Old 30-06-2003, 06:35 AM
Shelly

Default What to do with a skunk in a live trap?

"Bill Spohn" wrote...

Look at www.yankeeflipper.com
They have a movie of the little bushy tailed rats getting a ride.
Hilarious!

I went to the site and saw the video, laughed so hard all the kids got
up to see what was up. We all watched it a couple of times, when the
kids finally went back to bed the were all complaining that we don't
have squirrels here. Funny thing was, the squirrels seemed to be
having a good time!

Gotta see if we can adapt this technology to the types of pests I
might encounter... Teens, salesmen, and such...

Shelly

Old 30-06-2003, 06:56 AM

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:33:38 -0700, "Shelly" wrote:

"Bill Spohn" wrote

As for squirrels, ... you will never get rid of them.

Truer words were never said!

== snippazhe

I'd buy one of those feeder myself

if I had squirrels here.

Squirrels? You want squirrels? Give me a shipping address and I've
have a van-load out to you in no time.

That way I might have a few avocados, plums, and apricots left
without those cute teeth marks gouged into the now-useless fruit.

Fantasy: Sittin' on mah back porch, spittin' tobaccer chaw, with
mah .22 at the ready...

--

Persephone

Old 30-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Dwight Sipler

Gary The Rookie Farmer wrote:

I suppose the use of the Hav-a-hart trap is so that you can release
the critter alive. I would assmue that you let them go in some country
or wooded setting. Do you realize that you are just tranferring the
problem to some one else? What would you think if someone from the
country released one near your house in the city? In other words; I
live in the country and I don't want anymore damned raccons, skunks or
tree rats (squirrels) around here.

The Hav-a-hart trap is useful for trapping because if you catch a
non-targeted species (e.g. a neighbor's cat) it is easily released with
no harm done. The targeted species can be dispatched as required. A trap
that immediately kills an animal is a hazard to the other animals that
wander around your areas, domesticated or not.

PS: skunks are not harmful animals unless you happen to have an
agressive dog. They will make holes in your lawn looking for grubs, but
removing grubs will help your lawn and the holes will fill in if the
grass is healthy. If they see you coming they will waddle away without
spraying unless you go after them or they are trapped.

I have caught several skunks in Hav-a-hart traps. All I do is walk up to
the trap and unlatch it, then open the door a bit and put a rock under
it so the skunk can see that it's open. The skunk doesn't have room in
the trap to get into spraying position, so it's unlikely you will be
sprayed. If you worry about it, cover the trap with a tarp while you are
opening the door.

If you (or your dog) get sprayed, http://www.animalforum.com/gskunk.htm
has a note about what to do. The old tomato juice remedy is there, but
there are several others including baking soda/hydrogen peroxide/soap.
Old 30-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Wendy Chatley Green

For some inexplicable reasons, Julie Sloan
wrote:

:
:Well, fancy meeting you here too. It's like "old home week" in the
:garden center.
:

Now that I'm back in Florida and have to reclaim an overgrown yard and
a field behind the shop, I'm gardening again.

--
Wendy Chatley Green

Old 30-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Julie Sloan

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 07:22:39 -0400, Wendy Chatley Green
typed these words:

wrote:

:
:Well, fancy meeting you here too. It's like "old home week" in the
:garden center.
:

Now that I'm back in Florida and have to reclaim an overgrown yard and
a field behind the shop, I'm gardening again.

Have fun! I've been "reclaiming" the bottom end of these 30 acres
forjust over two years now. Early this spring I was able to clean out
a fold in the woods someone had used as a garbage dump. What
satisfaction!

Good to "see" you, Wendy.

http://www.bobsloansampler.com/

Bearskin to Holly Fork: Stories from Appalachia
by Bob Sloan ISBN: 1-893239-21-7
Old 01-07-2003, 07:20 AM
Shelly

wrote to "Shelly"

Squirrels? You want squirrels? Give me a shipping address and I've
have a van-load out to you in no time.

