Old 15-07-2013, 07:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default String beans

Climbing, climbing, out of reach, need ladder...

Bearing so heavily that I can't keep up; just gave a bag full to neighbor.

Would like to save some for "winter".

Seems sacrilegious to freeze homegrown organic produce...but if I do, should I
blanch first? Research on-line elicits strongly differing opinions, some purporting to be backed by science.

Anybody have practical experience to share?

TIA

HB
Old 15-07-2013, 07:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
Climbing, climbing, out of reach, need ladder...

Bearing so heavily that I can't keep up; just gave a bag full to
neighbor.

Would like to save some for "winter".

Seems sacrilegious to freeze homegrown organic produce...but if I do,
should I
blanch first? Research on-line elicits strongly differing opinions,
some purporting to be backed by science.

Anybody have practical experience to share?

TIA

HB

Blanch them. The reason to do so is to stop enzyme activity which degrades
the veges even when frozen. Take care to time them carefully and refresh in
cold water otherwise you will cook them and reduce the freshness and soften
the testure. There are tables of times for various veges available. I
realise than on usenet/internet it is possible to get an argument about
anything but I haven't heard anybody against blanching, what reason is
given?

David

Old 15-07-2013, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

Climbing, climbing, out of reach, need ladder...
Bearing so heavily that I can't keep up; just gave a bag full to neighbor.
Would like to save some for "winter".
Seems sacrilegious to freeze homegrown organic produce...but if I do, should I
blanch first? Research on-line elicits strongly differing opinions, some purporting to be backed by science.
Anybody have practical experience to share?

I fill pint zip-locs with green beans cut into about 3/4" lengths
(okra too) and freeze for fall soups/stews (really no reason to blanch
if used within a few months), can even cook your veggies in stoups
immediately and freeze, cooked veggies take much less freezer space
and are always ready to eat... I make my soups condensed, takes far
less space, just add some water to suit when heating (use minimal salt
in foods to be frozen, obviously will freeze better - salt to taste
upon serving). Freezing in rectangular containers takes much less
freezer space than round. I make lots of soups/stews to freeze (I use
a 16 qt soup pot), I haven't bought canned soup in more than 40 years.
Everyone who vegetable gardens needs a second refrigerator freezer,
mine is in my basement, a fridge/freezer won't work well or last long
in a hot/cold garage... how else can one store a glut of fresh veggies
until ready to use... a second fridge-freezer is far handier than a
stand alone freezer. Also everyone who vegetable gardens needs to
learn how to pickle. There are many recipes, I prefer fermented
pickles (they go in my second fridge):
http://foodpreservation.about.com/od...reen_Beans.htm
http://www.geappliances.com/search/f...e/10000320.htm
GEAppliances.com

Refrigerator - Installed Outdoors

Cold Temperatures:
We do not recommend installing a refrigerator where temperatures will
go below 60 degrees Fahrenheit. At this temperature, the unit is less
efficient and will continue to lose efficiency as the outdoor
temperature decreases.
At 32 degrees, there is no cooling capability at all.

Note: It is not recommended that refrigerators be used in unheated
locations, such as garages, porches, or unheated rooms during periods
when the temperature is likely to fall below 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

Hot temperatures:
We do not recommend installing a refrigerator where the temperature
will exceed 110 degrees Fahrenheit.

Note: There is a possibility that operating the refrigerator in
extremely high temperature could cause the oil to overheat and break
down, thus damaging the compressor or sealed system.

There is a possibility that some harm could come to the compressor or
sealed system by operating the refrigerator at temperature extremes.
Below 32 degrees Fahrenheit, the oil could become thick and not
circulate properly.
Above 110 degrees Fahrenheit, the oil could overheat and break down.

