Old 03-06-2010, 04:43 PM posted to misc.rural,rec.gardens

Default ID this type of farm BRIDGE, please

FarmI wrote:

It looks like loveey countryside. I wish we had grass that long.

Where are you from?
Old 08-06-2010, 10:10 AM posted to misc.rural,rec.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message

Since we are discussing water, how did your summer go water-wise?

OK - not brilliant but enough although it was a bit touch and go at times.
Not a lot of pasture growth but we didn't have to buy in feed and there was
enough water for the cattle to drink on both farms. We were getting a bit
worried about having to sell all the cattle on our other farm as we were
getting low on water there and the creek dried up. Luckily the dams stayed
full enough till we got decent rain.

Luckily for us and all the other farmers round here there was good Autumn
rain over much of the country and especially out west where they'll have
feed for the next 18 months on the strength of the Autumn rains. The annual
Autumn calf sales resulted in a bumper sale all round. It's been years
since we've had such good prices.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:13 AM posted to misc.rural,rec.gardens

"Tony" wrote in message

One would surely power the pump. The narrow width could be again because
it is a used bridge. The trusses were used but they put it together again
narrower than original. It didn't need to fit a tractor, no tractor was
going to squeeze past the pump anyway.

:-)) Yebbut, did it always have that motor? Can you win the kewpie and
answer?

Old 08-06-2010, 10:13 AM posted to misc.rural,rec.gardens

"Tony" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:

It looks like loveey countryside. I wish we had grass that long.

Where are you from?

SE NSW Aus.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:51 AM posted to misc.rural,rec.gardens

"Ann" wrote in message

Since we are discussing water, how did your summer go water-wise?

OK - not brilliant but enough although it was a bit touch and go at times.
Not a lot of pasture growth but we didn't have to buy in feed and there
was enough water for the cattle to drink on both farms. We were getting a
bit worried about having to sell all the cattle on our other farm as we
were getting low on water there and the creek dried up. Luckily the dams
stayed full enough till we got decent rain.

Luckily for us and all the other farmers round here there was good Autumn
rain over much of the country and especially out west where they'll have
feed for the next 18 months on the strength of the Autumn rains. The
annual Autumn calf sales resulted in a bumper sale all round. It's been
years since we've had such good prices.

a mighty strange summer & autumn here across the ditch in the (usually well
watered) Waikato. From late January through to early May stuff all rain.
Maybe a few mm dribbled out from the sky. The second summer drought in 3
years. A severe soil moisture deficit. The last 3 plus weeks however the
heavens have opened and the moisture deficit is well and truely gone. But,
with winter just around the corner and coinciding with the rain, field
mushrooms have sprung up around the place. We normally get them in about
late march and into Autumn. I picked some off the back lawn the weekend just
gone. Nothing queerer than weather, not even folk.

rob

Old 08-06-2010, 01:02 PM posted to misc.rural,rec.gardens

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 19:10:47 +1000, FarmI wrote:

"Ann" wrote in message

Since we are discussing water, how did your summer go water-wise?

OK - not brilliant but enough although it was a bit touch and go at
times. Not a lot of pasture growth but we didn't have to buy in feed and
there was enough water for the cattle to drink on both farms. We were
getting a bit worried about having to sell all the cattle on our other
farm as we were getting low on water there and the creek dried up.
Luckily the dams stayed full enough till we got decent rain.

Luckily for us and all the other farmers round here there was good
Autumn rain over much of the country and especially out west where
they'll have feed for the next 18 months on the strength of the Autumn
rains. The annual Autumn calf sales resulted in a bumper sale all
round. It's been years since we've had such good prices.

That's good news. It's traditionally dry here in August. Way back when,
the well at my grandparent's house would usually dry up, so they'd bring
water down from the better well at the barn in milk cans. Good example
of keeping ones priorities straight.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:40 AM posted to misc.rural,rec.gardens

"George" wrote in message
a mighty strange summer & autumn here across the ditch in the (usually
well watered) Waikato. From late January through to early May stuff all
rain.

That's a long stretch without rain for 'usually well watered'.

Maybe a few mm dribbled out from the sky. The second summer drought in 3
years. A severe soil moisture deficit. The last 3 plus weeks however the
heavens have opened and the moisture deficit is well and truely gone. But,
with winter just around the corner and coinciding with the rain, field
mushrooms have sprung up around the place. We normally get them in about
late march and into Autumn. I picked some off the back lawn the weekend
just gone. Nothing queerer than weather, not even folk.

Well weather patterns certainly have turned queer, but then so have people
when it comes to ignoring changing patterns :-))

Lets hope next summer and Autumn are better.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:13 PM posted to misc.rural,rec.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message

One would surely power the pump. The narrow width could be again because
it is a used bridge. The trusses were used but they put it together again
narrower than original. It didn't need to fit a tractor, no tractor was
going to squeeze past the pump anyway.

:-)) Yebbut, did it always have that motor? Can you win the kewpie and
answer?

I would guess the motor was added after it was moved and put together
narrower than it was originally. Before being moved it was wider to
handle vehicle traffic, and again, it had no motor/pump in it's first life.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:42 PM posted to misc.rural,rec.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
It looks like loveey countryside. I wish we had grass that long.

Where are you from?

SE NSW Aus.

Is that Australia or Austria? My Mothers parents came over here from
Austria.
Tony

Old 11-06-2010, 08:22 AM posted to misc.rural,rec.gardens

"Tony" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Tony" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
It looks like loveey countryside. I wish we had grass that long.

Where are you from?

SE NSW Aus.

Is that Australia or Austria? My Mothers parents came over here from
Austria.

Australia, but then I've met Americans who didn't know there was a
difference. The NSW was a clue.

[IMG] code is On

The Bridge to NoWhere (Bridge over the creek) BillyBoy Ponds (alternative) 0 01-02-2004 07:36 AM
Walking bridge Sam Hopkins Ponds 22 21-07-2003 05:42 PM
decorative Bridge question Larry D. Gibbs Ponds 4 08-07-2003 06:11 PM
Bridge Serenity United Kingdom 15 13-06-2003 06:44 PM
How do I construct a land bridge? Ted Ponds 0 17-03-2003 07:08 PM