Old 18-04-2010, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

Default Weeds on greens?

In article ,
Howard Brazee wrote:

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 14:47:43 -0700 (PDT), Manco
wrote:

Of course golf course keepers use tons of chemicals to kill any weeds
on the greens and fairways.

And it often works.

While it kills anything natural around it e.g. soil organisms, insects,
natural plants, and leaves behind a residue of death (biocides).
--
- Billy
Old 18-04-2010, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

On Apr 18, 11:23*pm, "Fred Williams" wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:23:39 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Fred Williams wrote:
I've never seen weeds on greens, even on the
cheapest of golf courses. So does that mean
that the grass used for greens repels weeds
or is it because of the skills of green-keepers?

The reason I ask, is because I would like to
make part of my lawn suitable for putting on.

Would overseeding with green-type seed do, or
do I have to clear a patch down to the earth (no
big deal) and start afresh?

What seed would you recommend for Southern
Ontario (Canada)?

tia

Fred

If you want a putting green be prepared for seeding, watering,
fertilising, spraying, watering, cutting, rolling, aerating,
cutting, mowing, watering, fertilising, seeding, paying, watering,
fertilising, spraying, watering, cutting, aerating, cutting, paying,
mowing, rolling, watering, fertilising, seeding, watering,
fertilising, spraying, watering, cutting, aerating, cutting, mowing,
watering, fertilising and paying.

And you will get to putt on it too. *Sounds like fun.

David

Link from astroturf.com:
http://www.synlawn.com/artificial_gr...tting_greens_s...

Thanks. I'll see if I can afford it.

Also see southwestgreens.com
Old 18-04-2010, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

wrote:

Fred Williams wrote:
[...]

Thanks!
Our local supplier: http://www.torontoputtinggreens.com/

Old 19-04-2010, 12:35 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

On Apr 17, 4:59*pm, "Fred Williams" wrote:
I've never seen weeds on greens, even on the
cheapest of golf courses. So does that mean
that the grass used for greens repels weeds
or is it because of the skills of green-keepers?

The reason I ask, is because I would like to
make part of my lawn suitable for putting on.

Would overseeding with green-type seed do, or
do I have to clear a patch down to the earth (no
big deal) and start afresh?

What seed would you recommend for Southern
Ontario (Canada)?

tia

Fred

Weeds on the greens means they don't use herbicides, and IMHO that's
terrific. No way to keep weeds off the greens without
herbicides...although I suppose you could get intense about pulling
them.
Old 19-04-2010, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

On Apr 18, 7:39*am, Alan Campbell
wrote:
In message
,
Manco writesOf course golf course keepers use tons of chemicals to kill any weeds
on the greens and fairways.

Thats a bit of a myth, most diseases and weeds etc can be controlled by
cultural practices. Furthermore, amenity ground comes under much
stricter control than agriculture and horticulture.

--
Alan Campbell

That's true. and some places do this, and at least in my experience,
you will always get a few weeds on the greens, which is a good sign,
IMHO. I wonder if they teach this in the greenskeepers programs in US
universities?

One thing I have also seen is the herbicides damage the soil
ecosystem, resulting in algal and fungal outbreaks attacking the
greens as a result, for which they use even more chemicals.

Had a neighbour who used a company called chemlawn to keep his lawn.
Beautiful green lawn. Sold the house and the new owner didn't keep up
the chemlawn. Totally dead lawn within a year, and needed to resod.

Old 19-04-2010, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 16:35:09 -0700 (PDT), Dinosaur_Sr
wrote:

On Apr 17, 4:59*pm, "Fred Williams" wrote:
I've never seen weeds on greens, even on the
cheapest of golf courses. So does that mean
that the grass used for greens repels weeds
or is it because of the skills of green-keepers?

The reason I ask, is because I would like to
make part of my lawn suitable for putting on.

Would overseeding with green-type seed do, or
do I have to clear a patch down to the earth (no
big deal) and start afresh?

What seed would you recommend for Southern
Ontario (Canada)?

tia

Fred

Weeds on the greens means they don't use herbicides, and IMHO that's
terrific. No way to keep weeds off the greens without
herbicides.

That's not true. There are various turf grasses that will choke out
weeds. Once established golf courses use very little chemicals... it
would be so costly to treat the acreage of an 18 hole course that
hardly anyone could afford to play. It's costly enough just to mow,
especially with the price of equipment and diesel nowadays. Golf
courses are maintained by proper irrigation and constant mowing.
Old 19-04-2010, 04:09 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

wrote:

Fred Williams wrote:
[...]

