Old 21-04-2012, 05:00 PM posted to alt.native,rec.gardens,misc.rural

Default Guess Who I Saw Today

A regular bee. Yep, it was an Eyetalian goombah honeybee singing O Sole
Mio while scarfing down nectar from a Russian olive tree. This was the 1st
regular bee I've seen in years.

Ironically, there were no bumbles. Normally, Russian olives are loaded
with bumbles. Come to think of it, haven't seen many bumbles at all this
yr. Maybe they're succumbing to the die back that has wasted the regular
bees.

Geez, I can remember when regular bees were ubiquitous, but that's another
story.
Old 21-04-2012, 06:30 PM posted to alt.native,rec.gardens,misc.rural

On Apr 21, 9:00*am, Way Back Jack wrote:
A regular bee. *Yep, it was an Eyetalian goombah honeybee singing O Sole
Mio while scarfing down nectar from a Russian olive tree. *This was the 1st
regular bee I've seen in years.

Ironically, there were no bumbles. *Normally, Russian olives are loaded
with bumbles. *Come to think of it, haven't seen many bumbles at all this
yr. *Maybe they're succumbing to the die back that has wasted the regular
bees.

Geez, I can remember when regular bees were ubiquitous, but that's another
story.

Yes, it is "another story". A story told by the unbridled,
insufficiently regulated GREED of agribusiness which slams massive
amounts of dangerous chemicals into the exhausted soil, pleading for
relief (OK, a little melodramatic, but only a little!) so as to put on
our tables food that has traveled up to 3000 miles to reach us. Food
containing just a soupcon of arsenic, lead, and a whole bunch of other
yummies. While the bought&sold whores in Congress take their payoffs
to avoid regulating and/or enforcing existing laws. And the FDA makes
feeble noises about doing its job (see above whores).

HB
Old 21-04-2012, 07:51 PM posted to alt.native,rec.gardens,misc.rural

On 4/21/12 9:00 AM, Way Back Jack wrote:
A regular bee. Yep, it was an Eyetalian goombah honeybee singing O Sole
Mio while scarfing down nectar from a Russian olive tree. This was the 1st
regular bee I've seen in years.

Ironically, there were no bumbles. Normally, Russian olives are loaded
with bumbles. Come to think of it, haven't seen many bumbles at all this
yr. Maybe they're succumbing to the die back that has wasted the regular
bees.

Geez, I can remember when regular bees were ubiquitous, but that's another
story.

I see honey bees, bumble bees, and wood bees all the time. (The latter
are the size of bumble bees but all black. They are solitary bees -- no
hive -- that tunnel into dead branch stubs on trees and into the ends of
house beams to lay eggs in packets of pollen and nectar.)

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
Old 21-04-2012, 10:14 PM posted to alt.native,rec.gardens,misc.rural

On Apr 21, 2:51*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
[...]

The only "honey" bees I hear about today are the Africanized version.
You also use the term "wood" bees. I assume that you're referring to
carpenter bees which drill holes into my outdoor wood beams to set up
their nests, consisting of mama, papa, and offspring. A little shot
of Drione dust into the hole they drill takes care of them.
Old 22-04-2012, 01:53 PM posted to alt.native,rec.gardens,misc.rural

Way Back Jack wrote:
A regular bee. Yep, it was an Eyetalian goombah honeybee singing O Sole
Mio while scarfing down nectar from a Russian olive tree. This was the 1st
regular bee I've seen in years.

Ironically, there were no bumbles. Normally, Russian olives are loaded
with bumbles. Come to think of it, haven't seen many bumbles at all this
yr. Maybe they're succumbing to the die back that has wasted the regular
bees.

Geez, I can remember when regular bees were ubiquitous, but that's another
story.

how about i send you a hive of bees from here, they only sting if you
get close, 10ft, and if your not allergic you won't even have to worry
about dieing! these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKUUziEgy1s they are
not scarce at all nor are the tame variety either!

Old 23-04-2012, 03:42 AM posted to alt.native,rec.gardens,misc.rural

On Apr 22, 8:30*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,

*spiritrising wrote:
Way Back Jack wrote:
A regular bee. *Yep, it was an Eyetalian goombah honeybee singing O Sole
Mio while scarfing down nectar from a Russian olive tree. *This was the 1st
regular bee I've seen in years.

Ironically, there were no bumbles. *Normally, Russian olives are loaded
with bumbles. *Come to think of it, haven't seen many bumbles at all this
yr. *Maybe they're succumbing to the die back that has wasted the regular
bees.

