Old 09-04-2010, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Apple trees!

I planted them late fall, later than normally advised and with the far
harsher than normal winter on the east coast, expected they had died.

2 weeks ago we saw buds. Last week we saw a few greening bits. Today,
literally overnight one burst into bloom and the other looks like it will
tomorrow. Grin, YEAH!

Lettuce busting loose too.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

cshenk wrote:
I planted them late fall, later than normally advised and with the
far
harsher than normal winter on the east coast, expected they had
died.

2 weeks ago we saw buds. Last week we saw a few greening bits.
Today, literally overnight one burst into bloom

If you want to have strong healthy apple trees, as soon as they set
fruit, you'll be out there pulling them all off this 1st season!!

Tom J

Old 10-04-2010, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

"cshenk" wrote:

I planted them late fall, later than normally advised and with the far
harsher than normal winter on the east coast, expected they had died.

2 weeks ago we saw buds. Last week we saw a few greening bits. Today,
literally overnight one burst into bloom and the other looks like it will
tomorrow. Grin, YEAH!

Yeah, fruit trees are beginning to blossom in the NE.

Lettuce busting loose too.

Wow, you grow lettuce in your bra! LOL
Old 10-04-2010, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

I planted them late fall, later than normally advised and with the far harsher
than normal winter on the east coast, expected they had died.

2 weeks ago we saw buds. Last week we saw a few greening bits. Today,
literally overnight one burst into bloom and the other looks like it will
tomorrow. Grin, YEAH!

Lettuce busting loose too.

My apple trees have buds with a few blosoms shining all pink and white.
I have one cherry tree that has many blosoms. This is their first spring
in my garden. All dwarf with the exception of the one I started by seed
last year. It's still growing with putting out new leaves and that's all I
expect from it for a couple years.

But for the past couple of mornings, including this morning, it is below
freezing out. I'm in the Pacific NW and while it does still snow, freeze
this time of year, I'm hoping it won't affect my plants and trees. I do have
them protected so they should be ok.

Donna
in WA

Old 10-04-2010, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Tom J" wrote
cshenk wrote:

I planted them late fall, later than normally advised and with the
harsher than normal winter on the east coast, expected they had died.

2 weeks ago we saw buds. Last week we saw a few greening bits. Today,
literally overnight one burst into bloom

If you want to have strong healthy apple trees, as soon as they set fruit,
you'll be out there pulling them all off this 1st season!!

That makes sense Tom. I can enjoy the booms in the meantime but this first
year after being planted they need their root development to be the main
thing. These are both semi-dwarf ones (over head lines etc, didnt want too
big).

One is a granny smith and the other a yellow delicious. They are
recommended good cross pollenators. Both in the front yard, about 20 feet
or so apart.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

"brooklyn1" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

I planted them late fall, later than normally advised and with the far
harsher than normal winter on the east coast, expected they had died.

2 weeks ago we saw buds. Last week we saw a few greening bits. Today,
literally overnight one burst into bloom and the other looks like it will
tomorrow. Grin, YEAH!

Yeah, fruit trees are beginning to blossom in the NE.

Heheh well it's my only 2 fruit trees and the only apples anyplace nearby so
the neighbors are all wandering up to make a happy glance (friendly
neighbors, not a problem!).

Lettuce busting loose too.

Wow, you grow lettuce in your bra! LOL

Snicker, container garden. I'm trying spinach and broccoli too for the
first time. I have 6 tomatoes in a container and 2 in the yard. The Sweet
William is burting with glorous flowers too!

I'm thinking to put in some lilac along the side of the house.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Lelandite" wrote

2 weeks ago we saw buds. Last week we saw a few greening bits. Today,
literally overnight one burst into bloom and the other looks like it will
tomorrow. Grin, YEAH!

My apple trees have buds with a few blosoms shining all pink and white.
I have one cherry tree that has many blosoms. This is their first spring
in my garden. All dwarf with the exception of the one I started by seed
last year. It's still growing with putting out new leaves and that's all
expect from it for a couple years.

Whootness! (Thats a kid saying today). I'll skip the cherries as they are
such a mess but they sure do look pretty!

But for the past couple of mornings, including this morning, it is below
freezing out. I'm in the Pacific NW and while it does still snow, freeze
this time of year, I'm hoping it won't affect my plants and trees. I do
have
them protected so they should be ok.

Hopefully!

Here it's greening up nicely after a hard winter.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"cshenk" wrote:

"Lelandite" wrote

2 weeks ago we saw buds. Last week we saw a few greening bits. Today,
literally overnight one burst into bloom and the other looks like it will
tomorrow. Grin, YEAH!

