Old 29-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Dave Gower

Default earth-friendly algae killer?

I have several hundred feet of plastic tubing which I use to water various
plants, shrubs and trees on my property. It has a hose attachment and works
well to deliver a slow stream of warmed water (I am on a well, and here in
Ontario well water is cold all summer).

It works better than a garden hose since it naturally has a low flow rate
and therefore is easier to get a dependable rate of water delivery. It is
also easier to handle and store than several hundred feet of garden hose.
The problem with it is algae build-up. Since it is semi-transparent, algae
grows on the inside and constantly gives me plugging problems.

I guess the answer is periodic flushing with an algaecide, so my question,
what can I use that will not be toxic to the soil (I am on septic, not city
sewer). I've never had a swimming pool, so how about the pool algae killers?
Any home remedies?

Old 29-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Mike Stevenson

I have read that ordinary cow's milk, diluted into the water supply, has
anti-fungal and anti-algae properties. If you have some way of introducing
this into your tubing it could help retard the growth of future algae
build-up. As far as to kill your current batch, have you considered the
algae killing solutions used in fish tanks? They should be fairly safe,
since they are designed to work with the fish still in the tank. Fish are
rather sensitive to chemicals so if its safe for them It should be safe to
assume its ok for grass, bugs, birds, etc. Still you would probubly need
quite a bit of it.

Old 29-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

You already know the answer but didn't make the connection.

Soak them overnight in dilute Chlorine bleach.

Old 29-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Joseph Meehan

I might suggest flushing it out with tap water every morning. That will
put fresh chlorine in the hose every day. Water the grass with it if
needed. Also storing it somewhere out of the light would help.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old 29-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Cow's milk? Don't do it. Do you want the rancid smell of sour milk
throughout your garden?

Use dilute chlorine bleach. It is the cheapest and most efficient thing you
can use. Its what's used for swimming pools and fish tanks.

Old 29-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Dave Gower

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
I might suggest flushing it out with tap water every morning. That

will
put fresh chlorine in the hose every day.

Uh, as I said I am on a well. That's the problem. But that makes me wonder
if I could add a bit on chlorinating compound to my water before siphoning
it through. I also like Mike's suggestion of fish tank treatment.

Old 29-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Timothy

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:08:42 -0400, Dave Gower wrote:

[...]

Besides bleach you could try to flush vingar throught the system to shock
the algae. Remove all the drip heads and soak them over night. Flush the
sytem with as high of a pressure as possible.

The real answer, in my opinion, is to drain the whole system after each use.
The water laying in the line is only encouraging the algae growths.
Depending on the system, it might be as easy as un-corking the main line
at it's lowest spot.
Better luck with your algae..........

--
http://yard-works.netfirms.com
Bellingham, Washington

Old 29-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Joseph Meehan

Sorry I missed that part, or forgot it.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old 30-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Not back to the freaking vinegar again.

Do you want to kill the algae or just pickle them?

What's next? "Scrubbing bubbles"?

newsan.2003.06.29.20.12.57.534614@_REMOVE_attbi. com...

Old 30-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Shelly

"Mike Stevenson" wrote...
I have read that ordinary cow's milk, diluted into the water supply,

has
anti-fungal and anti-algae properties. If you have some way of

introducing
this into your tubing it could help retard the growth of future

algae
build-up.

I had a friend who used this solution on several houseplants that
she'd overwatered and had algae growing on the soil... One died, and
she had to cut back the other two and wash a lot of the soil off the
roots so she could repot with as much 'fresh' potting soil as
possible. Seemed the milk soured and introduced even more problems to
her plants. Eventually the two survivors recovered fully, but you
might want to think twice before using milk around your plants.

Shelly

Old 30-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Mike Stevenson

LMAO talking about the vinegar...

I am really fond of that Bunny summoning spell...

news

Old 30-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Dwight Sipler

Dave Gower wrote:

.... Since it is semi-transparent, algae
grows on the inside and constantly gives me plugging problems.

I guess the answer is periodic flushing with an algaecide, so my question,
what can I use that will not be toxic to the soil (I am on septic, not city
sewer). I've never had a swimming pool, so how about the pool algae killers?
Any home remedies?

Anything that kills a naturally occuring plant or animal is not really
earth-friendly. I assume that you really mean "non-injurious to your
chosen plants".

Pool algae killers are basically bleach. A light application of bleach
occasionally will kill the algae. Another possibility is hydrogen
peroxide. The peroxide is probably safer for the other plants. If you
pour a pint into the tubing, then turn the water on, it will be diluted
by the time it gets to the other end.

Other possibilities include getting opaque tubing (black tubing will
absorb heat better in addition to not giving the algae light to grow
on), or burying the tubing. Burying the tubing has the advantage that
you can run it through your lawn without worrying about the mower.
Polyethylene tubing is fairly tough stuff, and will take a freeze with
water in it without breaking, so you only have to bury it a couple of
inches (and you don't have to take it up and store it). However, buried
tubing will not warm the water significantly except in really hot
weather.

I don't think that warming the water is really essential for your
plants. If you are putting the water on the ground around the plants,
the temperature of the soil in the root zone will probably not change by
more than a couple of degrees even if the water is really cold. This is
because there's a lot of soil which can transfer heat to the water while
it's soaking in. Warming water might be important when you're starting
plants in small cells, but not outside.
Old 30-06-2003, 10:20 PM
animaux

The man said he was using well water. Thus, no chlorine.