Old 27-09-2010, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Guess what I heard and saw?

Whilst watching TV earlier I heard a sort of crackling sound. I looked
to where the sound was coming from and saw a huge spider running down a
window blind just to the left of me. He then dropped onto the floor,
plonk! He's in hiding now under our black leather sofa and recliners -
not sitting there any more Just goes to show how large these
spiders are to make a noise like that!!

SHUDDER

I'm going out tomorrow to see what I can find for deterring spiders.
May have to send off for it tho as I'm not at all sure any of our local
shops will have such a thing.

How do these huge spiders get into the house anyway? No windows are
open and they always seem to drop from the ceiling!

--

http://www.ariesval.co.uk/val
Old 27-09-2010, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Aries on MacBook" wrote in message
Whilst watching TV earlier I heard a sort of crackling sound. I looked to
where the sound was coming from and saw a huge spider running down a
window blind just to the left of me. He then dropped onto the floor,
plonk! He's in hiding now under our black leather sofa and recliners -
not sitting there any more Just goes to show how large these
spiders are to make a noise like that!!

SHUDDER

I'm going out tomorrow to see what I can find for deterring spiders. May
have to send off for it tho as I'm not at all sure any of our local shops
will have such a thing.

How do these huge spiders get into the house anyway? No windows are open
and they always seem to drop from the ceiling!

I had a similar experience. I was reading in bed, it was very silent and I
heard a scratching sort of noise. I thought it might be a mouse, so I was up
and looking for it immediately.
No, it was the biggest spider I ever saw in my life, climbing up the
wallpaper and making that noise.
I am a bit spider phobic, so rather than tackle it, I hid under the
bedclothes.
I'm better with them than I used to be but that one was a step too far.

Tina

Old 27-09-2010, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/09/2010 23:42, Christina Websell wrote:
"Aries on wrote in message
[...]

Ooooh errrr! Now mice don't worry me at all.

--

http://www.ariesval.co.uk/val
Old 28-09-2010, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Aries on MacBook" wrote
Whilst watching TV earlier I heard a sort of crackling sound. I looked to
where the sound was coming from and saw a huge spider running down a
window blind just to the left of me. He then dropped onto the floor,
plonk! He's in hiding now under our black leather sofa and recliners -
not sitting there any more Just goes to show how large these
spiders are to make a noise like that!!

SHUDDER

I'm going out tomorrow to see what I can find for deterring spiders. May
have to send off for it tho as I'm not at all sure any of our local shops
will have such a thing.

How do these huge spiders get into the house anyway? No windows are open
and they always seem to drop from the ceiling!

The first time I went to Australia I arrived on my own in Port Douglas
tropical Queensland at our apartment and as it was getting dark pulled the
curtains. The biggest spider I have ever seen outside of a zoo fell to the
floor and laid there upside down not moving. Must be dead I thought so I
went to pick it up and it jumped a foot in the air, I jumped 6ft, it was
tropical Australia after all. I had to get a large pudding basin to cover
it, catch it and put it outside.
Later found out it was a harmless Huntsman.
Later that same day, after my wife had arrived having travelled another
route, whilst shutting the front door behind me, a large bright green frog
landed on my chest with a thump and stuck there. Another welcome to the
tropics!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 28-09-2010, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/09/2010 08:52, Bob Hobden wrote:
The first time I went to Australia I arrived on my own in Port Douglas
tropical Queensland at our apartment and as it was getting dark pulled
the curtains. The biggest spider I have ever seen outside of a zoo fell
to the floor and laid there upside down not moving. Must be dead I
thought so I went to pick it up and it jumped a foot in the air, I
jumped 6ft, it was tropical Australia after all. I had to get a large
pudding basin to cover it, catch it and put it outside.
Later found out it was a harmless Huntsman.
Later that same day, after my wife had arrived having travelled another
route, whilst shutting the front door behind me, a large bright green
frog landed on my chest with a thump and stuck there. Another welcome to
the tropics!

NOT a very nice experience!

--

http://www.ariesval.co.uk/val

Old 28-09-2010, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 23:27:12 +0100, Aries on MacBook
wrote:

Whilst watching TV earlier I heard a sort of crackling sound. I looked
to where the sound was coming from and saw a huge spider running down a
window blind just to the left of me. He then dropped onto the floor,
plonk! He's in hiding now under our black leather sofa and recliners -
not sitting there any more Just goes to show how large these
spiders are to make a noise like that!!

SHUDDER

I'm going out tomorrow to see what I can find for deterring spiders.
May have to send off for it tho as I'm not at all sure any of our local
shops will have such a thing.

How do these huge spiders get into the house anyway? No windows are
open and they always seem to drop from the ceiling!

Picture this (some years ago)..... First night back from holiday.
Woken in middle of night by loud scream. Jump out of bed. There on the
bed is the biggest black house spider in creation. Hanging from
ceiling is something quivering in her nightie. No option but to
demonstrably kill spider. Then I was instructed to check everywhere to
make sure there wasn't another in the bedroom.

Moved bed. Strange, as I pulled the bed from the wall the headboard
sort of bent back and stayed against the wall. Ended up having to get
a Stanley knife to cut the mass of webs behind it. In middle of webs
was an even bigger black spider. Even scared me! Threw a shoe at it.
The blighter threw the shoe back! Meanwhile, there was an attack from
another direction with half a can of sets-like-concrete-strength hair
spray. That sort of did the trick - one solidified spider. Picked up
by a leg and dropped out of window. Dented the car on the drive below!

One thing I hate is finding spiders in wellies. I always make them
take them off outside the front door ;-)
Old 28-09-2010, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28 Sep, 08:52, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Aries on MacBook" *wrote

[...]

