scheming.

While scheming, let your light shine and bang that damn pot.
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars