Old 19-04-2009, 01:36 AM
Registered User

Post how to create decorative stones walkway

Hi,

I'm planning to create a walkway in my garden using the decorative stones (small pebbles, etc).

I got myself the hand tamper to smooth and compact the soil, which is working but really back breaking.

Anyways, my question is: initially I was thinking of creating a 3 inch concrete on top of the soil and then putting any stones to create walkway.

But now I'm thinking if its possible to just put lot of weedkillers on soil before covering the soil with landscape fabric and then any decorative stones, that will save me not putting any concrete at all.

Can anyone advice if it will work or is it still better to use concrete instead before proceeding.

I'm also thinking of creating a concrete retaining wall (approx. 45cm high) as my garden is bit uneven (slopy). This wall will be just next to the walkway. On the other side of the wall I'll level and planning to turf.

Thanks in advance.

RK
Old 19-04-2009, 06:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default how to create decorative stones walkway

In article ,
RK77 wrote:

But now I'm thinking if its possible to just put lot of weedkillers on
soil before covering the soil with landscape fabric and then any
decorative stones, that will save me not putting any concrete at all.

You want him Kate?

Think I'd just shoot him, and save myself the grief.
--

- Billy

Old 19-04-2009, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 22:30:05 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
RK77 wrote:

But now I'm thinking if its possible to just put lot of weedkillers on
soil before covering the soil with landscape fabric and then any
decorative stones, that will save me not putting any concrete at all.

You want him Kate?

I don't think I'll be much help, not being a fan of concrete or
weedkillers.

Anyway, others can explain it better but you could use newspaper or
cardboard to smother the weeds, then either put your stones down or
perhaps just mulch.

Enjoy your garden!

Kate - it's planting season and I'm achy!
Old 19-04-2009, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 22:30:05 -0700, Billy
wrote:

This is a job for Pavers Person! http://tinyurl.com/dngkot

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...t=paver+stones

Old 20-04-2009, 03:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 19, 7:13 am, wrote:
On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 22:30:05 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
RK77 wrote:

But now I'm thinking if its possible to just put lot of weedkillers on
soil before covering the soil with landscape fabric and then any
decorative stones, that will save me not putting any concrete at all.

You want him Kate?

I don't think I'll be much help, not being a fan of concrete or
weedkillers.

Anyway, others can explain it better but you could use newspaper or
cardboard to smother the weeds, then either put your stones down or
perhaps just mulch.

Enjoy your garden!

Kate - it's planting season and I'm achy!

Please no weed killers, our waters are polluted enough allready.
As Kate says newpapers are great. 20 sheets laid flat and sprinkled
with water so they
will sort of "adhere" to the ground and then covered with your rock/
pebbles will last for a very
long time. YEARS if it doesn't get water on it all the time and just
years if it gets wet a lot.

Emilie
NorCal

Old 20-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Registered User

Post

Thanks everyone for their time,

no weedkiller it is then, now i know I can use the newspaper which will be great and also save me money.

other thing i would like you guys to help me with is that if I need a topsoil, where should i find it cheap. looking at around 16-20 tonne of it to be use to lay turf or seeding grass.

Can someone also recommend what shrub / climbing plant will be good for my garden. My garden border is adjacent to school and children climb up the fence and enter the garden to get their balls etc. we told the school about it but they haven't taken any action yet. Will there any any thick bush etc i can use to stop them.

Thanks