Old 12-05-2013, 05:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair,ba.gardens,rec.gardens

Default Ideas for improving this second-generation home compostingmethod

On Wed, 08 May 2013 17:44:04 -0400, Norminn wrote:

"Attracting rodents" is reason #1, #2 and #3!

To test whether the "diggers" were attracted to my compost,
I left the fence open the past two days at my compost pile:

Checking this morning, I don't see evidence of animals
digging up the salmon or steak bones yet ...

Old 12-05-2013, 06:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair,ba.gardens,rec.gardens

On 5/12/2013 11:52 AM, Danny D wrote:
On Wed, 08 May 2013 17:44:04 -0400, Norminn wrote:

"Attracting rodents" is reason #1, #2 and #3!

To test whether the "diggers" were attracted to my compost,
I left the fence open the past two days at my compost pile:

Keep it up and you can be sure rats and other _will_ find it. A day or
two isn't long for new food sources to be discovered but rest assured it
will be found if it's kept up.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair,ba.gardens,rec.gardens

Danny D writes:

R On Wed, 08 May 2013 17:44:04 -0400, Norminn wrote:

"Attracting rodents" is reason #1, #2 and #3!

To test whether the "diggers" were attracted to my compost,
I left the fence open the past two days at my compost pile:

Checking this morning, I don't see evidence of animals
digging up the salmon or steak bones yet ...

While discussing compost piles, I thought you might appreciate a
real compost pile:

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/12915722.jpg

The fence is 6ft high. Last years leaves are compacted and partly
broken down.

--
Dan Espen
Old 13-05-2013, 01:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair,ba.gardens,rec.gardens

On Sun, 12 May 2013 12:46:22 -0500, dpb wrote:

you can be sure rats and other _will_ find it.

The holes in the fencing are big enough for rats
to get through, so, if/when they find the compost,
I'll see some evidence of that, I hope.

Old 13-05-2013, 01:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair,ba.gardens,rec.gardens

On Sun, 12 May 2013 13:51:11 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

you might appreciate a real compost pile:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/12915722.jpg

Wow. I wish I had that much compost!

Old 13-05-2013, 01:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair,ba.gardens,rec.gardens

Danny D writes:

On Sun, 12 May 2013 13:51:11 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

you might appreciate a real compost pile:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/12915722.jpg

Wow. I wish I had that much compost!

Only if you really like exercise.

1 years leaves pile up much higher than that.

--
Dan Espen
Old 13-05-2013, 04:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair,ba.gardens,rec.gardens

On Sun, 12 May 2013 20:36:40 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Only if you really like exercise.

I have a lot of Spanish & Scotch Broom, which I pull out
(Scotch Broom) by the hundreds, and I cut & glyphosate
(Spanish Broom) by the scores; but I don't want to compost
that so I put them in the green recycling bins.

It takes a few months because each bin only holds about
an hour's worth of cuttings; yet I generally cut for
four or five hours at a time.

But, other than that, I don't have compost since I'm in
a windy location exposed to the Pacific Ocean winds, which
do all my leaf raking for me during the winter storms!

Of course, it all ends up in the pool ...

Old 13-05-2013, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, May 12, 2013 8:30:06 PM UTC-7, Danny D wrote:
On Sun, 12 May 2013 20:36:40 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Only if you really like exercise.

I have a lot of Spanish & Scotch Broom, which I pull out

(Scotch Broom) by the hundreds, and I cut & glyphosate

(Spanish Broom) by the scores; but I don't want to compost

that so I put them in the green recycling bins.

It takes a few months because each bin only holds about

an hour's worth of cuttings; yet I generally cut for

four or five hours at a time.

But, other than that, I don't have compost since I'm in

a windy location exposed to the Pacific Ocean winds, which

do all my leaf raking for me during the winter storms!

Of course, it all ends up in the pool ...

Maybe I did the wrong thing...but...a few years ago I dismantled my compost and
sold it on Craigs List. I hadn't really been keeping it up properly anyway. So when the City announced that they were now accepting food waste to incorporate into their (quarterly give-away compost events), I decided to go with that. I was surprised when the hand-out said that meat,fat,bones, etc. could be included, but when I called, they said that the compost was produced at such high temperatures that the no-no stuff was rendered harmless.

It's actually a nice community event; people line up in their cars with their bags, pails, other containers. When you get to the head of the line, you climb into a huge "bin" full of this lovely powdery compost, break out your shovel and load up.

Old 14-05-2013, 12:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair,ba.gardens,rec.gardens

Dan Espen said

Danny D writes:

R On Wed, 08 May 2013 17:44:04 -0400, Norminn wrote:

"Attracting rodents" is reason #1, #2 and #3!

To test whether the "diggers" were attracted to my compost,
I left the fence open the past two days at my compost pile:

Checking this morning, I don't see evidence of animals
digging up the salmon or steak bones yet ...

While discussing compost piles, I thought you might appreciate a
real compost pile:

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/12915722.jpg

The fence is 6ft high. Last years leaves are compacted and partly
broken down.

Wow, the wife would never tolerate that pile. I had to pitch a fit to
get two 4" square bins accepted. :-)
Old 14-05-2013, 01:47 AM posted to alt.home.repair,ba.gardens,rec.gardens

DirtBag writes:

Dan Espen said

Danny D writes:

R On Wed, 08 May 2013 17:44:04 -0400, Norminn wrote:

"Attracting rodents" is reason #1, #2 and #3!

