Old 27-06-2003, 07:11 PM
Chelsea Christenson

Default Vinegar/water weed killing solution?

My master gardener suggested a solution of vinegar and water for
killing the weeds that come up between the bricks in my patio.
Unfortunately, she's on vacation now, so I can't ask her: what is the
correct ratio of vinegar to water?

Old 27-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Joseph Meehan

Check out:

forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/organic/msg0311423010564.html

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old 27-06-2003, 08:20 PM
David J Bockman

Actually, a spritz of pure white, undiluted vinegar will work on many (but
not all) broad leaved weeds. It works best in full sun, and again, if the
weed's leaves do not have a large surface area you might not kill it.

Dave

Old 27-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Dwight Sipler

Chelsea Christenson wrote:

My master gardener suggested a solution of vinegar and water for
killing the weeds that come up between the bricks in my patio.
Unfortunately, she's on vacation now, so I can't ask her: what is the
correct ratio of vinegar to water?

I heard about that one time so I took some grocery store vinegar (about
5% acidity) and put it into a sprayer and sprayed some grass etc. in my
gravel driveway. In a couple of days the weeds were dead. In a couple of
weeks the weeds were back.

There may be some plants that vinegar will kill, but the ordinary
hard-to-get-rid-of weeds are not among them. It may set them back a bit,
but don't count on eradication.

I did not try it on poison ivy.
Old 27-06-2003, 09:08 PM
DavesVideo

Dwight said:

I heard about that one time so I took some grocery store vinegar (about

5% acidity) and put it into a sprayer and sprayed some grass etc. in my
gravel driveway. In a couple of days the weeds were dead. In a couple of
weeks the weeds were back.

I did not try it on poison ivy.

My neighborhood garden expert recently recommended vinegar for poison ivy.
But she said that you need to get 7% acid. Not sure where you get it.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

Old 27-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Thomas Neumayr

I use 1 quart vinegar to 1/2 cup of dish soap. It works well on sunny days
but is not a permanent solution. The weeds come back so I spray about once
a week.
Cindi

Old 28-06-2003, 02:56 AM
animaux

The recommended vinegar for herbicidal use is a 20% acidity vinegar. It's sold
at better garden centers, and Lowes now sells it. It's very expensive and I
don't use it. I hand pull weeds. Either way, if you use the vinegar, it is
suggested you use the 20% by volume acidity at full strength, no diluted with
water.

Old 28-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Phisherman

wrote:

My master gardener suggested a solution of vinegar and water for
killing the weeds that come up between the bricks in my patio.
Unfortunately, she's on vacation now, so I can't ask her: what is the
correct ratio of vinegar to water?

I used vinegar full strength on weeds growing out of the driveway
cracks. It did not work worth a damn. The propane torch worked,
though.
Old 28-06-2003, 06:44 AM
Valkyrie

Vinegar is a poor herbicide, it needs to be the high percentage, 20%, and
then needs to be used full strength while the plant is in full sun and then
said plant will wilt and get all brown and grungy and die
(sometimes)...........then they will all be back in a few weeks and you can
do this process all over again and again and AGAIN. Torch 'em, dig 'em up or
spritz 'em with Round-Up if this is not against your delicate
sensibilities. Get a big old screw driver and dig them out and if you really
have a problem with them re appearing sprinkle some preemergence stuff in
the cracks or just keep digging them out. I had a flag stone patio and used
Round-up, I had that little 12oz. bottle for about 3 years. On a sunny day
I'd just give the weed a little tiny spritz and that was it. OR you could do
like my neighbor did with his brick driveway.......just mix up weed killer
in a 3 gallon sprayer and saturate the ENTIRE bricked area, after all more
is always better in some people's book, and then he had dead grass foot
prints from him walking over the drive and then onto his grass, and also
doggy prints and kid prints... looked like an Arthur Murray dance floor for
Merange` lessons..the run off also killed everything within a two foot
radius of the driveway...it'll give the rest of the neighborhood something
to chuckle about for years!

Val

Old 28-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

Chelsea Christenson wrote:

My master gardener suggested a solution of vinegar and water for
killing the weeds that come up between the bricks in my patio.
Unfortunately, she's on vacation now, so I can't ask her: what is the
correct ratio of vinegar to water?

3 parts vinegar, 1 part virgin olive oil, mix well and pour on
raddiccio.

I tried STRAIGHT vinegar on bermuda grass and it's thriving
(after three applications, no less).