Geez, I can remember when regular bees were ubiquitous, but that's another
story.

how about i send you a hive of bees from here, they only sting if you
get close, 10ft, and if your not allergic you won't even have to worry
about dieing! thesehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKUUziEgy1sthey are
not scarce at all nor are the tame variety either!

I've worked harvests at wineries for 3 decades. The bees always come
looking for any juice that they can find. The only time I was ever
stung, was when I didn't see a bee, and put my hand on it. Don't grqb
them, and they won't grab you.

I remember when bees a friend kept in my back yard swarmed. They hung
off the apricot tree in a giant ball. I knew intellectually that they
were busy doing their thing and would not bother me, but viscerally I
stayed in the house and watched them through the window!

Kinda glad they decided to leave, because I wasn't exactly zoned for
bees! The writing was on the wall when a neighbor casually mentioned
that he was having trouble with bees in his attic. Uh, oh!

HB
Old 23-04-2012, 02:08 PM posted to alt.native,rec.gardens,misc.rural

Billy wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Way Back Jack wrote:
[...]

these little buggers will find you, you don't have to find them, and
when they find you, its not one, but a hundred that comes after you. all
you have to do is be in their vicinity for them to attack.
Old 23-04-2012, 09:06 PM posted to alt.native,rec.gardens,misc.rural

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the bees come and take you away
(For What It's Worth)

Hey children what's that sound

Everybody looks what's going round

Love Buffalo

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

http://marshallmcluhanspeaks.com/

Old 23-04-2012, 09:55 PM posted to alt.native,rec.gardens,misc.rural

In article
"David E. Ross" writes:

I see honey bees, bumble bees, and wood bees all the time.

Here (Dayton, Ohio), I didn't see a single honey bee two years
ago. It had me worried. I was happy to see some last year, though
not as many as in earlier times.

I'm hoping the local population continues to recover.

The bumble bees and mason bees seem to be about constant.

--
Drew Lawson Some men's dreams
for others turn to nightmares.
Old 25-04-2012, 03:41 AM posted to alt.native,rec.gardens,misc.rural

In article ,
spiritrising wrote:

Billy wrote:
I've worked harvests at wineries for 3 decades. The bees always come
looking for any juice that they can find. The only time I was ever
stung, was when I didn't see a bee, and put my hand on it. Don't grqb
them, and they won't grab you.

these little buggers will find you, you don't have to find them, and
when they find you, its not one, but a hundred that comes after you. all
you have to do is be in their vicinity for them to attack.

Heh... Obviously being said by someone who knows less than nothing about
bees. Typical trolling idiot.

Hint: I've not only witnessed others doing it, but have personally
worked amongst bees that were coming and going so thick and fast that
they couldn't help but bang into me as they traveled. More times than I
can recall, I've worked hives while wearing nothing more "protective"
than a T-shirt and a pair of sunglasses. Yet here I am, still able to
type this message, and at last count, my "stung while messing with
beehives" score was 3. Yep, three. Guess that's what I get for catching
a case of "fat fingers" and mashing a bee while trying to get a grip on
a frame...

--
Email shown is deceased. If you would like to contact me by email, please
post something that makes it obvious in this or another group you see me

Old 25-04-2012, 06:24 AM posted to alt.native,rec.gardens,misc.rural

On 4/24/2012 7:41 PM, Don Bruder wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

I never liked working with glasses. Thankfully I could see well enough
without. Was always afraid one would fly between my lens and my eye and
get all freaked out. Probably freak the bee out too. Grin. Stung a few
times in the four or five years my family had bees. Usually my fault. No
big. Scrape the stingers. Never grab and pull.
Old 25-04-2012, 07:15 AM posted to alt.native,rec.gardens,misc.rural

I agree with you...

http://www.heatedtowelrailsoutlet.co.uk/
http://www.gazebosoutlet.co.uk/
http://www.patioheatersoutlet.co.uk/
Old 25-04-2012, 09:02 AM posted to alt.native,rec.gardens,misc.rural

* *wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

Problem solved by using safety glasses that fit the face; leave no
room for bees or nails or whatever to fly into your baby blues.

HB-
Old 25-04-2012, 02:20 PM posted to alt.native,rec.gardens,misc.rural

Don Bruder wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

then tell us about africanized bees then, i am waiting to hear all about
it, as we have them here.
Old 25-04-2012, 10:02 PM posted to alt.native,rec.gardens,misc.rural

On Apr 25, 6:20*am, spiritrising wrote:
Don Bruder wrote:
In ,
* *wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

***It is scandal that they were allowed to work their way thousands of
miles North over the decades. The ****ing authorities in all the
countries KNEW they were coming, but nobody did **** about it.

How bad is the situation now for commercial and home growers?

HB