To test whether the "diggers" were attracted to my compost,
I left the fence open the past two days at my compost pile:

Checking this morning, I don't see evidence of animals
digging up the salmon or steak bones yet ...

While discussing compost piles, I thought you might appreciate a
real compost pile:

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/12915722.jpg

The fence is 6ft high. Last years leaves are compacted and partly
broken down.

Wow, the wife would never tolerate that pile. I had to pitch a fit to
get two 4" square bins accepted. :-)

The pile isn't visible from the rest of the yard.

You can't make compost in 4 inch bins. Well you can, but you can
turn the compost over with a teaspoon.

--
Dan Espen

Old 14-05-2013, 02:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair,ba.gardens,rec.gardens

Dan Espen wrote:
DirtBag writes:

Dan Espen said

Danny D writes:

On Wed, 08 May 2013 17:44:04 -0400, Norminn wrote:

"Attracting rodents" is reason #1, #2 and #3!

To test whether the "diggers" were attracted to my compost,
I left the fence open the past two days at my compost pile:

Checking this morning, I don't see evidence of animals
digging up the salmon or steak bones yet ...

While discussing compost piles, I thought you might appreciate a
real compost pile:

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/12915722.jpg

The fence is 6ft high. Last years leaves are compacted and partly
broken down.

Wow, the wife would never tolerate that pile. I had to pitch a fit
to get two 4" square bins accepted. :-)

The pile isn't visible from the rest of the yard.

You can't make compost in 4 inch bins. Well you can, but you can
turn the compost over with a teaspoon.

It wouldn't get very hot would it.

Old 14-05-2013, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

DirtBag wrote:
Wow, the wife would never tolerate that pile. I had to pitch a fit to
get two 4" square bins accepted. :-)

or use worms and let them take care of it.
they do much better in the ground where
temperatures are moderated the location can
be less visible to "the management".

most scraps can simply be buried, if done
deeply enough there's no smell or problem
with vermin/bugs. leaves are also broken
down more quickly if buried with some dirt
mixed in instead of just left in a pile on
the surface.

for bones it's much better if you can
grind them (if you don't trust your meat
source you may want to cook them well
first) before composting, but in the end
the earth's critters will take care of
them one way or another.

i worm compost a great deal and study
decomposition techniques. more fun
than a mere human should ever be allowed...

songbird
Old 15-05-2013, 12:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair,ba.gardens,rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott said

Dan Espen wrote:
DirtBag writes:

Dan Espen said

Danny D writes:

On Wed, 08 May 2013 17:44:04 -0400, Norminn wrote:

"Attracting rodents" is reason #1, #2 and #3!

To test whether the "diggers" were attracted to my compost,
I left the fence open the past two days at my compost pile:

Checking this morning, I don't see evidence of animals
digging up the salmon or steak bones yet ...

While discussing compost piles, I thought you might appreciate a
real compost pile:

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/12915722.jpg

The fence is 6ft high. Last years leaves are compacted and partly
broken down.

Wow, the wife would never tolerate that pile. I had to pitch a fit
to get two 4" square bins accepted. :-)

The pile isn't visible from the rest of the yard.

You can't make compost in 4 inch bins. Well you can, but you can
turn the compost over with a teaspoon.

It wouldn't get very hot would it.

Hmmmm, maybe that's my problem. Too small! :-) (oops)
Old 15-05-2013, 04:16 AM posted to alt.home.repair,ba.gardens,rec.gardens

On Tue, 14 May 2013 23:10:18 +0000, DirtBag wrote:

Hmmmm, maybe that's my problem. Too small! (oops)

I took all your advice to heart, and added two more
steps to my composting sequence:

1. I now rake the compost over a larger area than before
(in order to aerate it and allow bacteria their freedom).

2. I disinfect the compost bin in the kitchen with chlorine
(to keep the mold away, which has been happening lately).

PS: The wife has been complaining about the smell of the pool
chlorine in the kitchen; so I have to clean it at night.

Old 15-05-2013, 05:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair,ba.gardens,rec.gardens

"Danny D." writes:

On Tue, 14 May 2013 23:10:18 +0000, DirtBag wrote:

Hmmmm, maybe that's my problem. Too small! (oops)

I took all your advice to heart, and added two more
steps to my composting sequence:

1. I now rake the compost over a larger area than before
(in order to aerate it and allow bacteria their freedom).

2. I disinfect the compost bin in the kitchen with chlorine
(to keep the mold away, which has been happening lately).

Those bacteria are what you want to break down the compost.
Adding chlorine to house air is a bad idea.

PS: The wife has been complaining about the smell of the pool
chlorine in the kitchen; so I have to clean it at night.

Keep the container sealed.
I put coffee grinds, spent flowers, pistachio shells, and leaves in mine.
Nothing smells. The actual compost is 99% yard waste.
You mentioned pulling weeds and not composting them.
That does not seem logical. If you give it enough time the
seeds won't survive.

--
Dan Espen

[IMG] code is On

Ideas for improving this second-generation home compostingmethod Danny D Gardening 4 23-05-2013 10:29 AM
Home Solar Power Generation 3ndy Lawns 1 08-07-2010 07:45 AM
New Generation Roses from Jackson & Perkins Hound Dog Roses 2 19-01-2005 06:39 AM
Vanda Root Generation Diana Kulaga Orchids 10 11-12-2003 07:02 PM
Biohazards:The next generation? Tom Jaszewski Gardening 0 04-09-2003 02:02 AM