W.of London. UK- Hide quoted text -

I bet you went to see the "jumping crocs" too!
I stayed there myself for a few days on the way from Cairns to Cape
York.
We were camping, so we got to see plenty of the wildlife.
Old 28-09-2010, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Aries on wrote in message
[...]

Having been bitten by one of the things the cat bought in I am very
wary of picking the live ones up.

Spiders I don't mind so much.
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 28-09-2010, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Aries on
MacBook writes
Whilst watching TV earlier I heard a sort of crackling sound. I looked
to where the sound was coming from and saw a huge spider running down a
window blind just to the left of me. He then dropped onto the floor,
plonk! He's in hiding now under our black leather sofa and recliners -
not sitting there any more Just goes to show how large these
spiders are to make a noise like that!!

SHUDDER

I'm going out tomorrow to see what I can find for deterring spiders.
May have to send off for it tho as I'm not at all sure any of our local
shops will have such a thing.

How do these huge spiders get into the house anyway? No windows are
open and they always seem to drop from the ceiling!

To avoid frightening the ladies in another newsgroup I frequent, it is a
tradition that one refers to spiders as "kittens".
:-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 28-09-2010, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Gordon H wrote:
To avoid frightening the ladies in another newsgroup I frequent, it is a
tradition that one refers to spiders as "kittens".

It's lucky I don't consider myself a lady, I could be quite insulted.

Old 28-09-2010, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 14:32:55 +0100, Valerie
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 12:02:57 +0100, Gordon H wrote:

To avoid frightening the ladies in another newsgroup I frequent, it is a
tradition that one refers to spiders as "kittens".
:-)

??

As in "last night some evil kitten climbed up the curtains and my OH
squashed it and it made a huge mess and I wanted to puke"...
Old 28-09-2010, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Whilst watching TV earlier I heard a sort of crackling sound. I looked
to where the sound was coming from and saw a huge spider running down a
window blind just to the left of me. He then dropped onto the floor,
plonk! He's in hiding now under our black leather sofa and recliners -
not sitting there any more Just goes to show how large these
spiders are to make a noise like that!!

SHUDDER

I'm going out tomorrow to see what I can find for deterring spiders.
May have to send off for it tho as I'm not at all sure any of our local
shops will have such a thing.

How do these huge spiders get into the house anyway? No windows are
open and they always seem to drop from the ceiling!

You ask how they get in. If they are HOUSE spiders, they LIVE in your
house, in cracks and gaps; cupboards, under the bath, behind skirting
boards etc. Quite why September draws them out I don't know. They
are the only thing I'm petrified by, They really freak me out!
I moved an empty box from the top of a cupboard once. Well I thought
it was empty but sitting in the bottom was one of those biggies. I
emptied it out into the garden. The next day there was another (its
mate?) on the wall where the box had been! I managed to catch it in a
dustpan and put it in the garden also. Hope they met up!
Incidentally, spiders ca'n't swim and don't come up the plug hole.
They just go in for a drink.

Pam in Bristol
Old 28-09-2010, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote ...
, Aries on MacBook
wrote:

[...]

Sorry to disappoint you but there is a spider in the UK that lives
underwater. :-(
http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th11f(5).htm

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 28-09-2010, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Aries on MacBook wrote:
Whilst watching TV earlier I heard a sort of crackling sound. I looked
to where the sound was coming from and saw a huge spider running down a
window blind just to the left of me. He then dropped onto the floor,
plonk! He's in hiding now under our black leather sofa and recliners -
not sitting there any more Just goes to show how large these
spiders are to make a noise like that!!

SHUDDER

I'm going out tomorrow to see what I can find for deterring spiders. May
have to send off for it tho as I'm not at all sure any of our local
shops will have such a thing.

How do these huge spiders get into the house anyway? No windows are
open and they always seem to drop from the ceiling!

They get in as ickle longleggety things and eat your pests. That makes
them grow, shed their exoskeleton, and cotinue their good work.

ATM I have a large spider patrolling my front-room ceiling.

Many years ago the GF demonstrated the Farm Spider - it used to cross
the hall at 10.10 pm every day. You could hear its stamping across the
Marley tiles, and it would have spanned a pint glass tankard.

Treat it as a pet - it won't harm you until it grows to about fifty tims
its current size, by which time, you'll need a biggerer sofa innit.

--
Rusty
Old 28-09-2010, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/09/2010 17:39, Pam Moore wrote:
You ask how they get in. If they are HOUSE spiders, they LIVE in your
house, in cracks and gaps; cupboards, under the bath, behind skirting
boards etc. Quite why September draws them out I don't know. They
are the only thing I'm petrified by, They really freak me out!
I moved an empty box from the top of a cupboard once. Well I thought
it was empty but sitting in the bottom was one of those biggies. I
emptied it out into the garden. The next day there was another (its
mate?) on the wall where the box had been! I managed to catch it in a
dustpan and put it in the garden also. Hope they met up!
Incidentally, spiders ca'n't swim and don't come up the plug hole.
They just go in for a drink.

They live in the house ! These are big fat ones, what on earth do
they find to eat ?

As you may have noticed, they freak me out too!

--

http://www.ariesval.co.uk/val

Guess Who I Saw Today Way Back Jack[_10_] Gardening 27 30-04-2012 01:32 PM
Wow, I guess I don't need a grow light Michael Shaffer Ponds 2 06-11-2003 03:02 AM
Breakfast Guess Barbara2245 Ponds 8 01-07-2003 09:25 PM
any clematis experts want to give a guess at this particlar cultivar? xcitor Gardening 1 13-05-2003 04:44 PM
OK...Indoors it is I guess-more questions... TS Orchids 5 13-03-2003 05:08 AM