Old 17-12-2011, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Wonder what this weed is?

Comes in on ivy banks and even grass. Don't know what it is.

http://i39.tinypic.com/o54aa1.jpg
Old 17-12-2011, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank wrote:
Comes in on ivy banks and even grass. Don't know what it is.

http://i39.tinypic.com/o54aa1.jpg

Where is it? I see a grassy bank. We need a close-up of the whole plant and
preferably also of any seed or flower heads. Your location in the world
would help too.

David

Old 17-12-2011, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank wrote:
Comes in on ivy banks and even grass. Don't know what it is.

http://i39.tinypic.com/o54aa1.jpg

Where is it? I see a grassy bank. We need a close-up of the whole plant
and preferably also of any seed or flower heads. Your location in the
world would help too.

David

Northern Delaware USA. About a foot tall.
I was just messing with the tinypic site and having loaded picture,
thought I might as well post here and ask question.

I've been trying to eradicate it and may concentrate on it next summer.
Had been working on ivy for the bank for years but discovered that deer
eat it but not this weed. It completely covers my neighbors back yard
and he cuts it like grass. I think my pre-emergent for crabgrass keeps
it down but not completely and broadleaf herbicide does not touch it.
Old 18-12-2011, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/17/2011 2:41 PM, Frank wrote:

Comes in on ivy banks and even grass. Don't know what it is.

http://i39.tinypic.com/o54aa1.jpg

I don't get any picture with that link at all; just a plain white page,
no error message?

Old 18-12-2011, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/18/2011 4:25 PM, Nelly W wrote:
On 12/17/2011 2:41 PM, Frank wrote:

Comes in on ivy banks and even grass. Don't know what it is.

http://i39.tinypic.com/o54aa1.jpg

I don't get any picture with that link at all; just a plain white page,
no error message?

Still works for me. 1st time trying the tinypic.

Old 19-12-2011, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/18/2011 6:00 PM, Frank wrote:
On 12/18/2011 4:25 PM, Nelly W wrote:
On 12/17/2011 2:41 PM, Frank wrote:

Comes in on ivy banks and even grass. Don't know what it is.

http://i39.tinypic.com/o54aa1.jpg

I don't get any picture with that link at all; just a plain white page,
no error message?

Still works for me. 1st time trying the tinypic.

I use IE8 & have Kaspersky IS; there have been times I've wondered the
latter is doing its job a bit too well....
Old 19-12-2011, 12:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank said:

Comes in on ivy banks and even grass. Don't know what it is.

http://i39.tinypic.com/o54aa1.jpg

Can't tell too much from the picture, but here is an aggressive,
invasive grass that you'd want to hope it isn't (but it could be):

Japanese Stilt Grass
http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/fact/japanstgrass.htm

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 19-12-2011, 01:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/19/2011 7:52 AM, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Frank said:

Comes in on ivy banks and even grass. Don't know what it is.

http://i39.tinypic.com/o54aa1.jpg

Can't tell too much from the picture, but here is an aggressive,
invasive grass that you'd want to hope it isn't (but it could be):

Japanese Stilt Grass
http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/fact/japanstgrass.htm

Thanks. That has to be it as rest of description at site fits.
Looks like physical control (pulling) is only real option I have as
glyphosphate would harm grass or surrounding ground cover. As neighbors
on three sides in back do nothing to control it, they would be seed
source even if all mine was removed.

For years, I thought it was shading out ivy from growing on banks until
I discovered deer were the problem.

Frank
Old 19-12-2011, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 18, 7:48*pm, Nelly W wrote:
On 12/18/2011 6:00 PM, Frank wrote:

On 12/18/2011 4:25 PM, Nelly W wrote:
On 12/17/2011 2:41 PM, Frank wrote:

Comes in on ivy banks and even grass. Don't know what it is.

http://i39.tinypic.com/o54aa1.jpg

I don't get any picture with that link at all; just a plain white page,
no error message?

Still works for me. 1st time trying the tinypic.

I use IE8 & have Kaspersky IS; there have been times I've wondered the
latter is doing its job a bit too well....

I'm on a client machine with IE8 right now and am refused access to
the picture by the company.
Will have to check on my machine.
Old 19-12-2011, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank said:

Comes in on ivy banks and even grass. *Don't know what it is.

http://i39.tinypic.com/o54aa1.jpg

Can't tell too much from the picture, but here is an aggressive,
invasive grass that you'd want to hope it isn't (but it could be):

Japanese Stilt Grass
http://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/fact/japanstgrass.htm

Thanks. *That has to be it as rest of description at site fits.
Looks like physical control (pulling) is only real option I have as
glyphosphate would harm grass or surrounding ground cover. *As neighbors
on three sides in back do nothing to control it, they would be seed
source even if all mine was removed.

For years, I thought it was shading out ivy from growing on banks until
I discovered deer were the problem.

Frank

See I repeated myself about the deer. Deer season is all I think
about in the fall and wife won't let me touch those that invade us.-

Knowing what this stuff is now, I may vary my premerg campaign in the
back yard to weed and feed instead of premerg in the spring.
Crabgrass is not as much a threat in the back as in the front.

Old 20-12-2011, 12:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank said:

See I repeated myself about the deer. Deer season is all I think
about in the fall and wife won't let me touch those that invade us.-

Too bad, that. Venison, properly handled, is very good eating, and
close to home would be so convenient...

Part of what makes some of these alien plants so invasive is that the deer
pass them up to browse the natives.

Old 20-12-2011, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 20, 7:55*am, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Frank said:

See I repeated myself about the deer. *Deer season is all I think
about in the fall and wife won't let me touch those that invade us.-

Too bad, that. Venison, properly handled, is very good eating, and
close to home would be so convenient...

Part of what makes some of these alien plants so invasive is that the deer
pass them up to browse the natives.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Right now, I've got two small venisons in the freezer but could use
more

Interesting point about alien plants. I spoke to one of the states
chief game wardens the other day and he mentioned that getting
invasive fragamites (sic) out of the marshes gets the deer to dine
more on native vegetation in the marsh and avoid the fields and dry
lands where the hunters are.
Old 20-12-2011, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message
,
Frank writes
fragamites (sic)

Phragmites?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phragmites
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-12-2011, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 20, 1:20*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
,
Frank writes

fragamites (sic)

Phragmites?

* * *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phragmites
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Yes, thanks, I do not have a spell checker on this computer.

I had a hunting day in a marsh last week and encountered a wall of
phragmites on my way to the deer stand. The refuge had not been able
to complete the path to the stand because of water and I had to walk
about 100 yards in about 6 inches of water to get to the stand. The
phragmites were about 8 ft tall. In the stand, past the phragmites,
the marsh grass was only 1-2 feet tall and I could see for over a
mile. No deer but I did see a fox a couple of hundred yards away.