Old 23-10-2013, 06:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Ripen Green Tomatoes?

What is the latest great idea for ripening green tomatoes?
Old 23-10-2013, 07:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/23/2013 12:24 PM, wrote:
What is the latest great idea for ripening green tomatoes?

An oldie but goodie is to pull up the entire plant, hang it in a
frost-free area, and just let the fruit ripen on the vine.
Old 23-10-2013, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
" wrote:

What is the latest great idea for ripening green tomatoes?

There is none except ethylene gas. Usually, green tomatoes are placed in
a bag with bananas, which give off ethylene gas as they ripen, and they
will ripen, so to speak, the tomatoes. Don't expect vine ripe flavor.

If the tomatoes are showing some color, you might put them on news
paper, on a window ledge, not touching. Invoking the aid of some deity
may help also, at least to sooth your mind.

An alternative plan is to use the green tomatoes in place of tomatillos
in Mexican recipes, e.g.:

Chicken Enchiladas with Green Sauce
(Enchiladas Verdes)

2 cups Salsa Verde (see recipe below)
1/4 cup oil
12 corn tortillas
1-1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1/3 cup diced onion
1/2 cup sour cream
3 ounces queso fresco, crumbled

Warm the salsa in a saucepan.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet.
One at a time, fry the tortillas for a few seconds to soften.
Place on a towel to drain.
When done, dip each tortilla in the warm salsa.
In the middle, place some chicken, onion, and white onion.
Roll up and place in baking dish.
When completely done, cover enchiladas with remaining salsa, then
sprinkle
on crumbled cheese.
Serve hot.

Tomatillo (or green tomato) Salsa
(Salsa Verde)

1 pound tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed, coarsely chopped
Peppers to taste (Jalapeno, Serrano, Anaheims)
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons diced onion
Salt

Place tomatillos in a saucepan and barely cover with water. Bring to a
boil, then simmer until soft - about 10 minutes. Place half of the
tomatillos in a blender jar. Add the cilantro, garlic, and onion. Blend
until smooth. Add the remaining tomatillos, and pulse a few times, just
enough to break up any larger pieces. Return sauce to the pan and cook
for another 10 minutes. Season with salt.

Palestinian Child Detained
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 23-10-2013, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
What is the latest great idea for ripening green tomatoes?

Keep at room temperature and wait.

Old 24-10-2013, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 12:24:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:
What is the latest great idea for ripening green tomatoes?

I just want them to get sort of red, then they will go into a big pot on the stove to cook, get strained thru a coarse strainer and make some great tomato juice or bloody mary mix extender. Freezes up easily to last for many months until next tomato season.

Old 24-10-2013, 01:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

hrhofmann wrote:
hrho wrote:
What is the latest great idea for ripening green tomatoes?

I just want them to get sort of red, then they will go into a big pot on the stove to cook,
et strained thru a coarse strainer and make some great tomato juice or bloody mary mix extender.
reezes up easily to last for many months until next tomato season.

That just wastes them, salad tomatoes are awful for cooking sauce,
they are much too watery. Instead cook fried green tomatoes; dredge
slices in sesoned cornmeal and pan fry... extra can be frozen and
reheated in the microwave. I like to pickle green tomatoes by the
fermentation method, delicious.
http://blog.hippoflambe.com/2009/10/...o-pickles.html
Old 24-10-2013, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

The thought of fried green tomatoes makes me want to puke. My mother used to force me to eat those things at the end of eery summer when I was a kid and even now it is thoroughly disgusting in my mind.
Old 25-10-2013, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 12:31:54 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

My mother used to force me to eat those things at the end of
ery summer when I was a kid and even now it is thoroughly
disgusting in my mind.

Then you're so lucky not having a mind.

Old 25-10-2013, 11:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 5:28:04 PM UTC-4, Billy wrote:

There is none except ethylene gas. Usually, green tomatoes are placed in

a bag with bananas, which give off ethylene gas as they ripen, and they

will ripen, so to speak, the tomatoes. Don't expect vine ripe flavor.

If the tomatoes are showing some color, you might put them on news

paper, on a window ledge, not touching. Invoking the aid of some deity

may help also, at least to sooth your mind.

why newspaper? I had forgotten, but my dad used to do that. In a mostly dark, dank basement... Who is the patron saint of tomatoes ripening?

do ripe bananas work better than other ripe tomatoes? I suppose ethylene is ethylene and does not matter.

why can't the tomatoes touch? They do on the vine.

Old 31-10-2013, 04:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

" wrote:

What is the latest great idea for ripening green tomatoes?

There is none except ethylene gas. Usually, green tomatoes are placed in

a bag with bananas, which give off ethylene gas as they ripen, and they

will ripen, so to speak, the tomatoes. Don't expect vine ripe flavor.

If the tomatoes are showing some color, you might put them on news

paper, on a window ledge, not touching. Invoking the aid of some deity

may help also, at least to sooth your mind.

I tried a banana, but didn't seem to do much. After few days, got hungry for a banana so had to take it out of the paper bag and eat part... Some tomatoes are redding, a decent looking couple.