Old 22-04-2010, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

Default Weeds on greens?

On Apr 21, 7:44*pm, Howard Brazee wrote:
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 06:56:53 -0700 (PDT), Dinosaur_Sr

wrote:
If you don't use treated water for your lawn in Chicago. IMHO watering
lawns is a waste anywhere...not that I wouldn't do it, mind you, but
it's a waste regardless. What is the point to growing some difficult
to keep monoculture of grass around your home?

Some might say that life or humans is a waste. * I suspect we all have
different criteria about what is waste and what is important.

Good point. The perspective I have here is that potable water is a
much more valuable resource to humans than we give it credit for.
JMHO, of course, but better to let a tree burn, and release CO2, than
to waste water putting out the fire.
Old 22-04-2010, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

On Apr 22, 1:19*am, Billy wrote:

wrote:

If you don't use treated water for your lawn in Chicago. IMHO watering
lawns is a waste anywhere...not that I wouldn't do it, mind you, but
it's a waste regardless. What is the point to growing some difficult
to keep monoculture of grass around your home?

Some might say that life or humans is a waste. * I suspect we all have
different criteria about what is waste and what is important.

What is waste and what is important for an individual, or a species?
What? Are you an Ayn Rander, into selfishness, and **** the world, or
are you a human being? The choices are becoming few.
--
- Billy

Humans, like other animal species, are inherently selfish. We will act
in self interest every time.

Old 23-04-2010, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:33:13 -0700, Dinosaur_Sr wrote:
On Apr 22, 1:19Â*am, Billy wrote:
wrote:

If you don't use treated water for your lawn in Chicago. IMHO
watering lawns is a waste anywhere...not that I wouldn't do it,
mind you, but it's a waste regardless. What is the point to growing
some difficult to keep monoculture of grass around your home?

Some might say that life or humans is a waste. Â* I suspect we all

Then we're ****ed.
Old 23-04-2010, 06:32 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

In article m,
Carbon wrote:

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:33:13 -0700, Dinosaur_Sr wrote:
On Apr 22, 1:19Â*am, Billy wrote:
wrote:

If you don't use treated water for your lawn in Chicago. IMHO
watering lawns is a waste anywhere...not that I wouldn't do it,
mind you, but it's a waste regardless. What is the point to growing
some difficult to keep monoculture of grass around your home?

Some might say that life or humans is a waste. Â* I suspect we all
have different criteria about what is waste and what is important.

What is waste and what is important for an individual, or a species?
What? Are you an Ayn Rander, into selfishness, and **** the world, or
are you a human being? The choices are becoming few. -- - Billy

Humans, like other animal species, are inherently selfish. We will act
in self interest every time.

Then we're ****ed.

No we aren't. Not everyone takes such a psychopathic narrow view of
their own self interest as An Rand, Milton Friedman, and the
neo-liberals (conservatives) do.

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Catholics,
and I didn’t speak up because I was a Protestant.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984), January 6, 1946

It is in our own self interest that human rights be upheld for everyone.
Presently, I have half a dozen phone calls a day from people who say
that they want to save me money, but we all know that if you snooze, you
lose. What kind of bull-shit is it that these sub-human predators are
allowed to hustle us under the banner of "free market"? This is where I
would start with the over-population problem, and follow it to Wall
Street.
Your Congresspeople might be good people (my Representative is), but it
is painfully obvious that both the RNC and the DNC are bought and paid
for by our ruling plutocrates.
--
- Billy
Old 23-04-2010, 08:47 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

Fred Williams wrote:
I've never seen weeds on greens, even on the
cheapest of golf courses.

I have seen weeds and moss on greens.

So does that mean
that the grass used for greens repels weeds
or is it because of the skills of green-keepers?

Yes, they use chemical treatment.

Plants are competing against each other. Each sort of plant has its own
optimal conditions as a combination of light, temperature, moisture and
minerals. Some plants like the same conditions as grass used for lawn.
And they survive daily cutting, because their leaves lay flat on the
ground. Here in Europe especially Daisy and Broad-leafed Plantain are
strong competitors - they lay their broad leaves over the grass covering
it, keeping away the light from the grass.

The reason I ask, is because I would like to
make part of my lawn suitable for putting on.

Would overseeding with green-type seed do,

No, new seeds have nearly no chance against the established plants.
Also, I doubt that the existing sort of grass is usable for a putting
green. You can try to cut it daily short, but it will get brown and die,
or it will loose competition against mosses (if moisty).

or
do I have to clear a patch down to the earth (no
big deal) and start afresh?

You need to exchange the soil 1-2 feet (30-60 cm) deep, seed a special
sort of grass, and maintain this area like a green-keeper.

