Old 17-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Mogie

Default privacy nightmare!

Video tape them. You can send the tape to them or the cops. Might also
consider csd (childrens services division).

Chris Owens wrote in message
Zemedelec wrote:

I suppose a group marriage or polyamory doesn't fit the situation.
zemedelec

Huh?

Chris Owens

Old 17-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Warren

Mogie wrote:
Video tape them. You can send the tape to them or the cops. Might also
consider csd (childrens services division).

Video taping someone without their permission when they have a
reasonable expectation of privacy (such as in their own home) is likely
to get you in a lot of trouble. Even if it's not a criminal issue in
your state, it could be the basis of civil litigation that potentially
could cost you quite a bit. I would suggest a formal consultation with a
lawyer before taping, or at the very least before showing anyone else
the tape, or even telling someone that such a tape may exist.

There's not much worse than forging ahead in a fit of self-righteousness
only to find out that you were seriously out of bounds by doing so.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug:
Support me at: http://www.holzemville.com/mall/

Old 18-09-2003, 12:32 AM
BT

Poplar trees or Chinese Elm grow real tall real fast!

BT

"walms" wrote in message
Thanks for the entertaining posts folks! Nothing would please me more than
moving to a secluded area. I was raised on a 250-acre farm so the idea of
living in the burbs will probably take a lifetime to get used to.
Unfortunately, moving to the boondocks is not an option anytime soon.

There is an existing 6-foot fence that separates our properties but it is
located in a swale giving me about 4 feet of privacy. The good news is this
area gets all the run-off, which should help vigorous growth. I really don't
have a clue about how to classify my soil; my best guess would a mixture of
loam and clay. The area gets full sun all day and I'm not concerned about
privacy in the winter months.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a row of deciduous trees. I did the trig
and confirmed that the ideal height would be about 14 feet.

Anyways, thanks for the comments.

New list...

Pergola

Laylandii

Cannon Balls

Amur Maple

Shot Gun

Pussy Willow

Barberry

Old 18-09-2003, 03:22 AM
Wendy Chatley Green

:
:Video taping someone without their permission when they have a
:reasonable expectation of privacy (such as in their own home) is likely
:to get you in a lot of trouble. Even if it's not a criminal issue in
:your state, it could be the basis of civil litigation that potentially
:could cost you quite a bit. I would suggest a formal consultation with a
:lawyer before taping, or at the very least before showing anyone else
:the tape, or even telling someone that such a tape may exist.
:
:There's not much worse than forging ahead in a fit of self-righteousness
nly to find out that you were seriously out of bounds by doing so.

Videotape something that is happening in your yard. After
all, you can't be held responsible for anything that "accidently"
appears in the background of your family pictures.

--
Wendy Chatley Green

Old 18-09-2003, 04:02 AM
Warren

Wendy Chatley Green wrote:
Warren wrote:
[...]

And such a great example of self-righteousness to prove the point!

"Yes, judge. I was merely videotaping all the fun going on in my
backyard. It's just coincidental that nothing was going on in my
backyard at the time, and the autofocus has made the background so
clear."

You don't really think anyone is stupid enough to buy that! Even Judge
Harry Stone on Night Court wouldn't let you get away with a far-fetched
rationalization like that! ROFLOL

--
Warren H.

==========

Old 18-09-2003, 04:22 AM
Grandpa

JNJ wrote:

I'll bet Pyracanthas will grow that tallG. Mine are 9' right now.

I trimmed mine back this year -- all told, it's about 7 feet tall after 4
seasons of growth. It sits behind our AC unit, growing into a metal
trellis, and it blocks a 3' gap between our house and the neighbor's house.
If I had a taller trellis I'll bet it would be higher.

Mine are free standing. About 4' thick between our house and a
neighbors - a rental. Birds love the berries to, plus I found several
recipes on the net for Pyracantha jelly/jam. Gonna try it this year. I
planted them because an old renter hopped the chainlink fence one night
and put his fist thru my bedroom window showering me in glass. He was
'coked' out, drunk and revving his Harley @ 2am. I looked out the
window and he didn't like that. Grabbed the 30.06 & waited for him to
return but he didn't. Police took it from there. He's long gone now
but the Pyras are still there and as hearty as anything I've ever
planted. Grass won't even grow under them.

Old 18-09-2003, 04:22 AM
Grandpa

Warren wrote:

Wendy Chatley Green wrote:

Warren wrote:

[...]

Hey, he was taping his grass growingG.

Old 18-09-2003, 04:22 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Warren wrote:

Mogie wrote:
Video tape them. You can send the tape to them or the cops. Might also
consider csd (childrens services division).

Video taping someone without their permission when they have a
reasonable expectation of privacy (such as in their own home) is likely
to get you in a lot of trouble. Even if it's not a criminal issue in
your state, it could be the basis of civil litigation that potentially
could cost you quite a bit. I would suggest a formal consultation with a
lawyer before taping, or at the very least before showing anyone else
the tape, or even telling someone that such a tape may exist.

