Old 21-08-2003, 03:02 PM
TOM KAN PA

Default Seattle's Street Margins

Paghat wrote in an earlier post, Today the city of Seattle put out an
announcement for everyone to water their street margins' trees
____Reply Separator_____
Street margin? Is this the strip between the curb and the sidewalk? In our
locale (Pittsburgh, Pa. metropolitan area) we call this the Devil Strip. It
doesn't belong to you, but your responsible for it's upkeep and maintenance.

Old 21-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Those "street margins" are a royal pain in the ass.

Hardly worth the time and effort for hauling out the mower just to cut the
narrow strip.

I'm often tempted to pull out all the grass and replacing it with prickly
pear cactus!!!!

Maybe Liriope or Ophiopogon would be a better idea?

Other neighbors have just cemented it up.

We never got "street trees". All the better.

animaux wrote in message
On 21 Aug 2003 13:46:35 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) opined:

Paghat wrote in an earlier post, Today the city of Seattle put out an
announcement for everyone to water their street margins' trees
____Reply Separator_____
Street margin? Is this the strip between the curb and the sidewalk? In

our
locale (Pittsburgh, Pa. metropolitan area) we call this the Devil Strip.

It
doesn't belong to you, but your responsible for it's upkeep and

maintenance.

None of my land belongs to me. It's all on loan. Either way, I removed

all the
grass from the "parkway" (what they call it in Texas) and planted it with

Gaura
lindheimeriii, 3 cedar elms, Muhlinburgia lindheimerii (sp?) and D.

inoxia.

No mow, no water, no nothing. They can have it whenever they want it.

Old 21-08-2003, 07:02 PM
paghat

In article ,
c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

Paghat wrote in an earlier post, Today the city of Seattle put out an
announcement for everyone to water their street margins' trees
____Reply Separator_____

Street margin? Is this the strip between the curb and the sidewalk? In our
locale (Pittsburgh, Pa. metropolitan area) we call this the Devil Strip. It
doesn't belong to you, but your responsible for it's upkeep and maintenance.

Cool term Devil Strip, never heard that before. Know the origin of the term?

I'm turning the street margin into elaborate sun-gardens. The city or
county could if they want tear it all out for any reason they had, so it's
always a risk, but it's perfectly legal to plant all over it. The city has
in the past even provided people with free saplings, but I wanted my own
tree choices. There's an official list of permissible trees, quite a long
list fortunately, what is missing from the list in theory is stuff that
would too easily lift sidewalks or spread wider than they get tall or drop
hideously gushy messes on the roads. The list looked random to me though.
I remember being dissapointed Perotia was not permitted.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 22-08-2003, 06:03 AM
animaux

Yeah, it's much better now that I removed the sod. I thought of prickly
cactus, but one of the dumb kids would for sure have fallen into it as they go
willie nillie on their bikes everywhere, and for sure one of their dumb parents
would sue.

Liriope and Ophiopogon would work, but they look ratty if not watered. Dwarf
monkey is nice, but again needs some water.

I'm sure I will have a thousand Gaura next winter in rosette. I can always send
you a batch. They flower beautifully on no care what so ever and all I need do
is about every 4-6 weeks go out with a sequitur and hack down the spend bloom
stems. In two weeks they are in full bloom again. Native too.

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 17:29:12 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-" opined:

Those "street margins" are a royal pain in the ass.

Hardly worth the time and effort for hauling out the mower just to cut the
narrow strip.

I'm often tempted to pull out all the grass and replacing it with prickly
pear cactus!!!!

Maybe Liriope or Ophiopogon would be a better idea?

Other neighbors have just cemented it up.

We never got "street trees". All the better.

.. .

Old 22-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Pam

paghat wrote:

There's an official list of permissible trees, quite a long
list fortunately, what is missing from the list in theory is stuff that
would too easily lift sidewalks or spread wider than they get tall or drop
hideously gushy messes on the roads. The list looked random to me though.
I remember being dissapointed Perotia was not permitted.

-paghat the ratgirl

Parrotia persica is on the approved list of Seattle Street Trees - an ideal choice
for a parking/hell strip. Slow growing to a very manageable size, no mess, no
fuss, drought and pollution tolerant and drop-dead gorgeous fall color. Don't
understand why they are not more common.

pam - gardengal

Old 23-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Travis

Pam wrote:
Parrotia persica is on the approved list of Seattle Street
Trees - an ideal choice for a parking/hell strip. Slow growing
to a very manageable size, no mess, no fuss, drought and
pollution tolerant and drop-dead gorgeous fall color. Don't
understand why they are not more common.

Where ya been Pam?
Is it available at Swanson's?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 23-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Pam

Travis wrote:

Pam wrote:
Parrotia persica is on the approved list of Seattle Street
Trees - an ideal choice for a parking/hell strip. Slow growing
to a very manageable size, no mess, no fuss, drought and
pollution tolerant and drop-dead gorgeous fall color. Don't
understand why they are not more common.

Where ya been Pam?
Is it available at Swanson's?

Hi Travis;
On vacation and yup, although I am no longer available at at Swanson's
:-))

pam - gardengal

Old 23-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Travis

Pam wrote:
Hi Travis;
On vacation and yup, although I am no longer available at at
Swanson's :-))

Have you retired?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 24-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Pam

Travis wrote:

Pam wrote:
Hi Travis;
On vacation and yup, although I am no longer available at at
Swanson's :-))

Have you retired?

Neither old enough or wealthy enough to retire - just concentrating on
landscape design and consultation full time.

pam - gardengal