For some medium quality you can try
- break up the soil 1-2 feet deep
- remove all roots of plants and all stones by sieving
- order some trucks of washed sand, mix the sand with the soil
- let the remaining weeds grow out for 1-2 weeks,
break up and sieve again
- form the surface of the green, it should be higher than the
surrounding area, and it should be falling down to let water
flow away.
- seed the grass, best time in Europe is May (warm and moisty)

Helmut Wollmersdorfer

Old 23-04-2010, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

On Apr 22, 9:55*pm, Carbon wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:33:13 -0700, Dinosaur_Sr wrote:
On Apr 22, 1:19*am, Billy wrote:
wrote:

If you don't use treated water for your lawn in Chicago. IMHO
watering lawns is a waste anywhere...not that I wouldn't do it,
mind you, but it's a waste regardless. What is the point to growing
some difficult to keep monoculture of grass around your home?

Some might say that life or humans is a waste. * I suspect we all
have different criteria about what is waste and what is important.

What is waste and what is important for an individual, or a species?
What? Are you an Ayn Rander, into selfishness, and **** the world, or
are you a human being? The choices are becoming few. -- - Billy

Humans, like other animal species, are inherently selfish. We will act
in self interest every time.

Then we're ****ed.

That's the idea. It's all about reproduction. Everything else is
secondary to that.
Old 23-04-2010, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

On Apr 24, 3:08*am, Dinosaur_Sr
wrote:
On Apr 22, 9:55*pm, Carbon wrote:

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 10:33:13 -0700, Dinosaur_Sr wrote:
On Apr 22, 1:19*am, Billy wrote:
wrote:

If you don't use treated water for your lawn in Chicago. IMHO
watering lawns is a waste anywhere...not that I wouldn't do it,
mind you, but it's a waste regardless. What is the point to growing
some difficult to keep monoculture of grass around your home?

Some might say that life or humans is a waste. * I suspect we all
have different criteria about what is waste and what is important.

What is waste and what is important for an individual, or a species?
What? Are you an Ayn Rander, into selfishness, and **** the world, or
are you a human being? The choices are becoming few. -- - Billy

Humans, like other animal species, are inherently selfish. We will act
in self interest every time.

Then we're ****ed.

That's the idea. It's all about reproduction. Everything else is
secondary to that.

Tiger obviously thinks so.
Old 25-04-2010, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

Weeds on the greens
Weeds on the greens
Lookin like a goattrack with weeds on the greens
Divots in the fairways
scooped out tee boxes, carts aren't clean
Call yourself a cool cat lookin like a fool
playin on a course with weeds on the greens!
hit the ball!

Old 25-04-2010, 06:46 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf
Doc Doc is offline

On Apr 22, 1:19*am, Billy wrote:

What? Are you anAynRander, into selfishness, and **** the world, or
are you a human being?

You're displaying a gross non-understanding of Rand's thoughts. While
it may require less effort on your part it's incorrect.
Old 26-04-2010, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 10:46:35 -0700, Doc wrote:
On Apr 22, 1:19Â*am, Billy wrote:

What? Are you anAynRander, into selfishness, and **** the world, or
are you a human being?

You're displaying a gross non-understanding of Rand's thoughts. While
it may require less effort on your part it's incorrect.

Rand was still wrong.

Old 26-04-2010, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

On Apr 22, 1:19*am, Billy wrote:

What? Are you anAynRander, into selfishness, and **** the world, or
are you a human being?

You're displaying a gross non-understanding of Rand's thoughts. While
it may require less effort on your part it's incorrect.

Rand was still wrong.

She is right...in every way! More or less!

What, for example is the common good? If everyone benefits, what are
the costs and how are they paid? Worst issue of all is who determines
what is the common good?
Old 26-04-2010, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

In article
,

On Apr 22, 1:19*am, Billy wrote:

What? Are you anAynRander, into selfishness, and **** the world, or
are you a human being?

You're displaying a gross non-understanding of Rand's thoughts. While
it may require less effort on your part it's incorrect.

Rand was still wrong.

She is right...in every way! More or less!

What, for example is the common good? If everyone benefits, what are
the costs and how are they paid? Worst issue of all is who determines
what is the common good?

Would it be a big inconvenience for you guys to keep this conversation
in rec.sport.golf? While a number of us have strong feelings about Ayn
Rand, Milton Friedman, and neo-liberalism, it is getting in the way of
our gardening. We'll look in from time to time to see how the brawl
works out;O)
--
- Billy
Old 26-04-2010, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf
Doc Doc is offline

On Apr 25, 8:38*pm, Billy wrote:

Would it be a big inconvenience for you guys to keep this conversation
in rec.sport.golf?

Says the guy who made the comment.

In other words you want to spew ignorant rhetoric unchallenged.