Refrigeration systems rely on the boiling of freon under pressure and
heat. If the outside temperature is not sufficient, the freon will not
boil to a vapor and no cooling will take place. Low temperatures can
also fool the thermostat into thinking proper temperatures have been
reached. This is true of the new CFC-free refrigerants as well.
---

Old 15-07-2013, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

We normally boil them for 5 - 6 minutes, then put them in ice water.
They get sautéed briefly in butter with shallots, and parsley, and they
are ready to serve.

Seems freezing them after the ice water bath would be the most practical.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 16-07-2013, 05:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 11:21:57 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:
Climbing, climbing, out of reach, need ladder...

Bearing so heavily that I can't keep up; just gave a bag full to neighbor..

Would like to save some for "winter".

Seems sacrilegious to freeze homegrown organic produce...but if I do, should I

blanch first? Research on-line elicits strongly differing opinions, some purporting to be backed by science.

Anybody have practical experience to share?

Interesting. The diversity of views to blanch or not to blanch pretty much reflects what I found on-line.

Guess I'll have to set up a proper experiment:

1. Harvest quantity of beans early a.m. or late afternoon.

2. Wash and cut into 1" or less pieces.

3. Pack several bags with unblanched.

4. Pack equal quantity with blanched.

5. Use different colored bags or labels for blanch/non-blanch

6. Place in freezer.

7. After X period -- say 4-months -- eat some out of each kind.

8. But how avoid pre-determination bias? Have to get a neighbor to nuke them,
so I don't know which came out of blanch/non-blanch bags.

This should get me a Nobel prize.

Brooklyn that was a sensible tip about making space-saving condensed soups & adding (liquid) just before consumption.

Can't afford the second refrig/freezer, however; utilities are through the roof here. After [censored] years in the same community, I look back through a veil of tears at the price of electric, gas, water, trash in a by-gone era. Thank goodness I don't need A/C, like I bet David Ross does on the other side of the mountain.

HB

Old 16-07-2013, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Since you've got so many beans, you might want to try making
"leather britches": http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-...#axzz2ZDsv6vNg

My mom's family would hang them in the attic (100-120oF or so) to dry, or if
it was a dry summer, just place them on screens on the roof to dry.

If you like the version of green beans where you cook them with bacon
or a ham shank till they're Really Dead, you'll probably like these.
It is a different flavor and texture from fresh or frozen beans cooked
until they're just done.

Kay

Old 16-07-2013, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/15/2013 11:25 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Interesting. The diversity of views to blanch or not to blanch pretty much reflects what I found on-line.

Guess I'll have to set up a proper experiment:

1. Harvest quantity of beans early a.m. or late afternoon.

2. Wash and cut into 1" or less pieces.

3. Pack several bags with unblanched.

4. Pack equal quantity with blanched.

5. Use different colored bags or labels for blanch/non-blanch

6. Place in freezer.

7. After X period -- say 4-months -- eat some out of each kind.

8. But how avoid pre-determination bias? Have to get a neighbor to nuke them,
so I don't know which came out of blanch/non-blanch bags.

This should get me a Nobel prize.

Food science researchers determined that blanching is necessary. The
food processing companies (Green Giant, etc.) are convinced that it is
necessary. They wouldn't expend the additional effort and cost of
blanching if it wasn't obvious that it preserves the quality of the
product.

What my family has always done is pack the raw cleaned vegetables into
those heatproof vacuum-seal bags, seal the bags, then drop the bags
into boiling water to blanch. They then go into ice water for the
quick chill before going into the freezer. It's much less hassle
bagging them before blanching. It might also preserve a bit more
flavor, being that the juices aren't being washed away in the
water/ice baths.
Old 16-07-2013, 11:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:42:03 AM UTC-7, Kay Lancaster wrote:
Since you've got so many beans, you might want to try making

"leather britches": http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-...#axzz2ZDsv6vNg

My mom's family would hang them in the attic (100-120oF or so) to dry, or if

it was a dry summer, just place them on screens on the roof to dry.

If you like the version of green beans where you cook them with bacon

or a ham shank till they're Really Dead, you'll probably like these.

It is a different flavor and texture from fresh or frozen beans cooked

until they're just done.

