Old 02-07-2009, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Scotts Weed Control Fertilizer Killed Our Lawn!!Measurements....

"MICHELLE H." wrote in message
The entire yard/house is on 0.11 acres. The property measurements for
our entire lot/yard is 50 feet x 100 feet. We have 50 feet in front. 50
feet in back, and 100 feet on the sides of our property.

So thats it, its official, our Scotts Drop Spreader must have
malfunctioned, and even though it was set at 5.5, it must have came out
at like a 10 or 11!?

Well, I guess its going straight to the curb for trash pickup in a few
days, and we have to invest in a new one!!!

Everyone says to invest in a "rotary type" spreader, but is a "rotary
spreader" really that good for our SMALL lawn??? I always thought that
drop spreaders were good for small lawns, and rotary spreaders are
better for bigger lawns???

Get rid of the drop spreader, none of them work very well. For your size
lawn a hand held broadcast spreader is best.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Scotts Weed Control Fertilizer Killed Our Lawn!! HELP!!!

In article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

In this case the OP has
applied more than four times the recommended amount and probably
underwatered. The lawn is damaged but not destroyed. Water generously
every day without applying any more chemicals until the lawn revives.

And where does this water take the chemferts? Where does the percolated,
or run off water go, Christian hater?
--

- Billy

learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and
find out for themselves.
Will Rogers

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/7/1/headlines#4
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 02-07-2009, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

MICHELLE H. wrote:
I don't know the actual square feet of the lawn, but do know that it is
0.11 acres, and we used 2 full bags of 5,000 square foot Scotts "Weed
Control" fertilizer.

That sounds like ~4500 square feet, including the footprint of the house
so you applied the Scotts at least twice the recommended strength.

When you say you have "clover" in the lawn, do you mean real clover or
oxalis? (Clover has leaves that are compound and each petal is round.
The flowers are red or white. Oxalis has heart-shaped leaf petals and
the flowers are little lavender and lily-shaped.)

gloria p
Old 02-07-2009, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 15:35:52 -0600, Gloria P
wrote:

MICHELLE H. wrote:
I don't know the actual square feet of the lawn, but do know that it is
0.11 acres, and we used 2 full bags of 5,000 square foot Scotts "Weed
Control" fertilizer.

That sounds like ~4500 square feet, including the footprint of the house
so you applied the Scotts at least twice the recommended strength.

When you say you have "clover" in the lawn, do you mean real clover or
oxalis? (Clover has leaves that are compound and each petal is round.
The flowers are red or white. Oxalis has heart-shaped leaf petals and
the flowers are little lavender and lily-shaped.)

gloria p

There is also burr clover, we use it for a lawn weed in southern
California

http://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/im...um=33809&one=T
Old 03-07-2009, 01:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Gloria P" wrote in message
MICHELLE H. wrote:
I don't know the actual square feet of the lawn, but do know that it is
0.11 acres, and we used 2 full bags of 5,000 square foot Scotts "Weed
Control" fertilizer.

That sounds like ~4500 square feet, including the footprint of the house
so you applied the Scotts at least twice the recommended strength.

When you say you have "clover" in the lawn, do you mean real clover or
oxalis? (Clover has leaves that are compound and each petal is round.
The flowers are red or white. Oxalis has heart-shaped leaf petals and
the flowers are little lavender and lily-shaped.)

The common form of Oxalis seldom grows in lawn as it hates having its leaves
constantly trimmed. It is a plant that thrives in disturbed ground and
lawns generally don't fit that category.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Scotts Weed Control Fertilizer Killed Our Lawn!! Brooklyn1....

Brooklyn1,

I just wanted to THANK YOU for all of the great info, you posted, I
really do appreciate it!! Also, you are very smart, as you do seem to
know about how a small city works!!!

First off, you are absolutely right about the 0.11 acres being the
entire lot ( house, driveway, sidewalks, lawn, etc, etc. ).

Second you are almost right about where the 0.11 acres came from, and
that is both from a tax bill/invoice, and our citys yearly home
assessment that they do.

Third, you are correct about the greedy elected officials and their
FINES against homeowners. In our city, we have whats known as "Code
Violations". The "Code Violations" can be anything from trash/debris in
your yard, lawn/tree/shrub overgrowth, peeling paint, unregistered
vehicle in driveway, building without a permit, fence violations, etc,
etc. Our city has a website, where people/neighbors can go to, and
ANONYMOUSLY report you for a "code violation", and then you get fined by
the city unless you fix the problem.

The rule in our city is that if your grass at least 6 inches tall or
higher, than you get a fine of $50 dollars A DAY, until the lawn is
mowed!!!!! Same goes for overgrown trees and shrubs/bushes.

Nice to see that there is somebody out there, who understands these
things!!! So thanks again for all the great info!!!!

Old 03-07-2009, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Scotts Weed Control Fertilizer Killed Our Lawn!! Gloria....

Gloria,

Yes, its real clover with the 3 green leaves, and the little White
flowers that popup everywhere.

It looks like this:

White Clover - Google Image Search

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...q=white+clover

Old 03-07-2009, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

"MICHELLE H." wrote in message
[...]

