Old 23-06-2009, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Keeping a 3' by 3' square of grass turf alive

In article
,
wrote:

On Jun 23, 1:00*pm, Bob wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:11:45 -0700, Billy
wrote:

--SNIP-- of the idiot Billy conjecturing and posturing, followed by
a well-reasoned retort by someone who actually does and knows, as
opposed to the jerk with a keyboard who doesn't do and doesn't know.

Bob,

You have run into a couple of the resident loons, who are perfectly
willing to talk out of their a$$ about something they know absolutely
nothing about.

Here's where I fault you, though. ;-) You spotted them for what
they were, and yet wasted a few minutes of your life responding!
That was a waste of time, oxygen, and electrons.

A man much wiser than the Billdoes once said: "Never argue with
idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with
experience." Words to live by!

Of course, you stayed on the high road and soundly beat 'em both,
but still... ;-)

Mc

Odd, never saw you here before. So what are the odds and the point
spread?
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://green-house.tv/video/the-spring-garden-tour
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 23-06-2009, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,

wrote:

[...]

And you smart ass have posted 12 times in the last 5 years.

Bill

That would make him one of our irregulars. Probably eats too many HoHos,
and Dingdongs. You are what you eat, sir.

Old 24-06-2009, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
wrote:

On Jun 23, 1:07*pm, Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,

*Bob wrote:
Nice to know that people are concerned for the animals. *While I
appreciate that advice, I have to wonder how this got off track. *Let
me emphasize: I do have licensing, I've been doing this for years, and
any animal in my care gets the best veterinary care available, etc.

*What type Lincense ?

do have a background in microbiology

*So what is a background?

Something you completely lack here.

, so I know about rabies and other
zoonotics. *
And 'homesick' was a convenient term...animals do get
stressed when in foreign environments. *I hope that clarifies things.

*No you said words that said nothing

Those of us who get enough oxygen to our brains knew what he meant by
'homesick', and certainly even those with room-temperature IQs got it
after
he explained above.

Seriously, are you that thick? Or are you completely ignorant of the
matter
at hand? In which case, why are you responding? I know, I know,
because
you can. sigh

What I don't know is gardening. *So again, I appreciate those who have
provided practical advice, and hope this hasn't run too far off track.

* Called me a loon with your qualifications get real.

I'll call you a loon and I don't have half (any, really) the
qualifications Bob
does. Since you deem yourself worthy to criticize Bob, could you
tell
us YOUR qualifications in the subject of animal rescue?

(crickets)

What I thought. You ARE a loon.

*Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
*-Philo of Alexandria

http://www.youtube.com/usnationalarchives

So that makes 16 times he's posted here in the last 5 years.
You'll notice Dr. Bob never uses technical words that may normally be
used by people in his profession like biome, or the whole Family, Genus,
Specie thing, or why say rabies and zoonotics, when just zoonosises
covers it all, or calling his wards "inmates"?
No, Im afraid that school is out, and we will have adolescents to deal
with as well as trolls, who use ad hominem attacks, and invectives for
arguments.

Old 24-06-2009, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote in

t.au:

Never met a Wild Life Rescue that was a "me" before. If Fish and
Game are cool with you, so am I, otherwise the above applies.

really? most of the ones i know of out here are individuals, with
the exception of the song bird rescue in ME, & even they farm out the
birds to volunteers.
most rescues have limited space here *because* they are private
individuals, & most specialize (like the bat rehabber in the next
town. only bat rehab in 3 states around).
lee
Old 24-06-2009, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 16:28:15 -0400, Bob wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 08:42:37 -0500, wrote:

Squirrels will appreciate sticks. They need to chew to keep their
teeth from growing too much. If you're indoors, perhaps leaves and
straw which could be cleaned out daily.

For grass and such, you can buy wheat grass at many supermarkets. Or
buy grass seed and sow it in pots.

Kate

Hi Kate. Your practical reply kind of caught me by surprise (the
thread has taken on a life of its own g).

Yeah, we provide sticks and limbs, and have people pick up driftwood,
etc. Their teeth grow constantly, and they need to keep them worn
down. A couple of the little guys think they're beavers; amazing how
much wood they can chomp through. We also build low structures out of
limbs for those who are safe climbing. (Some of the more severe
injuries need to be kept in low cages so they can't attempt to climb).

Re the 'mini-lawn': I first tried small test patch of grass, but it
probably had too little drainage. Not sure what our supermarkets
have, but I'll check that.

The indoor enclosures do have substrates, etc., but I try to take
advantage of our summer weather, especially for those who have been
cooped up for a while. The natural UV makes a big difference.

Seems like this question is off the beaten path. I suppose that most
are more familiar with growing grass lawns, but it occurs to me now
that this is relatively specialized. Maybe wishful thinking on my
part to be attempting the 'mini-lawn' thing.

Hi Bob,

I understand your desire to make life better for them. I volunteered
at a wildlife rehab several years back and would take in herbs and
greens and carrot greens from my yard for the bunnies and gathered
sticks and limbs for the squirrels. I work in dog rescue now and am
always trying to come up with ways to make the dogs lives better while
they're with us.