I went back to using Roundup.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both

Old 28-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

"David J Bockman" wrote:

Actually, a spritz of pure white, undiluted vinegar will work on many (but
not all) broad leaved weeds. It works best in full sun, and again, if the
weed's leaves do not have a large surface area you might not kill it.

Straight, fresh whgite vinegar doesn't work worth a darn on my
weeds (bermuda, spotted spurge, sow thistle, etc.) They change
color, but just to a darker healthier green.

And we have strong full sun. 112 degrees yessterday.

Tsu

Old 28-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Pam

Chelsea Christenson wrote:

My master gardener suggested a solution of vinegar and water for
killing the weeds that come up between the bricks in my patio.
Unfortunately, she's on vacation now, so I can't ask her: what is the
correct ratio of vinegar to water?

Household vinegar is not registered as a herbicide and has minimal effect
on the control of weeds. Yuu might get some top dieback of young weed
seedlings but the roots will be unaffected and it will have no apparent
effect on larger, more established weeds.

Household vinegar is only 5-7% acetic acid - any dilution will reduce that
concentration further. Registered herbicidal applications of vinegar are a
by-product of the wine making industry and are 20% acetic acid (and
typically contain high concentrate citric acid as well) and are extremely
caustic, not to mention expensive (about $50 per gallon). Caution should
be exercised when using - not only because of the causticness but acetic
acid is also very non-selective - it will affect any plant in the vicinity
of the application. At that concentration, it changes the soil pH (at
least temporarily) to the extent that most plants find the soil too acidic
and unhospitable for growth. It is NOT fast acting - the label suggests up
to six months for noticeable results - and the soil may require
remediation before it is acceptable for planting.

It also has a very adverse effect on soil biota. Personally, I'd choose
another method of weed control.

pam - gardengal

Old 28-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Salty Thumb

Tsu Dho Nimh wrote in
:

"David J Bockman" wrote:

Actually, a spritz of pure white, undiluted vinegar will work on many
(but not all) broad leaved weeds. It works best in full sun, and
again, if the weed's leaves do not have a large surface area you might
not kill it.

Straight, fresh whgite vinegar doesn't work worth a darn on my
weeds (bermuda, spotted spurge, sow thistle, etc.) They change
color, but just to a darker healthier green.

And we have strong full sun. 112 degrees yessterday.

I'm not surprised. I doubt minor applications of plain grocery store
vinegar will work on acidophilic plants, plants with waxy leaves, plants
with deep root systems and just plain ornery plants. That's just my
conjecture based on my faint understanding of the mechanisms involved. I
don't have any formal training in botany or chemistry.

If you consider a weed to be an undesirable plant (and not just the
species that are called weeds regardless of where they are situated) then
I say application of household vinegar is worth a try, especially if you
are concerned about the *possible* side effects of the alternatives.

My experience is that it works well for wuss weeds like the kind that
crop up in patio or driveway cracks. After the plant has been dry and
brown for a sufficient number of days, yank out the carcass and backfill
the cavity (so no new homeless weed seeds wander in and take up residence
and also to make it harder for any leftover root to push it's way back up
into the light). Yes, you can dig or try to yank it out without
spraying. Does that have the same efficacy? I don't know. But if
spraying works, you get the sadistic joy of knowing you've made the plant
suffer dearly for its temerity. Mwuahahahhahahahahahaha

If you are looking for a persistent herbicide to spray and forget,
vinegar is probably not for you.

- Salty

Old 28-06-2003, 06:44 PM
des-weges

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:28:20 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12yo"
wrote:

VINEGAR IS NOT AN HERBICIDE AT ALL!!!!!!!

http://www.barc.usda.gov/anri/sasl/vinegar.html
Research Results from BARC
Greenhouse and field research have been conducted at Beltsville,
Maryland, to determine the efficacy of vinegar for controlling weeds.
The results indicate that vinegar can kill several important weed
species at several growth stages. Vinegar at 10, 15 or 20 % acetic
acid concentration provided 80-100 percent kill of selected annual
weeds, including giant foxtail up to 3 inches in height, common
lambsquarters up to 5 inches, smooth pigweed up to 6 inches, and
velvetleaf up to 9 inches. Control of annual weeds with vinegar at the
5 % acetic acid concentration was variable. Canada thistle shoots were
highly susceptible with 100 percent kill by 5 % vinegar. However,
there was re-growth from Canada thistle roots.

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson