Old 26-06-2003, 02:56 AM
Denny

Default Please ID These Wildflowers

These (and many other) wildflowers grow around my summer place in
Eastern Ontario, Canada during the month of June. Could someone please
let me know what they are.

Images at:

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower1.jpg
http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower2.jpg
http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower3.jpg
http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower4.jpg
http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower5.jpg

Many thanks in advance.

Denny
Old 26-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Lynn F. Russell

Denny,

Number 4 is what I always called "Devil's Paintbrush". Yellow is the most
common color but I've also seen them in orange. They are plentiful in
Maine.

Lynn

m...

Old 26-06-2003, 03:32 AM
paghat

In article ,
(Denny) wrote:

These (and many other) wildflowers grow around my summer place in
Eastern Ontario, Canada during the month of June. Could someone please
let me know what they are.

I'm terrible at recognizing things from pictures unless they're also in my
garden, but I'll take a couple wild guesses.

Images at:

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower1.jpg
Maybe some kind of PHLOX.

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower2.jpg

Some kind of HARDY CRANE'S-BILL GERANIUM

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower3.jpg

Some sort of FOXGLOVE

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower4.jpg

Some sort of knautia (hooboy that's a feeble guess, I almost guessed milkweed)

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower5.jpg

Beats me, but it sure is some kind of cute.

-paghat the ratgirl

Many thanks in advance.

Denny

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 26-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Denny said:

These (and many other) wildflowers grow around my summer place in
Eastern Ontario, Canada during the month of June. Could someone please
let me know what they are.

Images at:

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower1.jpg

Look like the flowers have four petals. Dame's Rocket (Hesperis matronalis)
Alien
(Phlox, which another poster mentioned, has five petals.)

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower2.jpg

Herb Robert (Geranium robertium)
Alien

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower3.jpg

Penstemon, I think. Maybe hairy beardtongue (Penstemon hirsutis)
Native wildflower

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower4.jpg

The leaves are low rosette? Some sort of hawkweed (Heiracium).
Alien
Possibilities include smooth hawkweed and king devil

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower5.jpg

I think this is heal-all (Prunella vulgaris).
Alien

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 26-06-2003, 02:32 PM
animaux

On 25 Jun 2003 18:50:46 -0700, (Denny) wrote:

These (and many other) wildflowers grow around my summer place in
Eastern Ontario, Canada during the month of June. Could someone please
let me know what they are.

Images at:

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower1.jpg

Could be phlox, but phlox usually has five petals

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower2.jpg

Could be this: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...74439122AFnhfm

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower3.jpg

Could be: http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~aw...p/Pcobaea.html

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower4.jpg

Don't have any idea. Need better photo of flower parts.

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower5.jpg

May be:

http://stephenville.tamu.edu/~butler.../horsemint.htm

Old 27-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Julie Sloan

On 25 Jun 2003 18:50:46 -0700, (Denny) typed
these words:

These (and many other) wildflowers grow around my summer place in
Eastern Ontario, Canada during the month of June. Could someone please
let me know what they are.

Images at:

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower1.jpg

I have these too! They sprang up out of a bag of wildflower seed I
bought at the local hardware store. Very pretty. I have no idea what
it is, but I'm harvesting the seeds for next year.

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower2.jpg

Herb Robert (geranium family)

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower3.jpg

Lyre-leaf sage, I think (mint family)

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower4.jpg

Yellow hawkweed or Two-flowered Cynthia (both in sunflower family)

http://home.ca.inter.net/~deniswb/wildflower5.jpg

Heal-all

Many thanks in advance.

Denny

I like this game!!

Julie

http://www.bobsloansampler.com/

Bearskin to Holly Fork: Stories from Appalachia
by Bob Sloan ISBN: 1-893239-21-7
Old 27-06-2003, 11:56 AM
GrampysGurl

Is it Dames Rocket?

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/...eets/dames.htm
Old 28-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Sed5555

Denny,
Here are my guesses:
1. dames rocket (noxious weed here in Colorado, but very pretty)
2. cranesbill
3. penstemon (beardtongue)
4. tickseed
5. self heal