I don't know about lawns but as others have said, rye is a quick
growing grass and oats grow quickly too. There are short variety
carrots that would grow in a 6 inch deep planter, maybe made of peat.

The wheat grass is usually found in the produce section, I think, for
people who drink it or something. I've bought it once for a cat - the
peat pot it was in wasn't heavy enough for the cat grazing and I
repotted into a clay pot.

Good luck, have fun and thanks for doing what you do.

Kate

Old 24-06-2009, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Billy wrote in

t.au:

Never met a Wild Life Rescue that was a "me" before. If Fish and
Game are cool with you, so am I, otherwise the above applies.

really? most of the ones i know of out here are individuals, with
the exception of the song bird rescue in ME, & even they farm out the
birds to volunteers.
most rescues have limited space here *because* they are private
individuals, & most specialize (like the bat rehabber in the next
town. only bat rehab in 3 states around).
lee

Volunteers, yes. But Dr. Bob didn't give the feeling of being a
competent saw-bones. Our bird rescue is a group affair (a friend worked
there), with it's own site. Animal rescue, sets bones, and treats burns
before releasing animals to volunteers. We only have one bat lady. Saw
her give a presentation once. Wildlife rescue is not my strongest
subject.

I tie my dogs in the truck to a central point on a rope that goes from
side to side of my truck. The snap that is connected to both their
tethers rotates so that the dogs don't get wrapped around each other.
Five years ago, or so, a lady stopped me in the parking lot of a grocery
store, and told me that the set up was dangerous for the dogs. I tried
to re-assure her that it was fine, but she kept insisting it was
dangerous. She wasn't trying to give me a bad time. She was concerned
for my dogs welfare. I thanked her for her concern, and wished her a
Merry Christmas (it was late Dec.). When she started in again, I just
thanked her again for her concern, and again wished her a Merry
Christmas. After a couple of more times, she gave up and walked away.
If Dr. Bob was for real, he would contact the zoology dept. at a
college, a biologist at a local high school, or alt.med.veterinary for
his information. He wouldn't be asking gardeners with no expertise in
animal rehabilitation, which he apparently doesn't have either.

I think I used up my two cents;o)

Old 24-06-2009, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:47:03 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
enigma wrote:

[...]

Clearly.

I tie my dogs in the truck to a central point on a rope that goes from
side to side of my truck. The snap that is connected to both their
tethers rotates so that the dogs don't get wrapped around each other.
Five years ago, or so, a lady stopped me in the parking lot of a grocery
store, and told me that the set up was dangerous for the dogs. I tried
to re-assure her that it was fine, but she kept insisting it was
dangerous. She wasn't trying to give me a bad time. She was concerned
for my dogs welfare. I thanked her for her concern, and wished her a
Merry Christmas (it was late Dec.). When she started in again, I just
thanked her again for her concern, and again wished her a Merry
Christmas. After a couple of more times, she gave up and walked away.

How antiquated - having your dogs tied up in the back of your truck.
I guess if you get in an accident, their necks will just break as
opposed to being thrown from the bed.

If Dr. Bob was for real, he would contact the zoology dept. at a
college, a biologist at a local high school, or alt.med.veterinary for
his information. He wouldn't be asking gardeners with no expertise in
animal rehabilitation, which he apparently doesn't have either.

Been to alt.vet.med recently? Dead newsgroup. And why would he ask a
question about growing grass there?

I apologize for responding in the manner you often do, but why assume
the worst from everyone you don't know who posts here?

Usenet used to be a place where if you were sitting at your computer
and had a question you could find a group that could offer you ideas.
If it's your intent to wreck rec.gardens, congrats - you'e doing a
bang up job.

I think I used up my two cents;o)

Yes, lovely attack as usual.

Kate - apologies to the group. Long day.
Old 24-06-2009, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:47:03 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
enigma wrote:

[...]

Sure you wouldn't like to put a finer point on that?
At the very least, I wish his "inmates" luck. I'm afraid they'll need it.
I told the OP to get professional advice, and when he didn't see the
wisdom of that I took umbrage with his intent. I have no basis for that
conclusion except having listen to idiots for many years that have tried
to pass themselves off as "enlightened".

[...]

And your suggestion would be? My dogs love riding in the truck. What
should I do? Strap them to a pallet, secured with a truckers hitch?
Do you have dogs? Do you take them to the nursery, hardware store, or
the market. They have three lots to run around on but, like most of us,
they want more.

If Dr. Bob was for real, he would contact the zoology dept. at a
college, a biologist at a local high school, or alt.med.veterinary for
his information. He wouldn't be asking gardeners with no expertise in
animal rehabilitation, which he apparently doesn't have either.

Been to alt.vet.med recently? Dead newsgroup. And why would he ask a
question about growing grass there?

Sadly, you are correct about alt.med.veternarian, but still 2 for 3
ain't bad;O)

I apologize for responding in the manner you often do, but why assume
the worst from everyone you don't know who posts here?

