Old 19-05-2010, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Garden Trek III: The search for Shat

(my apologies for the title - I'm a Trekkie. Just bought a Spock
shirt, in fact)

Anyway, today I called numerous places, and visited several large
stores and garden centers in search for "Composted Cow Manure".

In the past, I've been able to find this stuff everywhere in the
Spring. Even small hardware stores had bags of it outside the store for
adding to the garden soil.

Now, they all seem to have bags of "topsoil" instead, or maybe a bag
of humus. The small garden center where I stopped this afternoon said
they had 40 pound bags of (and I quote) "hummus". Now I like hummus,
but usually on crackers, and not as a soil amendment. I'm assuming that
guy doesn't put this on his crackers, hopefully.

Anyway, I tried Kroger's, Mal-Mart, hardware stores, and none of them
had plain old 100% composted cow manure. Mal-Mart did have "compost
WITH cow manure", but I wanted the nutrient rich cow manure compost that
I'm used to putting under trees, shrubs and vegetable plants when I put
them in the ground. I'm a crotchety young gardener who is used to doing
things about the same way as I was taught when I was 3, and I'm
wondering where the poop went.

Is there a national shortage of poop that I'm not aware of? A poop
embargo of some foreign country that gives us more crap than anybody else?

Ah, if only I had this guy nearby.....
http://www.artpricer.info/wp-content...phant-poop.jpg
Old 19-05-2010, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ohioguy wrote:
[...]

When planting trees and bushes and tomato plants, you can always put a
shovelful of the ever-present dog shit into the hole, then cover it up
a bit before you set the plant.

Bob
Old 19-05-2010, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ohioguy wrote:
[...]

I am curious as to what part of the country you live in, and wondering
if it may be a "local" shortage there. I live in SW lower Michigan, and
every home center, garden center and supermarket around here has all the
40 lb. bags of cow manure in stock you could want - and ironically, at a
lower price than I've seen it in the past! But that's not helping you
so I'd say the following:

1) Keep looking! It may turn up somewhere.

2) The "humus" is likely Scott's bagged "Humus and Manure" - also
relatively inexpensive, and the closest thing to bagged composted cow
manure I've seen. IMO, it's you're next best bet.

3) Unlike the previous respondent "Bob", I do not recommend the use of
dog or cat manure in your garden. I have read for years - and just again
recently - that they are the two types of domestic manure not
recommended for any garden use, though I admit I can't point you to any
specific articles on that topic off the top of my head.

I sympathize - composted cow manure is a favorite of mine, too. Good
luck in the search, though.

Tony
Old 19-05-2010, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Tony wrote:

Ohioguy wrote:
[...]

Not to worry Amazon will sell you 40 Lb of shit for $4 shipping is
about $12 extra.

Its a stranger world after all springs to mind.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Old 19-05-2010, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Ohioguy wrote:
[...]

Never use cat, dog, or pig manure in vegetable gardens or compost piles.
Parasites that may be in these types of manure are more likely to
survive and infect people than those in other types of manure. It is
also important to keep your pets out of your vegetable garden.
http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/2510.htm
--
- Billy

Old 20-05-2010, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Is there a national shortage of poop that I'm not aware of? A poop
embargo of some foreign country that gives us more crap than anybody
else?

In places that have cattle on pasture and dung beetles availability of
manure is seasonal. In the summer the beetles will destroy each pat in an
matter of days and so picking them up is difficult and hardly worth the
trouble. Turd harvesting is therefore restricted to the winter. I have no
idea if you have dung beetles in your area. In areas where cattle are in
feedlots this would not apply.

David

Old 20-05-2010, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ohioguy wrote:

Is there a national shortage of poop that I'm not aware of? A poop
embargo of some foreign country that gives us more crap than anybody else?

It's very possible that the sale has been prohibited due to the danger
of BSE (mad cow disease.) Do you have any dairy or cattle farms nearby?

gloria p
Old 20-05-2010, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"gloria.p" wrote:

Ohioguy wrote:

Is there a national shortage of poop that I'm not aware of? A poop
embargo of some foreign country that gives us more crap than anybody else?

It's very possible that the sale has been prohibited due to the danger
of BSE (mad cow disease.) Do you have any dairy or cattle farms nearby?

gloria p

Why does it have to be cow? Check with local landscape suppliers and
they will probably have something that will work for you.

How common manures measure up
Manure Chicken Diary cow Horse Steer Rabbit Sheep
N 1.1 .257 .70 .70 2.4 .70
P .80 .15 .30 .30 1.4 .30
K .50 .25 .60 .40 .60 .90

How common manures measure up
Manure Alfalfa Fish Emulsion
N 3 5
P 1 1
K 2 1
--
- Billy
Old 20-05-2010, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Never use cat, dog, or pig manure in vegetable gardens or
compost piles.
Parasites that may be in these types of manure are more
likely to
survive and infect people than those in other types of
manure. It is
also important to keep your pets out of your vegetable
garden.
http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/2510.htm
--
- Billy
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism
because it is the

any manure from an animal that eats meat or will eat meat
(including humans)
can and has kept the e-coli bacteria cycle active. So, no,
never use this type
of "manure" on your garden(s). Natural grass eater (cow,
horses, etc)
should never be fed any type of animal by-product as it,
too, can and has
transferred e-coli. Slaughter houses where making extra $$
at our health
expense. I do have concerns seeing cow manure mixed with
water and then
used to fertilize fields. These same fields are utilized as
pasture or for
making hay bales. So back into the cow it goes.