That way I might have a few avocados, plums, and apricots left
without those cute teeth marks gouged into the now-useless fruit.

Fantasy: Sittin' on mah back porch, spittin' tobaccer chaw, with
mah .22 at the ready...

:-) Thanks anyway, but as fun as the video was to watch, I don't
think I want to have them eating my corn! I'm sorry that you have to
deal with them, but I really don't want them myself!

Shelly

Old 02-07-2003, 03:32 AM
theoneflasehaddock

H Hornblower wrote in message . ..
I have disposed of a couple of nocturnal coons with a big
Havahart trap. I live in the city , but by a railroad track with a
variety of wildlife. I'd never thought about what I'd do if I caught a
skunk in the thing until I saw one in the yard one morning. What a
mess that could be.

yeah. I recommend talking to the skunks. Or spanking them.
Or you can shove a clove up garlic up your ass. It won't do a lick of
good, but at least I'd get a laugh out of it.
Old 16-07-2003, 06:04 AM
Evil One

"theoneflasehaddock" wrote in message
m...
H Hornblower wrote in message

. ..
I have disposed of a couple of nocturnal coons with a big
Havahart trap. I live in the city , but by a railroad track with a
variety of wildlife. I'd never thought about what I'd do if I caught a
skunk in the thing until I saw one in the yard one morning. What a
mess that could be.

I had one of those idiotic traps. I say idiotic since only an idiotic animal
can be caught in it. But, I did actually catch a skunk and what I did was
carefully and I do mean carefully, insert the trap into a contractors
plastic bag. These are big suckers and made from something like 4 or 5 mil.
plastic. I did the insertion from the rear I should add. I'm sure this will
bring copious amounts of ribald comment, but it is important to know.

I then moved the trap to an area outside of my garden and set the little
sucker free. He/she/it seemed happy enough to get away so I didn't suffer
any long lasting memories of the encounter.

Old 16-07-2003, 04:12 PM
marvin

Buy one of the traps that the door falls open when you roll it on its back.
I have a 25 foot cord attached to mine, and when I catch a skunk, I pull the
cord until the trap rolls on its back. The door falls open, and the skunk
walks out with no danger to anyone.

Marvin & Sue

Old 19-07-2003, 07:42 PM
Evil One

"Matthew Milligan" wrote in message
What does this thread have to do with beer?

Guinness Fan

You mean you have never had a "skunky" beer? :-)

But, you are right, after this at least I will trim my headers.

Old 20-07-2003, 04:42 PM
OhSojourner

Evil One wrote:

"theoneflasehaddock" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Perhaps the trap could be fashioned so that the bag could be closed over it
from a distance (in lieu of the original poster's fear of what might go wrong).
How that would work: I'm presuming the contractors' bags have a diameter at
least big enough to contain the length of a skunk-sized trap; so take some
wire, cable, or even stiff plastic and loosely tape it around the edges of the
bag to make a "hula hoop" or croquet hoop type structure. Place the bag
"inside" the trap but keep the bag open, with the hoop on the ground,
surrounding the trap. Attach string or wire to the far side of the hoop and
clip or weight the fore portion to the ground so that it can be pulled forward
sort of like the way a mousetrap works (and the bag drawn over the trap) from a
distance. Test your setup first to see that it works smoothly. Inventive
persons can add variations on how this is done, but you get the idea.

[IMG] code is On

Moles - to trap or not to trap clarissa United Kingdom 20 01-10-2007 08:26 AM
Skunk in trap Srgnt Billko Lawns 1 03-09-2006 08:58 PM
OT - Anyone know where I can rent / borrow a live trap? Dewitt Texas 2 09-08-2005 06:18 PM
Buy Live Fish Live Plants Live Food Online In Canada H2O Aquatic Solutions Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 10-12-2004 01:14 AM
What to do with a skunk in a live trap? H Hornblower Edible Gardening 7 30-06-2003 11:56 PM