Kay

Thanks, Kay - maybe I will give it a try.

But just for the record, I don't cook green beans -- or indeed any veg -- until they're "Really Dead". I pick the beans, wash, cut into small pieces, nuke in the micro with a tbsp of water, then sauter quickly in (my late mother's) iron skillet where I have previously sauteed ground Tamari almonds in butter. A little salt & pepper and away we go.

Cook fast if cook at all g When my corn comes in -- any day now -- it's so sweet that I've been known to just stand there and eat it off the cob, without bothering to go to the kitchen.

HB
Old 16-07-2013, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 9:00:26 AM UTC-7, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
[...]

Very interesting. Raises another question. If water is not contacting the veg -- which I assume is the ordinary definition of blanching?? -- why not pop the bags into the micro to "blanch"? (for what period of time, compared with water blanch?). Then into ice water, then freezer.

I strongly agree with you on preserving not only flavor, but also VITAMINS! When I nuke fresh veg with a tbsp of water, I always drink the water.

Tx

HB
Old 17-07-2013, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

What my family has always done is pack the raw cleaned vegetables
into

those heatproof vacuum-seal bags, seal the bags, then drop the bags

into boiling water to blanch. They then go into ice water for the

quick chill before going into the freezer. It's much less hassle

bagging them before blanching. It might also preserve a bit more

flavor, being that the juices aren't being washed away in the

water/ice baths.

Very interesting. Raises another question. If water is not
contacting the veg -- which I assume is the ordinary definition of
blanching?? -- why not pop the bags into the micro to "blanch"? (for
what period of time, compared with water blanch?). Then into ice
water, then freezer.

Because contact with water is not in itself relevant to the objective of
blanching, blanching is done by immersing food in hot water because it is an
easy way to heat it quickly and uniformly. Using a microwave is another
method but it would not heat as evenly as immersion. Cooling in ice or ice
water is the reverse process aiming to quickly cool the vegetable down to
prevent it from cooking. The water is just heating or cooling the food in
each case nothing else.

The aim is to raise the temperature briefly to deactivate the enzymes that
can keep working and degrade the product if you don't. Before you dismiss
the body of evidence that says blanching is beneficial you ought to at least
understand the principle. You still haven't told why you don't want to do
it or who said it was not necessary.

Old 17-07-2013, 07:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:37:36 PM UTC-7, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

1. I don't recall saying I don't want to do it.

2. I said that I went on-line (before posting to this NG) and observed disagreement as to efficacy of blanching; some yes, some no.

3. Rather than go back and paste in 'n' Web sites, I invite you to replicate my research.

4. If you look carefully, my last post precisely inquired into the principle.

QED.

HB

Old 17-07-2013, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/16/2013 5:29 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

I used to blanch the snap beans in the microwave, but the process
actually goes faster in boiling water. It takes more time for the
microwave to heat the vegetable to the required temperature. Also, for
denser packages - corn kernels, for instance - it usually doesn't heat
evenly. So we moved to boiling water for everything.

I strongly agree with you on preserving not only flavor, but also
VITAMINS! When I nuke fresh veg with a tbsp of water, I always
drink the water.

That's the other advantage of this process. Frankly, I don't like
watery vegetables, and I don't like bags full of ice crystals, which
you can get if too much water sticks to the veggies when you bag them
after the water dip. Plus, when you exhaust the air from the bag
during the sealing process, you can smooth the bag evenly flat so they
blanch evenly, then stack nicely and freeze fast in the freezer.

Anyhow, we've been doing it this way since the days of the Dazey
Seal-A-Meal, if any of the old-timers remember that early precursor to
the vacuum sealers now on the market.
Old 17-07-2013, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 10:02:25 AM UTC-7, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
[...]

Hey, I used to have one of them puppies! When it died & went to veg heaven,
I shopped for a replacement, but everything's gone hi-tech & expensive. Sometimes the Golden Oldies show up in thrift shops.

HB