And e-coli is another reason why everyone should wash their
raw vegtables
bought from a chain store, such as strawberries, lettuce.
It's not hard to
figure out why.

I'm very grateful that I live in a small enough town that
uses not use recycle
human waste. The larger municipal's state that their water
meets EPA
guidelines for drinking water. Guidelines are not good
enough for me.
They can make all the claims they want regardings recycling
human waste
products and it's safety, but, nope, I aint a gonna drink
it.

Donna
in WA zone 8-9

Old 20-05-2010, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Lelandite wrote:

[...]

You do realize that position is not sustainable? All water is
recycled waste by now. The same water gets used over and over again
countless times. Cow manure has been fertilizing grazing fields for eons.

Bob

Old 20-05-2010, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Lelandite wrote:

[...]

Most species of E. coli are harmless and serve to crowd out pathogens in
our intestines. O157:H7 E. coli is a different matter. It arose from
feed lot operations (CAFO), and has been responsible for a number of
deaths from spinach to undercooked hamburgers. The presence of E. coli
indicates fecal contamination.

Old 21-05-2010, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Lelandite wrote:

Never use cat, dog, or pig manure in vegetable gardens
or compost piles.
Parasites that may be in these types of manure are
more likely to
survive and infect people than those in other types of
manure. It is
also important to keep your pets out of your vegetable
garden.
http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/2510.htm
--
- Billy
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism
because it is the
merger of state and corporate power." - Benito
Mussolini.

[...]

tell that to the snow-capped mountains. And don't even
go
to evaporation. There is newness.

countless times. Cow manure has been fertilizing grazing
fields for eons.

Grew up on a farm. And you're right, cow manure usually
stayed where it was plopped. But back in those days,
farmers
did not fertilize their fields with water and manure. It
just
didn't make common sense then. I still say it doesn't.

Just one of the things people will disagree about
depending on
where they were raised and how life was during that time
period. I do know that kids never died from e-coli back
then.
Farmers seemed to just know that feeding any type of meat
by-product to grass eater just didn't make sense.

Donna

Bob

Old 21-05-2010, 02:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

I am curious as to what part of the country you live in, and wondering
if it may be a "local" shortage there.

I'm in SW Ohio. As I said, 10 years ago, all the big stores and
hardware stores had bags of composted cow manure this time of year.
Right now, I only found one small garden center that carried it, but had
sold out, and Meijer, where I ended up getting bags for $1.19 each.

All the other places only had bags of topsoil, humus, "humus with
composted cow manure" (but didn't tell how much of each), and mulch.

Old 21-05-2010, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Ohioguy wrote:
I am curious as to what part of the country you live in, and
wondering if it may be a "local" shortage there.

I'm in SW Ohio. As I said, 10 years ago, all the big stores and
hardware stores had bags of composted cow manure this time of year.
Right now, I only found one small garden center that carried it, but had
sold out, and Meijer, where I ended up getting bags for $1.19 each.

All the other places only had bags of topsoil, humus, "humus with
composted cow manure" (but didn't tell how much of each), and mulch.

Maybe that's what it was all along and they got in trouble for
mislabeling it.

Bib
Old 21-05-2010, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Lelandite" wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Lelandite wrote:

[...]

I have a feeling that nature can all by itself can create new deadly
diseases. Not all new deadly diseases are man made. However, with bad
human habits the human race can speedup natures wrath.

Hmmm... I sometimes wonder about the ways farmers use to do things.

I wonder if the old way were truly sustainable. The way the worlds
population grows, was it not easier just to keep planting and taking
without extensive fertilization. When the land gets exhausted, sell the
land to a home developer and by new untapped land for farm use. Then
repeat the process? This has been going on for thousands of years.

Now that all the land on this planet is accounted for by overpopulation.
Can any land be truly self sustaining? I am always buying extra:
compost, lime and organic fertilizers for the land. I often Rob Peter to
pay Paul! I save my grass clippings and straw for the compost piles to
feed my vegetable gardens. When the grass suffers, I buy fertilizers for
the lawn. I have my doubts about the human race being truly self
sustaining.

As for the water supply, I do believe that the water you drank today may
have come from some dinosaurs ****. But the human race with their new
products are binding up lots of water in man made products that will
never be recycled back into the water supply.

Doom and Gloom... Dan

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.

[IMG] code is On

Street shots on my daily trek to the gym joevan[_3_] Garden Photos 34 09-08-2009 08:32 PM
Rebel III Grass? Tony Miklos Lawns 13 27-03-2006 05:58 AM
Damned Snakes III Revenge of the snakes! Gareee© Ponds 1 09-06-2005 06:14 PM
plant ID III The Cook Edible Gardening 1 13-12-2004 05:39 PM
TOBS-Genesis: Creative day III ;;There be Plants here! Jabriol Plant Biology 7 07-09-2003 04:12 AM