Old 16-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire
Default ID tree: cordate lvs, toothed margins, please

Hello everyone,

I am trying to ID a tree found in a friend's garden, and I need some help, please. *puppy eyes*

It appears to be a self-sown tree - it's in a very odd location, by the oil tank, ie not where you would plant something ornamental - and is currently only about 12' high.

The leaves are cordate (hope I'm getting these terms right: heart-shaped) and the leaf margins are strongly toothed. The leaves are matt, light green in colour, and it's definitely not Lime (Tilia), although the style of the veins is similair: the stalk end of the leaf is even, not uneven.

The leaves are held on stalks, and are arranged more or less alternately along the branches, but in bunches of two or three, not singly.

I'm certain it's not any sort of cherry!

I have taken a couple of photos, but I can't upload them (and I have read the stern warnings about not embedding them) yet: I am hoping that someone out there might recognise the tree from the description. If not, when I get back on Monday I will upload the photos and add a link. Sorry to be a nuisance, I know it's easier to ID from photos: it's the leaves in bunches that I thought might be the pointer.

And as it's apparently self-sown, it's probably really common!

You guys have been a great help in the past, I hope that you might be able to throw some suggestions my way. I've tried googling the search terms and checking "images" for page after page, without luck.

I'm going off-line now, so thank you for reading, and I hope that you can leave me some suggestions.

Thank you in advance.

Rachel
Old 16-06-2012, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Am 16.06.2012 19:07, schrieb Rachel 101:
[...]

Could it be a birch tree?
http://images.search.conduit.com/Ima...a rt=35&pos=7
Old 17-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi View Post
On 16.06.2012 19:07, Rachel 101 wrote:
Hello everyone, I am trying to ID a tree:

The leaves are cordate, margins are strongly toothed. The leaves are
matt, light green in colour, and it's definitely not Lime (Tilia),
although the style of the veins is similair: the stalk end of the leaf
is even, not uneven.

The leaves are held on stalks, and are arranged more or less alternately
along the branches, but in bunches of two or three, not singly.

I'm certain it's not any sort of cherry!

Thank you in advance.

Rachel

Could it be a birch tree?
Preview Page
Hi Willi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but no: birch leaves are more-or-less triangular or diamond-shaped, whereas these are very much heart shaped.

I now have pictures: not brilliant, but I hope that they help.

1) A branch from underneath, showing how the leaves are in bunches or two or three, not singly:

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...06Robtree2.jpg

2) cluse up of the leaves, showing pale green matte colour, vein pattern, and general shape:

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...06Robtree1.jpg

3) another general view of the branch:

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/...06Robtree3.jpg

I looked around the garden but couldn't see anything similar in the area (in the hope that a mature tree might give me more clues), so any suggestions would be welcomed. I am pretty sure that it's not an exotic, as the garden is not an "exotic" one, and the position of this tree suggests that it was not planted deliberately, but has arrived as a chance seedling.

Thank you,

Rachel
Old 17-06-2012, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rachel 101 wrote:

I looked around the garden but couldn't see anything similar in the
area (in the hope that a mature tree might give me more clues), so any
suggestions would be welcomed. I am pretty sure that it's not an exotic,
as the garden is not an "exotic" one, and the position of this tree
suggests that it was not planted deliberately, but has arrived as a
chance seedling.

Er, no. Please don't fall into the trap of assuming that there is
any great difference (in the UK!) between native and exotic species.
Almost ALL species, and all but one or perhaps two tree species,
have arrived in the past 11,000 years. What is more, we really
don't know for any of the longer-established ones which arrived
'naturally' and which were introduced.

Exotic species are at least as likely to self-seed as 'native' ones;
buddleia, ailanthus, sycamore, walnut (sic) and dozens more do it
readily.

On this particular plant, what it the older bark like?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-06-2012, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Preview Page' (http://tinyurl.com/cgyvhdk)

Hi Willi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but no: birch leaves are more-or-less
triangular or diamond-shaped, whereas these are very much heart shaped.

An odd guess but it looks like Davidia involuctrata, the Pocket
Handkerchief tree. I had a dream about this tree last night, probably
because mine keeps growing in the wrong direction, and I am about
decided to try another one this fall.

-E

Old 17-06-2012, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

-

http://tinyurl.com/7qoy8a2

2) cluse up of the leaves, showing pale green matte colour, vein
pattern, and general shape:

http://tinyurl.com/7yx76pw

3) another general view of the branch:

http://tinyurl.com/ckbey5f

I looked around the garden but couldn't see anything similar in the
area (in the hope that a mature tree might give me more clues), so any
suggestions would be welcomed. I am pretty sure that it's not an exotic,
as the garden is not an "exotic" one, and the position of this tree
suggests that it was not planted deliberately, but has arrived as a
chance seedling.

