Old 28-08-2003, 03:02 AM
Tom Newton

Default Time to Nuke the Clover?

Hi Folks -

I live on long island, Ny ... and the temps are just about ready to start
dropping below 80 consistently... I have nearly a 1/3 acre of lawn, and have
a sprinkler system

As a first year homeowner I'm relatively new to this game. Here's my
problem: I have clover, lots of clover, and I'd like to know the best
strategy to rid the lawn of it and replace it with nice grass.

Currently, clover and various other weeds (perhaps chickweed) make up about
50% of the lawn, although its dispersed pretty evenly with nice grass... or
I'll say decent grass. The house is 90 years old, and the lawn landscaping
had been neglected for quite a few years. I get good sun.

Anyway, on a recent trip to Home Depot.. the gentleman there pointed me
towards using an Ortho product called "Chickweed / Clover / Oxalis Killer"
.... which is used with a sprayer, which I also bought. I tried one bottle,
which took care of test area about 25X50 ft. That was two weeks ago. Wow.
This stuff is serious! The product wiped out 100% of the clover and killed
not one blade of grass. Cool.

Anyway, now that that proof of concept succeeded, and I only tested it on
perhaps 1/10 of the area that needs fixing, I have a few questions about
timing, and the steps I should take:

1) It's August 28, should I go out, buy nine more bottles, and nuke the
whole place right now? Or is it too early? Given the fact that fall growing
season starts mid-late september here, isn't it a good idea to nuke the
place of the clover now?

2) After its all brown and dead, with all that fluff... what should I do? My
gut tells me that when everything's dead, I should a) rake up all the dead
and fluffy stuff with a stiff metal rake so the surface is fairly clean and
the top layer of soil is looser, b) overseed the whole place on September
15th or so, c) and put down starter fertilizer with that seed, and d) run
the sprinkler system at half the run times, but nightly (instead of the
normal every other day) untill germination

Is this a good attack plan? Any help on methods, timing is appreciated.

Thanks

Tom Newton

Old 28-08-2003, 05:32 AM
Starlord

Why does everyone want to kill off clover? It's a very helpfull plant and I've
seen lawns at big time hotels where they've gone to great cost to get clover to
grow in with the grass. Why? Because clover will fix Nigon into the soil and the
grass will be better off for it. Plus you will get a nice carpet of clover
flowers when it blooms. I wish I could get it to grow out here in the mojave
desert.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"Tom Newton" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old 28-08-2003, 06:02 AM
B & J

"Tom Newton" wrote in message
[...]

Wow, Tom! You certainly opened up a long, drawn-out thread in this ng. There
are broad leafed herbicides that eventually remove clover from a lawn, but
this was not a good place to ask that question or what they are or where to
get them. Clover is persistent and requires numerous applications of
herbicides to remove it. Check with your local extension agent or garden
centers if you really want to remove it. BTW, clover does have its pluses in
a lawn.

John

Old 28-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Frankhartx

As a first year homeowner I'm relatively new to this game. Here's my
problem: I have clover, lots of clover, and I'd like to know the best
strategy to rid the lawn of it and replace it with nice grass.

Get rid of the grass--keep the clover
Old 28-08-2003, 12:12 PM
SugarChile

One thing to consider.....rabbits love clover. I feel that having lots of
clover in my lawn, apart from the other benefits, distracts the rabbits and
helps keep them out of the vegetable garden.

Cheers,
Sue

Old 28-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Tom Newton

Okay then! Sounds like the wrong ng for this touchy subject.

As per my post, I found a product that works, want to get rid of it, and
would like my described method validated or commented on. Let me check
google for other ng's where this Q might be applicable

Tom

----------------

Old 28-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Beecrofter

Hey Tom
What's wrong with clover? It only became considered a weed when the
herbacides began to kill it, prior to that it was included as a part
of turfgrass.
It feeds bees, birds, and butterflies, provides nitrogen back to the
soil without it leaching into an allready polluted sound.
Old 28-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Tom Newton

I've found a product that eliminates clover, I'd like to eliminate clover.
I've indicated a potential plan to eliminate the clover. I am looking for
advice or suggested modifications to my plan to eleminiate clover.

Oh brother ;-)

Tom

om...

Old 28-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Dwight Sipler

Tom Newton wrote:

I've found a product that eliminates clover, I'd like to eliminate clover.
I've indicated a potential plan to eliminate the clover. I am looking for
advice or suggested modifications to my plan to eleminiate clover...

Here's a guy who apparently doesn't like clover. Since most of the
others on this newsgroup really like clover, we are trying to convert
him to our point of view. That's to be expected: it's human nature. He,
being convinced of the correctness of his opinion, resists conversion.
Again, human nature.

Who knows? maybe he has really good reasons for not liking clover. Maybe
he should try to convert us. I haven't seen him try yet. At any rate, we
have put him in a position where he has to put up with the conversion
attempts or ignore this newsgroup (with all its *valuable* discussions)
for a while. Just think what he'll be missing!
Old 28-08-2003, 03:42 PM
BattMeals

Tom Newton wrote:

I've found a product that eliminates clover, I'd like to eliminate clover.
I've indicated a potential plan to eliminate the clover. I am looking for
advice or suggested modifications to my plan to eleminiate clover.

A number of people *are* suggesting modificatons to your plan -- don't
eliminate the beneficial clover!

You might try alt.home.lawn.garden for advice. They talk a lot about
eliminating weeds without excess concern about the environment.

-matt

Old 28-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Tom Newton

Thanks Matt for your advice, I just saw that ng and will post there.

Don't worry folks, I have more clover than you've ever seen and will
continue to have lots. Around the garden in the back is nice, even around
the walkway circling the garage -- believe me - I have tons and will still
have tons (thank god it's not the rare endangered "spotted clover" LOL ...
or I'd wind up with 20 rusty microbusses out front with graying hippies
holding hands around the lawn!

Don't worry, I'll preserve some... but where I don't want it... I will nuke
it mercilessly ;-) how's that?

Tom

Old 28-08-2003, 05:02 PM
simy1

"Tom Newton" wrote in message ...
Hi Folks -

I live on long island, Ny ... and the temps are just about ready to start
dropping below 80 consistently... I have nearly a 1/3 acre of lawn, and have
a sprinkler system

As a first year homeowner I'm relatively new to this game. Here's my
problem: I have clover, lots of clover, and I'd like to know the best
strategy to rid the lawn of it and replace it with nice grass.

Currently, clover and various other weeds (perhaps chickweed) make up about
50% of the lawn, although its dispersed pretty evenly with nice grass... or
I'll say decent grass. The house is 90 years old, and the lawn landscaping
had been neglected for quite a few years. I get good sun.

wrong group to ask this question. Most people here do not approve of
polluting for the silly reasons you have. Also, if your lawn is full
of clover, it is because it is low in N. Unmixed lawns are not
sustainable. Keep what you have and thank god for having a lawn that
stays green through the summer.
Old 28-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Derryl Killan

Hi Tom

Continue to kill all the clover ASAP. You'll be able to top dress the
bare spots and over seed. Adjust your sprikler times to keep the
seeded sarea damp. You should be able to do the first cut by the end
of September.

Derryl Killan
Horticulturalist