Old 24-01-2003, 12:21 AM
madgard

Default Blueberries in a pot

trying to look it up for you now.................g
"zhanataya" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:13:21 -0500, "madgard"
wrote:

think bees, Zhan.............

I understand that. but still you need the cultivars to be in bloom at
the same time to do any cross pollination.

Old 24-01-2003, 01:37 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:18:27 GMT, animaux
wrote:

Quick to correct, but slow on the thanks for anything I give to you in your
requests. Did you find your lemon grass?

Good land woman, remember the post, "I hate you...but I'll send you
the tape"? Why the F would I bother to be thankful. BTW it wasn't
quick to correct it was intended to direct those interested to a
reliable source of information!

And no I haven't found a source for root divisions.

Regards,

tomj

"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution.
Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."

- Thomas Edison
Old 24-01-2003, 01:47 AM
animaux

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:14:12 GMT, zhanataya wrote:

I've been rounding up information on apples and cross pollinators for
my brother. One of the things you must consider in pollinating apples
is the season of bloom. Wouldn't do much good to buy an early bloomer
and a late bloomer aand expect much cross pollination. Is this going
to be a concern for blueberries?

zhan

Usually the quality garden center/nurseries will tell you which varieties will
bloom at the same time and in your climate. I have a peach tree 'Dixieland' and
two apple trees, 'Mollies Delicious' and 'Granny Smith.' Those bloom at the
same time and will cross pollinate. I'm not sure about blueberry varieties, but
if you need two, they both should be in bloom together.

Old 24-01-2003, 01:50 AM
animaux

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 01:37:55 GMT, Tom Jaszewski
wrote:

Good land woman, remember the post, "I hate you...but I'll send you
the tape"? Why the F would I bother to be thankful. BTW it wasn't
quick to correct it was intended to direct those interested to a
reliable source of information!

And no I haven't found a source for root divisions.

Ah, the "I hate you" part was a joke! Geesh, you have no sense of humor.

I still have the tape. I TAPED IT FOR YOU, with YOU in mind. Don't you know
when I'm goofing? I thought a truce was met?????

Want the tape,

Old 24-01-2003, 01:50 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:05:57 GMT, zhanataya
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:18:26 GMT, Tom Jaszewski
wrote:

mycorrhizae

Tom if it is close enough to be corrected it is close enough to get
the information communicated. Who made Webster the be all to end all
anyway. ;-)

zhan

Not close enough to efficiently get the information.!
Silliness aside, I have a supply of all the available species. Email
me and I'll happily send enough to inoculate a pot
or two. I have a large order coming next week of seven species.

Old 24-01-2003, 03:52 AM
zhanataya

wrote:

mycorrhizae

Tom if it is close enough to be corrected it is close enough to get
the information communicated. Who made Webster the be all to end all
anyway. ;-)

zhan

Not close enough to efficiently get the information.!
Silliness aside, I have a supply of all the available species. Email
me and I'll happily send enough to inoculate a pot
or two. I have a large order coming next week of seven species.

Regards,

tomj

Thanks tom, I appreciate you generosity. E-mail on the way.

B/R zhan

Old 24-01-2003, 12:14 PM
Pat Brothers

Blueberries have early, mid and late blooming varieties. A good garden
center will have them labeled. There are self polinating varieties if
you don't have room for two, but even those have better fruit set with a
polinator. Look up Finch Nursery in North Carolina. They specialize in
blueberries and bluebird houses. Nice folks. Their grower told me there
is enough overlap between all the varieties you don't have to worry too
much. An early and mid season bloomer, for instance, would extend your
season.

animaux wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:14:12 GMT, zhanataya wrote:

I've been rounding up information on apples and cross pollinators for
my brother. One of the things you must consider in pollinating apples
is the season of bloom. Wouldn't do much good to buy an early bloomer
and a late bloomer aand expect much cross pollination. Is this going
to be a concern for blueberries?

zhan

Usually the quality garden center/nurseries will tell you which varieties will
bloom at the same time and in your climate. I have a peach tree 'Dixieland' and
two apple trees, 'Mollies Delicious' and 'Granny Smith.' Those bloom at the
same time and will cross pollinate. I'm not sure about blueberry varieties, but
if you need two, they both should be in bloom together.