It didn't start that way. If he could have given the group that he works
through, there would have been no question.

Usenet used to be a place where if you were sitting at your computer
and had a question you could find a group that could offer you ideas.
If it's your intent to wreck rec.gardens, congrats - you'e doing a
bang up job.

Ah, jeez, don't go maudlin on me. If you want to be an enabler for
anyone who wants to imprison a wild animal, fine, but I want no part of
it.

I think I used up my two cents;o)

Yes, lovely attack as usual.

Attack as needed.

Kate - apologies to the group. Long day.

Duh, it's the Summer Solstice, sweety.

Old 24-06-2009, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob Bob is offline

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 14:08:22 -0700 (PDT), nativo
wrote:

I'm sorry I don't know a lot about gardening so I can't help you
there. I think some of the ideas you have come up with are great and
you should try them. Obviously you've already discovered what doesn't
work.

I read some of you're other responses. I just wanted you to know that
I think it's a great thing what you're doing for the rescued animals.

Thanks for your kind words, Nativo. Nice to hear the positive
comments!
Old 24-06-2009, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob Bob is offline

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 23:28:43 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

Billy wrote in

t.au:

Never met a Wild Life Rescue that was a "me" before. If Fish and
Game are cool with you, so am I, otherwise the above applies.

really? most of the ones i know of out here are individuals, with
the exception of the song bird rescue in ME, & even they farm out the
birds to volunteers.
most rescues have limited space here *because* they are private
individuals,

That would be correct. There are only about 4 or 5 of us (in a large
city), and no funded organizations that deal with wildlife. That is,
aside from housing them overnight and usually euthanizing them within
a day or two.

The 'Billy's of the world should try volunteering their time rather
than telling everyone else how it should be done. That would lend
some perspective in a hurry.

& most specialize (like the bat rehabber in the next
town. only bat rehab in 3 states around).
lee

BTW, my father (out of state) works with bats. Amazing creatures.

Old 24-06-2009, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bob wrote:

There are only about 4 or 5 of us (in a large
city), and no funded organizations that deal with wildlife. That is,
aside from housing them overnight and usually euthanizing them within
a day or two.

I said put them down and labeled a loon. Euthanasia sounds so
correct.

21 century Schizoid man

Bill

Old 24-06-2009, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob Bob is offline

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 18:47:03 -0700, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
enigma wrote:

really? most of the ones i know of out here are individuals, with
the exception of the song bird rescue in ME, & even they farm out the
birds to volunteers.
most rescues have limited space here *because* they are private
individuals, & most specialize (like the bat rehabber in the next
town. only bat rehab in 3 states around).
lee

Volunteers, yes. But Dr. Bob didn't give the feeling of being a
competent saw-bones.

Lee was correct, you're not. And what's with the "Dr. Bob" thing? Are
you retarded? I said I volunteer my time and money, I took the time
to study and get licensing, I hire the best veterinary specialists
that I can find, and fund everything myself. That's all you need to
know.

I tie my dogs in the truck to a central point on a rope that goes from

[mercy snip]

Your thing started off tiresome and went downhill from there.
Hopefully you got the attention that you crave.

Wildlife rescue is not my strongest subject.

That would be correct.

I think I used up my two cents;o)

Hallelujiah. Now go volunteer your own time and money so you can
figure out what's actually going on here.
Old 24-06-2009, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob Bob is offline

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 12:40:52 +0000 (UTC), Mc
wrote:

Billy wrote in news:wildbilly-

He wouldn't be asking gardeners with no expertise in
animal rehabilitation, which he apparently doesn't have either.

He's asking about growing grass you moron! Is he going to ask "the
zoology dept. at a college, a biologist at a local high school, or
alt.med.veterinary" ABOUT GROWING GRASS?!?!

That gave me a chuckle too. But you gotta admire his tenacity--he's
sticking to it: I should be asking zoologists and veterinarians about
growing grass. But lucky for me, Billy the Gardener knows all about
zoology. So it evens out. g

And it is a shame that this was turned into another usenet flame
thread by a couple self-centered loons. Most usenet groups have gone
that direction, as it only takes a couple of 'em.

If you want to see something hilarious, read through some threads on
science and physics groups sometime. They've got wackos who have
theories about quantum mechanics, but they "...don't know math, so
someone else has to write it down". Some funny stuff.
Old 24-06-2009, 08:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bob wrote in
news
That would be correct. There are only about 4 or 5 of us (in a
large city), and no funded organizations that deal with
wildlife. That is, aside from housing them overnight and usually
euthanizing them within a day or two.

not NYC?
do you get any other of the fringe city dwellers, like oppossum,
raccoons, coyotes, foxes? or just the obvious, like squirrels? any
birds? raptors?

BTW, my father (out of state) works with bats. Amazing
creatures.

yes, they are. i'm so happy the government is giving emergency
funding for the study of white nose! can you imagine how awful the
mosquitoes would be without them? or a world without vanilla?
lee bat conservation international. donate!!!