Look forward to hearing how you get on with them.
Old 19-04-2010, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

"Billy" wrote in message

wrote:

Of course golf course keepers use tons of chemicals to kill any weeds
on the greens and fairways.

And it often works.

While it kills anything natural around it e.g. soil organisms, insects,
natural plants, and leaves behind a residue of death (biocides).
--
- Billy

there's new products on the market and it's not quite the killer as you
describe above. Demand for new products that don't cause harm
to being green are in high demand and if that's what the people
will buy, it will/is be produced.

Not sure what I use but my home and yard attracts many birds of
severel species, it's a good thing I like worms though I do admitt the
nightcrawlers are kinda creepy (unless I'm fishing) my leaves on my
plants stay healthy until it's time for them to fall.

Read the package when you go shopping and you'll most likely find something
out there that will work for you and is not full poison. But then I'm not
looking for my yard to look like a golf course.

Donna
in WA zone8

Old 19-04-2010, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

In article ,
"Lelandite" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message

wrote:

Of course golf course keepers use tons of chemicals to kill any weeds
on the greens and fairways.

And it often works.

While it kills anything natural around it e.g. soil organisms, insects,
natural plants, and leaves behind a residue of death (biocides).
--
- Billy

there's new products

that's a plural
on the market and
it's not

that's a singular (?)
quite the killer as you
describe above. Demand for new products that don't cause harm
to being green are in high demand and if that's what the people
will buy, it will/is be produced.

Corn gluten is used as a pre-emergent herbicide, and is organic, but one
whiff of Dow, or Monsanto: "RUN"!.

Not sure what I use but my home and yard attracts many birds of
severel species, it's a good thing I like worms though I do admitt the
nightcrawlers are kinda creepy (unless I'm fishing) my leaves on my
plants stay healthy until it's time for them to fall.

Read the package when you go shopping and you'll most likely find something
out there that will work for you and is not full poison. But then I'm not
looking for my yard to look like a golf course.

Lawns were (are) a conceit of the rich, demonstrating that they could
afford to leave some of their lands fallow. Understood or not, they are
status symbols, and not very interesting ones at that.

Donna
in WA zone8

- Billy
Old 19-04-2010, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

Dinosaur_Sr wrote:

Had a neighbour who used a company called chemlawn to keep his lawn.
Beautiful green lawn. Sold the house and the new owner didn't keep up
the chemlawn. Totally dead lawn within a year, and needed to resod.

He probably didn't water it either.

Old 20-04-2010, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 14:03:49 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Dinosaur_Sr wrote:

Had a neighbour who used a company called chemlawn to keep his lawn.
Beautiful green lawn. Sold the house and the new owner didn't keep up
the chemlawn. Totally dead lawn within a year, and needed to resod.

He probably didn't water it either.

I think it's been some 20 years since Chemlawn operated under that
name... they changed to Truegreen... "Chem" didn't go over too well.
Back then on Long Island Chemlawn trucks were as visible as Good Humor
trucks.

Most folks don't water lawns properly... really not possible without
an automatic irrigation system.
Old 20-04-2010, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

BAR wrote:

In article ,
says...

Dinosaur_Sr wrote:

Had a neighbour who used a company called chemlawn to keep his lawn.
Beautiful green lawn. Sold the house and the new owner didn't keep up
the chemlawn. Totally dead lawn within a year, and needed to resod.

He probably didn't water it either.

Watering lawns is a waste of a valuable resource, the water.

Not true... there is still exactly the same quantity of water
available as when this planet was created... it's not possible to
waste water. It is possible to waste protoplasm, BAR screw.
Old 20-04-2010, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

On Apr 20, 11:27*am, BAR wrote:
In article ,
says...

Dinosaur_Sr wrote:

Had a neighbour who used a company called chemlawn to keep his lawn.
Beautiful green lawn. Sold the house and the new owner didn't keep up
the chemlawn. Totally dead lawn within a year, and needed to resod.

He probably didn't water it either.

Watering lawns is a waste of a valuable resource, the water.

Depends where in the world you live. Down here in NZ there's a drought
in the north, but plenty of water in my town. Not using it will just
lead to reservoirs overflowing out to the sea.

For me, not watering lawns is a waste of a valuable resource, the lawn!