There's not much worse than forging ahead in a fit of self-righteousness
only to find out that you were seriously out of bounds by doing so.

So long as they're in clear and public view, they've forfeited any
expectation of "privacy." Tape to your heart's content. Sell copies
to Real TV.

Back to the original problem, check over the quality (or lack thereof)
of the deck construction. If it was a DIY job, have they cut corners
to save a few pennies? Were smooth shank nails used where code
requires 1/2" bolts or better? Are railings securely fastened?
Is the lumber rated for the application? Decks are WAY more complex
structures than they appear. Your friendly local building inspector
will no doubt concur.
Old 18-09-2003, 05:02 AM
Warren

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. wrote:

So long as they're in clear and public view, they've forfeited any
expectation of "privacy." Tape to your heart's content. Sell copies
to Real TV.

I don't have to board-up all my windows to have an expectation of
privacy in my own home. If the blinds on my backyard facing patio door
are open, just because you can clearly see me doesn't mean you're
allowed to video tape me.

But as I said earlier, check with a lawyer first -- unless you're taping
Rev. Chuck. If he's in your clear view, then he's already given you the
green light that he doesn't expect his activities to be private. Most of
the rest of us still have an expectation of privacy in our own homes.

--
Warren H.

==========

Old 18-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Wendy Chatley Green

:Wendy Chatley Green wrote:
: Warren wrote:
: :Video taping someone without their permission when they have a
: :reasonable expectation of privacy (such as in their own home) is
:likely
: :to get you in a lot of trouble. Even if it's not a criminal issue in
: :your state, it could be the basis of civil litigation that
otentially
: :could cost you quite a bit.
snip
: Videotape something that is happening in your yard. After
: all, you can't be held responsible for anything that "accidently"
: appears in the background of your family pictures.
:
:
:And such a great example of self-righteousness to prove the point!
:
:"Yes, judge. I was merely videotaping all the fun going on in my
:backyard. It's just coincidental that nothing was going on in my
:backyard at the time, and the autofocus has made the background so
:clear."
:
:You don't really think anyone is stupid enough to buy that! Even Judge
:Harry Stone on Night Court wouldn't let you get away with a far-fetched
:rationalization like that! ROFLOL

I'd agree with you in that scenario. However, a little
thought and effort can set up a more believable situation:

Perhaps "I had set up a camera on my bird feeder--I'm an avid
bird watcher and I wanted to see if anything interesting arrives while
I'm at work--and this is what I found when I checked the tape."

Not everyone is as stupid as you seem to think....

--
Wendy Chatley Green

Old 18-09-2003, 03:32 PM
JNJ

Video taping someone without their permission when they have a
reasonable expectation of privacy (such as in their own home) is likely
to get you in a lot of trouble. Even if it's not a criminal issue in
your state, it could be the basis of civil litigation that potentially
could cost you quite a bit. I would suggest a formal consultation with a
lawyer before taping, or at the very least before showing anyone else
the tape, or even telling someone that such a tape may exist.

Warren -- Although I don't see the point in videotaping the neighbor, he/she
would have a tough time claiming reasonable expectation of privacy outdoors,
especially on a deck that overlooks other properties and increases exposure.
There's already ample case law to support the assertion that this is
publically viewable space without any reasonable expectation of privacy.

Still a stupid idea -- better to just build a pergola and add trees, shrubs,
and vines to create privacy than to attempt to escalate a neighbor war.

James

Old 18-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Warren wrote:

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. wrote:

So long as they're in clear and public view, they've forfeited any
expectation of "privacy." Tape to your heart's content. Sell copies
to Real TV.

I don't have to board-up all my windows to have an expectation of
privacy in my own home. If the blinds on my backyard facing patio door
are open, just because you can clearly see me doesn't mean you're
allowed to video tape me.

Unfortunately, it does.

But as I said earlier, check with a lawyer first -- unless you're taping
Rev. Chuck. If he's in your clear view, then he's already given you the
green light that he doesn't expect his activities to be private. Most of
the rest of us still have an expectation of privacy in our own homes.

I'm willing to accept the law for all it's worth.

Are you?

--
Warren H.

==========

Old 18-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Mogie

But if they are outside they are fair game. If you are taping out of concern
because of illegal activities no problem. Stay off their property. Don't
tape through their windows, don't use any equipment to enhance the sound or
video.

I was advised by my local police to keep a tape running on our chain link
fence. Since chain link is basically invisible I can catch any illegal
behavior by my neighbors. They have an extensive file with the cops already.

Old 18-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Mogie

JNJ wrote in message
[...]

Not a stupid idea. I caught the neighbors trying to dump rotten food that
could have made our animals sick or even killed them. Also caught them
stealing gas, underage drinking and shooting a gun at a residence.

They cops have made several arrests but with the turnover at their house
there is an always changing list of residents.

James