Glad to be of help. Practically all municipalities in the US have zoning
and code laws and do employ zoning and code enforcement officers. Zoning is
typically enforced because zoning is very closely tied to insurance
regulations, but code enforcement is very subjective, especially in smaller
communities because there nepotism runs rampant; as you note all the gossipy
ratting on each other. Code enforcement officers usually have regular
employment and do their code violation inspections as a side job, whereas
code officers aren't compensated very well so payola is the norm.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

We used 10,000 square feet of fertilizer, on a 2,500 square foot lawn,
so this shows that our 10 to 12 year old drop spreader malfunctioned,
and it put down way too much fertilizer.

We will follow your advice, and give the lawn plenty of water, and hope
that the roots can regenerate, and HOPEFULLY some Green grass will start
to grow back!?

Old 03-07-2009, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

"MICHELLE H." wrote in message
We used 10,000 square feet of fertilizer, on a 2,500 square foot lawn,
so this shows that our 10 to 12 year old drop spreader malfunctioned,
and it put down way too much fertilizer.

We will follow your advice, and give the lawn plenty of water, and hope
that the roots can regenerate, and HOPEFULLY some Green grass will start
to grow back!?

Once the grass begins to rejuvenate wait for a cool wet spell and over seed
with a sparse application of grass seed. If your grass does not rejuvenate
then you will need to begin from square one. Don't apply too much seed, if
it stands in piles it will begin to compost and the heat generated will kill
the seed.... with lawns everything in moderation, less is more, even too
much water will harm a lawn. From now on use a hand held broadcast spreader
(provides more accuracy with smaller lawns) and cut all settings by half...
do NOT fall into the trap of adding a bit more with the thought of being
generous... be miserly... when applying any lawn chemicals including
fertilzer pretend you're salting a pot of stew. And don't permit children
and especially pets to walk on a freshly treated lawn, and leave your
gardening footwear outdoors. A good idea to remove all gardening clothing
and launder immediately, separately, and shower immediately too. Never
permit children, pets, or anyone, help treat a lawn. In most municipalities
these days flagging a freshly treated lawn is manditory.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(MICHELLE H.) wrote:

Third, you are correct about the greedy elected officials and their
FINES against homeowners. In our city, we have whats known as "Code
Violations". The "Code Violations" can be anything from trash/debris in
your yard, lawn/tree/shrub overgrowth, peeling paint, unregistered
vehicle in driveway, building without a permit, fence violations, etc,
etc. Our city has a website, where people/neighbors can go to, and
ANONYMOUSLY report you for a "code violation", and then you get fined by
the city unless you fix the problem.

The rule in our city is that if your grass at least 6 inches tall or
higher, than you get a fine of $50 dollars A DAY, until the lawn is
mowed!!!!! Same goes for overgrown trees and shrubs/bushes.

Home of the Brave and Land of the Fee.

Wonder whatever happened to the "Land of the Free".
Heh, probably privatized, derivatized, and sold to China, not that we'll
ever see a dime of it.
--

http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
http://www.tomdispatch.com/p/zinn
Old 03-07-2009, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
(MICHELLE H.) wrote:

We used 10,000 square feet of fertilizer, on a 2,500 square foot lawn,
so this shows that our 10 to 12 year old drop spreader malfunctioned,
and it put down way too much fertilizer.

We will follow your advice, and give the lawn plenty of water, and hope
that the roots can regenerate, and HOPEFULLY some Green grass will start
to grow back!?

Following Shelly's advice? Shelly who normally can't find his butt with
both hands? You must be a kindred spirit. The helpless following the
blind.

Let's also hope that your nitrites and phosphates don't find their way
into city wells, which will aid in creating blue babies, or into
waterways that create dead zones in the sea. The chemferts will pass
with time, so why don't you just suck it up, and keep the problem where
where you made it, instead of flushing it off to others to deal with?
Oh, that's right,
YOU want a green lawn.

Why don't you just spay paint it until next Spring?

Old 03-07-2009, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
(MICHELLE H.) wrote:

[...]

Not for me I'd rather have a stinking infested jungle. Something like
Yoda's with stuff to eat or be eaten. But I Digress.

http://www.xgrass.com/?gclid=COmQ29-TupsCFVlM5QodS01CAw

Sort of like astro tuff for folks that like looks with nary a thought
other. Still they will not have to spray or think.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

http://www.youtube.com/usnationalarchives
Old 03-07-2009, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

MICHELLE H. wrote:
We used 10,000 square feet of fertilizer, on a 2,500 square foot lawn,
so this shows that our 10 to 12 year old drop spreader malfunctioned,
and it put down way too much fertilizer.

We will follow your advice, and give the lawn plenty of water, and hope
that the roots can regenerate, and HOPEFULLY some Green grass will start
to grow back!?

Thread is amusing. Fault is yours for not knowing how much lawn you
have and for not checking spreader setting. You're always better off
having to open spreader up as you go along or having to walk about more
as too much fertilizer can brown lawn.

Personally I'd ditch the Scots plan. They make you a slave to your lawn
making you spread stuff 5 times a year and their stuff is expensive.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

MICHELLE H. wrote:
[...]

Home of the brave, land of the free. Amazing. Any politician who even
mentioned they might bring in such laws here would be out on their ear.

David