Thank you,

Rachel

As you said a photp would help, you can always use something like
Photobucket and link yto the pic.
David @ the sunny end of Swansea Bay

Old 17-06-2012, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Emery Davis
writes
On 06/17/2012 08:46 AM, Rachel 101 wrote:

On 16.06.2012 19:07, Rachel 101 wrote:-
Hello everyone, I am trying to ID a tree:

Could it be a birch tree?
'Preview Page' (http://tinyurl.com/cgyvhdk)

Hi Willi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but no: birch leaves are more-or-less
triangular or diamond-shaped, whereas these are very much heart shaped.

An odd guess but it looks like Davidia involuctrata, the Pocket
Handkerchief tree. I had a dream about this tree last night, probably
because mine keeps growing in the wrong direction, and I am about
decided to try another one this fall.

That was the closest match I could find, but it doesn't, as far as I
know, have the leaves growing on short spurs (side branches).

-E

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 17-06-2012, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rachel 101
writes

Willi;961991 Wrote:
On 16.06.2012 19:07, Rachel 101 wrote:-
Hello everyone, I am trying to ID a tree:

The leaves are cordate, margins are strongly toothed. The leaves are
matt, light green in colour, and it's definitely not Lime (Tilia),
although the style of the veins is similair: the stalk end of the leaf
is even, not uneven.

Also, to confirm that it's not a lime, the leaves are not 5(-7)-nerved
at the base.

The leaves are held on stalks, and are arranged more or less
alternately
along the branches, but in bunches of two or three, not singly.

Technically, the leaves are borne on short side branches (spurs).

[...]

Before you posted the photographs I was think maybe hazel (Corylus
avellana). First glance at the photographs I thought Tilia tomentosa.
But it's not either of them.

Last decade I wrote some stuff on identifying limes, with notes on how
to distinguish them from superficially similar trees. You could see if
it helps, but since your tree has defeated me, I don't expect that it
will.

http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Tilia/Britain.html

Thank you,

Rachel

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 17-06-2012, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

Read before posting...
The post you quoted contains three links to photobucket pictures.

Janet

Old 17-06-2012, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On 06/17/2012 08:46 AM, Rachel 101 wrote:

On 16.06.2012 19:07, Rachel 101 wrote:-
Hello everyone, I am trying to ID a tree:

Could it be a birch tree?
'Preview Page' (
http://tinyurl.com/cgyvhdk)

Hi Willi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but no: birch leaves are more-or-less
triangular or diamond-shaped, whereas these are very much heart shaped.

An odd guess but it looks like Davidia involuctrata, the Pocket
Handkerchief tree. I had a dream about this tree last night, probably
because mine keeps growing in the wrong direction, and I am about
decided to try another one this fall.

It does rather !. Rachel, do you know how long it took to spring up to
its current size of 12 ft? Or, how long the oil tank has been there.
Those might be useful clues

Janet

Old 17-06-2012, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rachel 101" wrote in message

Willi;961991 Wrote:
[...]

Hi Rachel,

From your description and the photos, I immediately thought of one of the
Aspens (Populus) species because of the rate of growth and the chordate
juvenile leaves. It may not be the common species (tremuloides) because of
the extremely dentate leaf margins.

Phil

Old 17-06-2012, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/06/2012 11:33, Janet wrote:
In ,
says...

[...]

OUCH!
You enjoyed that didn't you janet.
as the OP said she wasn't posting pic till Monday in her first post..............

I's say it's Mulbury.
David

Old 17-06-2012, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

I thought you'd earned it. Unlike slagging someone off because you
haven't read the thread.

Janet.

Old 17-06-2012, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 06:46:05 +0000, Rachel 101
wrote:

Willi;961991 Wrote:
[...]

Leaves look like Mulberry.

Pam in Bristol
Old 17-06-2012, 06:36 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post

Before you posted the photographs I was think maybe hazel (Corylus
avellana). First glance at the photographs I thought Tilia tomentosa.
But it's not either of them.
I wondered about Corylopsis, but on refreshing my memory of that, it's not. Sacha's suggestion of Mulberry is good for the leaf shape, but I get the impression from the second pic that the leaves are rather delicate, say like beech, whereas mulberry leaves are much tougher, more like nettle. And I'm not sure I've ever seen mulberry self seed.