My apple trees have buds with a few blosoms shining all pink and white.
I have one cherry tree that has many blosoms. This is their first spring
in my garden. All dwarf with the exception of the one I started by seed
last year. It's still growing with putting out new leaves and that's all
expect from it for a couple years.

Whootness! (Thats a kid saying today). I'll skip the cherries as they are
such a mess but they sure do look pretty!

Take a look at the double flower fruits. That have flowers but are
sterile. I have a weeping crab apple and a few cherries about trying to
extend magnolia bloom and Dogwood and Kousa . Look at Stewardia and
Franklinia too. The later go into August here with flowers.

Anyone know of a chart with blooming time for flowering trees ?

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 10-04-2010, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 16:03:01 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

"brooklyn1" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

[...]

I like evergreens for foundation shrubs, they soften the starkness of
masonary where the building meets the ground all year... I'd place
lilac away from the house, perhaps near the road and/or at property
lines to offer some privacy during warm seasons when people are about.
Lilac loves full sun, it can grow large and with judicious pruning
becomes dense. Shrubs that produce sweet smelling flowers also
attract bees, so you want to place them away from where people
congregate outdoors and from where doors and windows are apt to be
opened.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article ,
"cshenk" wrote:

"Lelandite" wrote

[...]

My Indian Crab Apple (double flower bloom) is just now opening up.
It is so beautiful with it's bright magenta, maroon color. I can a Dogwood
but it's had one heck of a life for only being a few years old. So no
flowers until it grows quite a bit more.

I may have a chart in my gardening book re blooming time for
flowering trees. Will post if I do.

Donna
in WA

Old 11-04-2010, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

cshenk wrote:
"Tom J" wrote
cshenk wrote:

I planted them late fall, later than normally advised and with the
harsher than normal winter on the east coast, expected they had died.

2 weeks ago we saw buds. Last week we saw a few greening bits.
Today, literally overnight one burst into bloom

If you want to have strong healthy apple trees, as soon as they set
fruit, you'll be out there pulling them all off this 1st season!!

That makes sense Tom. I can enjoy the booms in the meantime but this
first year after being planted they need their root development to be
the main thing. These are both semi-dwarf ones (over head lines etc,
didnt want too big).

One is a granny smith and the other a yellow delicious. They are
recommended good cross pollenators. Both in the front yard, about 20
feet or so apart.

Do you know offhand of a site that lists types of apples and good
cross pollinators? I think I am going to plant at least three
apple trees this year.... (Also two cherries. There are two very
ratty ornamental cherry trees at the new house now, and eventually
I want to replace them with fruiting cherries. My plan, perhaps
bad, is to place the latter near the former and wait until the get
a bit more mature....)

--
Jean B.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

"cshenk" wrote:
[...]

Oh, tell me about evergreens for foundation plantings (sigh). The
new house has hydrangeas in front of it, and it looks hideous. I
learned the lesson about flowering shrubs at my parents' house.
We had to wend our way past the swarming bees to get to the door.
Ack!

--
Jean B.
Old 17-04-2010, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jean B." wrote
cshenk wrote:

One is a granny smith and the other a yellow delicious. They are
recommended good cross pollenators. Both in the front yard, about 20
feet or so apart.

Do you know offhand of a site that lists types of apples and good cross
pollinators? I think I am going to plant at least three apple trees this
year.... (Also two cherries. There are two very

There were a bunch of them. One I noted was the crab apple seems to be
workable for almost all types.

http://www.spokane-county.wsu.edu/sp...Trees%2005.pdf

Reasonable list there.

Old 19-04-2010, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

cshenk wrote:
"Jean B." wrote
cshenk wrote:

One is a granny smith and the other a yellow delicious. They are
recommended good cross pollenators. Both in the front yard, about 20
feet or so apart.

Do you know offhand of a site that lists types of apples and good
cross pollinators? I think I am going to plant at least three apple
trees this year.... (Also two cherries. There are two very

There were a bunch of them. One I noted was the crab apple seems to be
workable for almost all types.

http://www.spokane-county.wsu.edu/sp...Trees%2005.pdf

Reasonable list there.

Oh, good. There are two crab apples at the new house. That list
will be very useful, because I also want to get two fruiting
cherry trees, which will eventually replace the tortured
non-fruiting ones that are currently there.

Thank you!

--
Jean B.
Old 20-04-2010, 07:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 11, 6:23*pm, "Lelandite" wrote:
"Bill who putters" wrote in ...

In article ,
"cshenk" wrote:

"Lelandite" wrote

[...]

in WA- Hide quoted text -

Sir Can I have a copy of Bloomin Chart, I will be grateful
Shah
shahwin at gmail.com