Old 20-04-2010, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

Default Weeds on greens?

"JohnO" wrote in message
On Apr 20, 11:27 am, BAR wrote:
In article ,
says...

Dinosaur_Sr wrote:

Had a neighbour who used a company called chemlawn to keep his lawn.
Beautiful green lawn. Sold the house and the new owner didn't keep up
the chemlawn. Totally dead lawn within a year, and needed to resod.

He probably didn't water it either.

Watering lawns is a waste of a valuable resource, the water.

Depends where in the world you live. Down here in NZ there's a drought
in the north, but plenty of water in my town. Not using it will just
lead to reservoirs overflowing out to the sea.

For me, not watering lawns is a waste of a valuable resource, the lawn!

################################################## #####

and by keeping your surroundings green, the danger of fire is lowered.
Nothing like dry and/or dead grass and brush around ones home and
then some careless smoker or just a small spark from somewhere.
This happens all the time. I'll stick with watering. Turf grass? Nay.
But green enough.

Donna
in WA

Old 21-04-2010, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 19:27:49 -0400, BAR wrote this
crap:

In article ,
says...

Dinosaur_Sr wrote:

Had a neighbour who used a company called chemlawn to keep his lawn.
Beautiful green lawn. Sold the house and the new owner didn't keep up
the chemlawn. Totally dead lawn within a year, and needed to resod.

He probably didn't water it either.

Watering lawns is a waste of a valuable resource, the water.

Where I live, water is cheap and plentiful.

Vote for Palin-Brown in 2012. Repeal the nightmare.

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."
Old 21-04-2010, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:12:20 -0700, "Lelandite" wrote
this crap:

Watering lawns is a waste of a valuable resource, the water.

and by keeping your surroundings green, the danger of fire is lowered.
Nothing like dry and/or dead grass and brush around ones home and
then some careless smoker or just a small spark from somewhere.

Not to mention that a well watered lawn removes carbon dioxide from
the air and returns oxygen.

Old 21-04-2010, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

On Apr 20, 2:14*pm, "Fred K. Gringioni"
wrote:
"BAR" wrote in message

. ..

In article ,
says...

Dinosaur_Sr wrote:

Had a neighbour who used a company called chemlawn to keep his lawn.
Beautiful green lawn. Sold the house and the new owner didn't keep up
the chemlawn. Totally dead lawn within a year, and needed to resod.

He probably didn't water it either.

Watering lawns is a waste of a valuable resource, the water.

Depends upon the location of the lawn.

Vegas, yes. Chicago, no.

If you don't use treated water for your lawn in Chicago. IMHO watering
lawns is a waste anywhere...not that I wouldn't do it, mind you, but
it's a waste regardless. What is the point to growing some difficult
to keep monoculture of grass around your home?
Old 21-04-2010, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

In article
,
Dinosaur_Sr wrote:

On Apr 20, 2:14*pm, "Fred K. Gringioni"
wrote:
"BAR" wrote in message

. ..

In article ,
says...

Dinosaur_Sr wrote:

Had a neighbour who used a company called chemlawn to keep his lawn.
Beautiful green lawn. Sold the house and the new owner didn't keep up
the chemlawn. Totally dead lawn within a year, and needed to resod.

He probably didn't water it either.

Watering lawns is a waste of a valuable resource, the water.

Depends upon the location of the lawn.

Vegas, yes. Chicago, no.

If you don't use treated water for your lawn in Chicago. IMHO watering
lawns is a waste anywhere...not that I wouldn't do it, mind you, but
it's a waste regardless. What is the point to growing some difficult
to keep monoculture of grass around your home?

Our love of tidy but not very diverse yards is
imprinted on us by our culture. The immaculate
lawn, under siege from ecological writers every-
where, developed in the mild and evenly moist
climate of Great Britain. Its implications are deeply
woven into our psyche. A lawn in preindustrial
times trumpeted to all that the owner possessed
enough wealth to use some land for sheer orna-
ment, instead of planting all of it to food crops.
And close-mowed grass proclaimed affluence, too:

a herd of sheep large enough to crop the lawn
uniformly short. These indicators of status whis-
per to us down the centuries. By consciously recog-
nizing the influence of this history, we can free
ourselves of it and let go of the reflexive impulse to
roll sod over the entire landscape.

Our addiction to impeccable lawns and soldier
rows of vegetables and flowers is counter to the
tendency of nature and guarantees us constant
work."
---
Gaia's Garden, Second Edition: A Guide To Home-Scale Permaculture
(Paperback)
by Toby Hemenway
http://www.amazon.com/Gaias-Garden-S...ulture/dp/1603
580298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271266976&sr=1-1
--
- Billy
Old 21-04-2010, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article
,
Dinosaur_Sr wrote:

On Apr 20, 2:14 pm, "Fred K. Gringioni"
wrote:
"BAR" wrote in message

. ..

In article ,
says...
Dinosaur_Sr wrote:
[...]

Yes!!! At least sheep provided manure as the chomped. I have
fantasies of having living lawn mowers (but, even better) no need
to please anyone with my, um, lawn.

--
Jean B.
Old 21-04-2010, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "Jean B."
wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article
,
Dinosaur_Sr wrote:

On Apr 20, 2:14 pm, "Fred K. Gringioni"
wrote:
"BAR" wrote in message

. ..

In article ,
says...
Dinosaur_Sr wrote:
[...]

Goats taught the Greeks about the importance of pruning grapevines. At
least the "pasture" will serve a function , and not just be bourgeois
bling.
--
- Billy
Old 22-04-2010, 12:44 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 06:56:53 -0700 (PDT), Dinosaur_Sr
wrote:

If you don't use treated water for your lawn in Chicago. IMHO watering
lawns is a waste anywhere...not that I wouldn't do it, mind you, but
it's a waste regardless. What is the point to growing some difficult
to keep monoculture of grass around your home?

Some might say that life or humans is a waste. I suspect we all have
different criteria about what is waste and what is important.

- James Madison

Old 22-04-2010, 06:19 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

wrote:

If you don't use treated water for your lawn in Chicago. IMHO watering
lawns is a waste anywhere...not that I wouldn't do it, mind you, but
it's a waste regardless. What is the point to growing some difficult
to keep monoculture of grass around your home?

Some might say that life or humans is a waste. I suspect we all have
different criteria about what is waste and what is important.

What is waste and what is important for an individual, or a species?
What? Are you an Ayn Rander, into selfishness, and **** the world, or
are you a human being? The choices are becoming few.
--
- Billy
Old 22-04-2010, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.sport.golf

In article ,
BAR wrote:

In article wildbilly-B2D3A4.22211921042010@c-61-68-245-
199.per.connect.net.au, says...

In article ,
BAR wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote:

If you don't use treated water for your lawn in Chicago. IMHO watering
lawns is a waste anywhere...not that I wouldn't do it, mind you, but
it's a waste regardless. What is the point to growing some difficult
to keep monoculture of grass around your home?

Some might say that life or humans is a waste. I suspect we all have
different criteria about what is waste and what is important.

Species come and species go, none seem to last forever. It is the
arrogance of man that thinks all is for him and must be here for
eternity.

So say the pundits. Easy come, easy go. How does that work for you? I
mean YOU.

Nice try. Let's keep it to the Earth's evolution and the species that
have inhabited the Earth. If you want to talk about intra-species habits
I sure you can find a group that will play that game.

The sound of one hand clapping.
--
- Billy