Old 29-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Default Vinegar/water weed killing solution?

Tag along Mikie has finally gotten the point in a nut shell. (What a painful
thing that can be!!!)

Yank that bad mofo out and mix the vinegar with olive oil to make a
vinaigrette so you can eat that weed!!!!

Mike Stevenson wrote in message

"Chelsea Christenson" wrote in message
My master gardener suggested a solution of vinegar and water for
killing the weeds that come up between the bricks in my patio.
Unfortunately, she's on vacation now, so I can't ask her: what is the
correct ratio of vinegar to water?

Chelsea if you spent the time to read all the...shall we say "blather" in
the responses to your post, you probubly could have pulled the weeds by

now.
In fact its possible they even died of old age...

Old 29-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Shepherd

"Cereoid-UR12yo" wrote in message
.. .
VINEGAR IS NOT AN HERBICIDE AT ALL!!!!!!!

AND DISH SOAP IS NOT AN INSECTICIDE, but I have killed a lot of bugs with
it.

I use 20% vinegar on crabgrass, and if it doesn't killed it outright, it
certainly slows it up.

Shepherd

Valkyrie wrote in message
Vinegar is a poor herbicide, it needs to be the high percentage, 20%,

and
then needs to be used full strength while the plant is in full sun and

then
said plant will wilt and get all brown and grungy and die
(sometimes)...........then they will all be back in a few weeks and you

can
do this process all over again and again and AGAIN. Torch 'em, dig 'em

up
or
spritz 'em with Round-Up if this is not against your delicate
sensibilities. Get a big old screw driver and dig them out and if you

really
have a problem with them re appearing sprinkle some preemergence stuff

in
the cracks or just keep digging them out. I had a flag stone patio and

used
Round-up, I had that little 12oz. bottle for about 3 years. On a sunny

day
I'd just give the weed a little tiny spritz and that was it. OR you

could
do
like my neighbor did with his brick driveway.......just mix up weed

killer
in a 3 gallon sprayer and saturate the ENTIRE bricked area, after all

more
is always better in some people's book, and then he had dead grass foot
prints from him walking over the drive and then onto his grass, and also
doggy prints and kid prints... looked like an Arthur Murray dance floor

for
Merange` lessons..the run off also killed everything within a two foot
radius of the driveway...it'll give the rest of the neighborhood

something
to chuckle about for years!

Val

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:33:06 -0400, Chelsea Christenson
wrote:

My master gardener suggested a solution of vinegar and water

for
killing the weeds that come up between the bricks in my patio.
Unfortunately, she's on vacation now, so I can't ask her: what is

the
correct ratio of vinegar to water?

I used vinegar full strength on weeds growing out of the driveway
cracks. It did not work worth a damn. The propane torch worked,
though.

Old 30-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Chelsea Christenson

Mike Stevenson wrote:
"Chelsea Christenson" wrote in message

My master gardener suggested a solution of vinegar and water for
killing the weeds that come up between the bricks in my patio.
Unfortunately, she's on vacation now, so I can't ask her: what is the
correct ratio of vinegar to water?

Chelsea if you spent the time to read all the...shall we say "blather" in
the responses to your post, you probubly could have pulled the weeds by now.
In fact its possible they even died of old age...

It took me ten minutes to read all the responses. It would take a lot
longer to get all the weeds out of a patio and two walkways. Plus, the
computer's inside, where the air conditioning is....

The gardener suggested a vinegar/water solution _or_ Roundup, carefully
applied. Since I've already managed to kill a couple of plants with
Roundup splash, I thought I'd investigate the vinegar option. It sounds
like the most effective option, if I go with the vinegar, is the 20%
solution. I'd have to see if I could find it at the Farmer's Co-op. It
sounds like I'd still have to be careful about splash, though.

Right now, I'm thinking I'll go with the Roundup, since I already have
some and can easily get more, but I need to cut up a cardboard box to
screen the desirable plants from splash.

Old 01-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Muush

Mike Stevenson wrote:
[...]

You realise that if you get roundup on something accidentally you can wash
it off straight away?

Old 01-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Chelsea Christenson

Muush wrote:
"Chelsea Christenson" wrote in message

Right now, I'm thinking I'll go with the Roundup, since I already have
some and can easily get more, but I need to cut up a cardboard box to
screen the desirable plants from splash.

You realise that if you get roundup on something accidentally you can wash
it off straight away?

The problem is that I don't notice.

Old 01-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Chelsea Christenson

Mike Stevenson wrote:
It took you 10 minutes to read 40+ responses?

More or less. Many of the responses did not require close attention....

Old 02-07-2003, 03:32 AM
theoneflasehaddock

Chelsea Christenson wrote in message ...
My master gardener suggested a solution of vinegar and water for
killing the weeds that come up between the bricks in my patio.
Unfortunately, she's on vacation now, so I can't ask her: what is the
correct ratio of vinegar to water?

I've never tried it for gardening. You should give enemas with it instead.

-
theoneflasehaddock
Old 04-07-2003, 07:56 PM
Free Radical

Chelsea Christenson wrote in message

My master gardener suggested a solution of vinegar and water for
killing the weeds that come up between the bricks in my patio.
Unfortunately, she's on vacation now, so I can't ask her: what is the
correct ratio of vinegar to water?

leap frog as the original is missing from my server

The ratio depends on a lot of different conditions and factors.

With dry soil it is better to use more water with the same vinegar. Damp
soil will take a stronger mixture. Alkaline soil will require a strnger
mixture than soil that is already a little acidic.

Grass which tends to run a little more acidic that broad leaf plants
naturally take more vinegar to pickle the roots.

If you are not concerned about other plants near the bricks you want to
treat you may as well go full strength and get the job done the first time.
If you are concerned about poisoning other plants near by it is best to
start light and increase the strength as needed.

Basically it is best to just experiment with the conditions you are working
with until you find the right mixture for those conditions.

Old 05-07-2003, 02:20 AM
Zemedelec

Cheap vinegar is mostly water. Use it on the weeds between paving stones with
a light heart on a sunny day, and in 24 hours, unless it rains, the weeds will
be kaput for a couple of months.
zemedelec
Old 06-07-2003, 12:08 AM
delusion

itchy nose hot head
i think i'm coming down with flu oh no
Old 08-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Tegan

Muush wrote:
"Chelsea Christenson" wrote in message

Right now, I'm thinking I'll go with the Roundup, since I already have
some and can easily get more, but I need to cut up a cardboard box to
screen the desirable plants from splash.

You realise that if you get roundup on something accidentally you can wash
it off straight away?

The problem is that I don't notice.

Roundup thread earlier suggested you wear a pair of rubber gloves.
Over those, a pair of disposable cotton gloves. One
cotton-over-rubber-gloved-hand gets wetted with the Roundup and
strokes the undesirable plants, the other hand serves to catch drips.
I keep thinking if I try this, I'll use four
cotton-over-rubber-gloved-hands (enlisting my spouse, as I haven't
figured out the technique for sprouting my own second pair of hands),
so there's a hand for the spray bottle and yet another to push/pull
keeper-plants out of the way. Teamwork! The family that poisons
together... and all that.