Old 27-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Registered User

Default Japanese knotweed

I'm trying to obtain some Japanese knotweed. I'd need a cutting of the rhizomes. Does anyone know where I may be able to obtain this plant? I live near Cambridge and would like to pick up some locally.
Thanks
Old 27-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy19 View Post
I'm trying to obtain some Japanese knotweed. I'd need a cutting of the rhizomes. Does anyone know where I may be able to obtain this plant? I live near Cambridge and would like to pick up some locally.
Thanks
You do know that it is actually illegal to plant this stuff?
Old 27-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owdboggy View Post
You do know that it is actually illegal to plant this stuff?
Yes. I don't want to plant it. I want to use it for a chemistry experiment.
Thanks
Old 27-09-2010, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message , kathy19
writes

I'm trying to obtain some Japanese knotweed. I'd need a cutting of the
rhizomes. Does anyone know where I may be able to obtain this plant? I
live near Cambridge and would like to pick up some locally.
Thanks

Japanese knotweed (Fallopia japonica) is one of the more problematical
invasive plants in the UK, and "it is an offence to plant, or otherwise
cause to grow, the species in the wild". Soil containing its rhizomes is
also considered "controlled waste", and must be disposed in restricted
fashion.

Because of this is it rarely available for sale.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 28-09-2010, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 27, 12:41*pm, Owdboggy
wrote:
kathy19;901417 Wrote:

I'm trying to obtain some Japanese knotweed. I'd need a cutting of the
rhizomes. Does anyone know where I may be able to obtain this plant? I
live near Cambridge and would like to pick up some locally.
Thanks

You do know that it is actually illegal to plant this stuff?

--
Owdboggy

If it is that pervasive, it should be easy to find a wild plant and
take whatever you want from it.

Chris

Old 28-09-2010, 07:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

In message
,
Chris writes
On Sep 27, 12:41*pm, Owdboggy
wrote:
kathy19;901417 Wrote:

I'm trying to obtain some Japanese knotweed. I'd need a cutting of the
rhizomes. Does anyone know where I may be able to obtain this plant? I
live near Cambridge and would like to pick up some locally.
Thanks

You do know that it is actually illegal to plant this stuff?

--
Owdboggy

If it is that pervasive, it should be easy to find a wild plant and
take whatever you want from it.

Chris

It is also illegal to dig it up plants without the consent of the
landowner. So you not only have to find a wild plant (you have to find
the landowner as well). In the case of Fallopia japonica you also have
to avoid spreading the plant around in the process.

Also, it is relatively scarce in the Cambridge region, compared to the
rest of the country.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

[IMG] code is On

japanese knotweed gntry Gardening 13 28-07-2004 03:02 PM
Japanese bamboo knotweed Tim923 Plant Science 9 24-07-2004 10:50 AM
Japanese knotweed pics Tim923 Gardening 5 10-07-2004 12:02 AM
Japanese Knotweed (BBC1, Countryfile today) al Gardening 3 02-09-2003 01:02 AM
Japanese Knotweed Janice United Kingdom 1 19-07-2003 12:23 AM