Old 06-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Dave Calhoun

Default indoor garden advice needed

Let me start by saying I'm a guy and I've never tried to grow a plant
before. I have a nice fake one in my office. So I've got the itch to
give it a go. What I'd like is:

1. a small indoor garden, perhaps on one of those wheeled shelves in the
garden department.
2. lot's of flowers that perhaps I could rotate to my kitchen table and
back.

It will be located in a room that receives the afternoon sunlight, most
likely in front of a sliding glass door. Since I live in Washington
State the window will most likely get fairly warm in the summer and
somewhat cold in winter. Assume a temp variation between 60-80 degrees.

By reading websites I've collected a list of possible plants but I
realize I'm way out of my league. So I'll present the list here and
accept all the advice you have to offer.

shasta daisy
tall coreopsis
garden phlox
peonies
lilacs
nasturtiums
calendulas
impatiens
marigolds
poppies

Thanks for all your help,

Dave
Old 06-05-2003, 06:20 AM
Dave Calhoun

As I continue to read I see that some plants will introduce unpleasant
insects to the house. I'd like to minimize this of course.

Dave
Old 06-05-2003, 07:20 AM
Valkyrie

"Dave Calhoun" wrote in message
Let me start by saying I'm a guy and I've never tried to grow a plant
before. I have a nice fake one in my office. So I've got the itch to
give it a go. What I'd like is:

1. a small indoor garden, perhaps on one of those wheeled shelves in the
garden department.
2. lot's of flowers that perhaps I could rotate to my kitchen table and
back.

shasta daisy
tall coreopsis
garden phlox
peonies
lilacs
nasturtiums
calendulas
impatiens
marigolds
poppies

I believe these are generally grown as outdoor garden plants. Where did you
get your list and where are you in Washington, east or west side of the
hump?

Val

Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 05 May 2003 21:38:31 -0700, Dave Calhoun
wrote:

1. a small indoor garden, perhaps on one of those wheeled shelves in the
garden department.
2. lot's of flowers that perhaps I could rotate to my kitchen table and
back.

snip
shasta daisy
tall coreopsis
garden phlox
peonies
lilacs
nasturtiums
calendulas
impatiens
marigolds
poppies

No way, Jose. Or Dave. Or Troll. These are outdoor plants, all of
which require full sun. Stick with your plastic plants.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Iris Cohen

I've never tried to grow a plant
before. What I'd like is:
1. a small indoor garden, perhaps on one of those wheeled shelves in the garden
department.
2. lot's of flowers that perhaps I could rotate to my kitchen table and back.

It will be located in a room that receives the afternoon sunlight, most
likely in front of a sliding glass door.
I live in Washington State

The list you presented are all outdoor plants. They will not survive indoors
for any length of time, although you can use the indoor garden to germinate
seeds.
You don't mention fluorescent lights, which could be used during the winter to
supplement natural light.
Your biggest problem will be heat buildup & low humidity when the sun is out.
If you want flowering plants, start with a few African violets. Don't forget to
rotate them regularly to obtain symmetrical growth.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 06-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Pam

Dave Calhoun wrote:

Let me start by saying I'm a guy and I've never tried to grow a plant
before. I have a nice fake one in my office. So I've got the itch to
give it a go.

Dave, as others have pointed out, your plant list is comprised of plants
suited to growing out of doors. With very few exceptions, outdoor plants do
not fare very well being grown indoors for any length of time. That does not
mean you can't realize your vision - you just need a more suitable list of
plants. There are scores of great indoor plants, many of which will flower
over a long period of time. Visit a good local garden center with a good
selection of indoor plants - as long as you can provide right growing
conditions, you could have an assortment of begonias, gardenias, African
violets, kalanchoe, Persian violet, cyclamen, Thanksgiving cactus, orchids,
even other flowering cacti and succulents. And don't exclude overwintering
geraniums in your indoor garden or forcing spring bulbs. These may not
exactly be beginner's fare, but I'm willing to bet once you get started you
won't be able to stop. Gardening - even indoor gardening - is addictive.

Do some research, too. Growing plants indoors tends to be a bit more
complicated than growing things outside. YOU have to assume the role of
Mother Nature and provide correct growing conditions of soil, light,
humidity and water and nutrients. If this is your fist attempt at
"gardening", you might want to start with something pretty foolproof before
you move on the the tricky stuff. Personally, I have found begonias dead
easy to grow indoors, ditto African violets.

pam - gardengal

Old 06-05-2003, 07:08 PM
LeeAnne

Hi Dave,

I would highly recommend heading to a garden center w/a knowledgeable (
not walmart) staff who can help you choose plants for indoor display.

Good luck,
LeeAnne

Old 06-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Adam Schwartz

"Dave Calhoun" wrote in message
What I'd like is:

1. a small indoor garden, perhaps on one of those wheeled shelves in the
garden department.
2. lot's of flowers that perhaps I could rotate to my kitchen table and
back.

Many garden centers will have an area in their greenhouse for houseplants.
These are usually tropical plants which have evolved to grow in the shady
underbrush of the tropical jungle or rainforest. Unless you live in Arizona
or Spain, there will probably never be enough light in your home (even by
the windows) for full sun plants (not to mention many window glasses filter
out UV light). I recomend visiting the nursery and asking about their
houseplant selection, then just pick out whaever looks nice to you.

Good luck,
Adam

Old 07-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Dave Calhoun

It sounds like I started with bad information and was possibly a bit
overambitious. African violets have been mentioned to me several times
here and in another forum so I'll look into that. Maybe a desk plant
would be a better place for me to start. I'll be looking up all the ones
mentioned though. Thanks!

Dave
Old 07-05-2003, 06:08 AM
Françoise

I agree with you. I planted fibrous begonias from seeds I had gathered in=
the
fall from my garden. Because it was the first time I wanted to test my se=
eds. I
planted them before Christmas, placed them under light and transplanted 4=

seedlings (2 white and 2 pink in a 6 inches pot and since January, I had
constant flowers. They are gorgeous. I will keep this pot in the house to=
see
how long they will last.

I also took some cuttings in the fall from tuberous begonias. They all fl=
owered
at one time and now still in the house they are all in flowers.

I have had more success with these begonias than with A. violets.

Fran=E7oise.