Old 06-09-2003, 12:02 AM
JNJ

Default Resmethrin fogger....

Well, I give -- we've eliminated all the standing water we can, and even any
damp areas on the property yet the skeeters keep coming. It's gotten so bad
that a trip from the car to the house (30 feet tops) results in 2 or more
bites. Let the dogs out and in, it's a guarantee 1 or 2 come and go with
'em. We're also lucky enough to have not only the dusk loving species but
also the ones that are out all day long.

The Mosquito Deleto in the back does a decent job of keeping them at bay
back there, but in the front we're getting crucified. So we've decided it's
time to use a pesticide and went with the Burgess propane fueled fogger and
resmethrin. From what I've read the only negative side effect of resmethrin
would be the elimination of bees -- not a problem since they're already gone
(I've seen 1 bumble all year).

Anyone know any other down sides?

James

Old 07-09-2003, 03:02 AM
JNJ

The resmethrin will have very little residual so unless
you are fogging in the middle of the day with the bees
there probably won't be a big problem. You may have
better results with a hand sprayer and use products that
may have a bit more residual. With the sprayer you can
be more precise to apply the product where needed, such
as the undersides of plants in the shade, along a fence
line or house that is once again shaded.

Actually, these are both plusses in the fogger's corner -- access to
vegetation is limited at best and most vegetation is shrubby so something
that can work its way in through the air is preferred. This model of fogger
is a handheld unit so I can get as close to the vegetation as possible
before fogging. I do not want anything TOO residual as I want it gone by
next spring -- the whole goal is just to put a dent in the current
population so we can at least step out the door without finding ourselves
under attack.

James

Old 07-09-2003, 07:02 AM
JNJ

The fogger probably would work best in treating the
growth your are describing, though most general
insecticides you might try will only give days to maybe
a few weeks effectiveness. The problem with populations
away from breeding sources is that each night a new
"batch" will appear and get into the shady areas at dawn
waiting night again. The one benefit with a residual is
it helps stop the numbers you begin with each day.
Permethrin may have more of an repellency effect than
resmethrin, but the residual will be even less, so I
guess they will be about the same effectiveness.

As it's turning out, the entire matter may be moot -- the last 2 nights have
been a bit chilly with temps going into the mid-50's. That's typically
enough to trigger diapause and break the cycle. I haven't seen a mosquito
since the temps dropped. Be interesting to see if they come back out when
the temps climb back up again.

James.

[IMG] code is On

Fogger? Claude Orchids 0 30-01-2004 05:29 PM
safe pesticide fogger? Betsy Gardening 6 18-07-2003 03:52 PM
Burgess Propane Fogger Mike Gardening 10 10-06-2003 04:32 PM
Fogging for insects with my Burgess Fogger? On ROSES? Brendan OMara Roses 13 30-05-2003 04:10 PM
RE Fogger gary linley Gardening 2 19-03-2003 09:20 PM