Pat Brothers

The Powell House

Wake Forest, NC
USDA 7b

Old 28-01-2003, 12:56 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:09:01 GMT, zhanataya
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:21:21 GMT, animaux
wrote:

I believe Don is still around, his website is:

http://www.bio-organics.com/

However, now you can buy it in just about any good garden center. Make sure it
is VAM mycorrhiza (spelled correctly without the e, and correct both ways).

VAM is a combination of fungi. And yes, that is what they were talking about in
1929, before they knew much about soil.

thanks V, I''ll get some. I'll get the pots prepared now and hold off
on putting the plants in until later in the spring.

zhan

I got a reply from my supplier today on species for strawberries....

"blueberries form specialized ericoid mycorrhizae. no one has figured
out
how to grow them and I have tried several times.

dr mike"

www.mycorrhizae.com

Regards,

tomj

"i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
wich is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginably You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)"

ee cummings
Old 28-01-2003, 03:34 AM
Iris Cohen

Default OT

. As for not subscribing to this newsgroup, there's not a hell of a lot of
reasons for some of us to "keep up their membership" from October thru April.
You know, the ones in Zone 5 and lower

Don't you have any houseplants? Just skiing?

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885

Old 29-01-2003, 01:27 PM
TOM KAN PA

Subject: OT
From: (Iris Cohen)
Don't you have any houseplants? Just skiing?
____Reply Separator_____
Oh yeah, a couple window seals full. They do take up about 15 minutes a week
for watering them.
Skiing? Didn't prepare for it this year. Do I still have time to get in the
mood by following this list of handy exercises.

16. Visit your local butcher and pay $30 to sit in the walk-in freezer for a
half an hour. Afterwards, burn two $50 dollar bills to warm up.

15. Soak your gloves and store them in the freezer after every use.

14. Fasten a small, wide rubber band around the top half of your head before
you go to bed each night.

13. If you wear glasses, begin wearing them with glue smeared on the lenses.

12. Throw away a hundred dollar bill- now!!

11. Find the nearest ice rink and walk across the ice 20 times in your ski
boots carrying two pairs of skis, accessory bag and poles. Pretend you are
looking for your car. Sporadically drop things.

10. Place a small but angular pebble in your shoes, line them with crushed ice,
and then tighten a C-clamp around your toes.

9. Buy a new pair of gloves and immediately throw one away.

8. Secure one of your ankles to a bed post and ask a friend to run into you at
high speed.

7. Go to McDonald's and insist on paying $8.50 for a hamburger. Be sure
you are in the longest line.

6. Clip a lift ticket to the zipper of your jacket and ride a motorcycle
fast enough to make the ticket lacerate your face.

5. Drive slowly for five hours, anywhere, as long as it's in a snowstorm
and you're following an 18 wheeler.

4. Fill a blender with ice, hit the pulse button and let the spray blast your
face. Leave the ice on your face until it melts. Let it drip into your clothes.

3. Dress up in as many clothes as you can and then proceed to take them off
because you have to go to the bathroom.

2. Slam your thumb in a car door. Don't go see a doctor.

1. Repeat all of the above every Saturday and Sunday until it's time for the
real thing!

Old 29-01-2003, 03:45 PM
zhanataya

On 29 Jan 2003 13:27:13 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

From:
(Iris Cohen)
[...]

Now I know why Bill has an evil grin each time he suggests teaching me
to ski.
Old 19-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Registered User

Hi Zhan!

I'd have to disagree with your use of mycorrhizal fungi with blueberries. Unfortunately, blueberries is the one of the very few plants that mycorrhizae has no effect on.
Drink coffee? mix your used coffee grounds into the mix (fresh coffee grounds is too acidic.)
as for mycorrhiza, the leaders i've found is reforest.com/extreme_gardening.php their website isn't great, (a little hard to navigate) but they have some good info. also, they don't sell smaller quantities directly from the site (which is stupid) but email or call them if you need anything, and they'll help you out, on just info alone.
also, planting multiple species of blueberries will increase yield.

Alan
Old 01-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Registered User

You can add sulfur, but it will take some time to bring the pH value decreased. This is why mychorriza help plants absorb fertilizer, even at higher pH values Until the soil conditions will be ripe. If you can get the soil ready to enter For a while, and then plant the pot plant, it will be better.
Pond Supplies