Old 20-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Mogie

Default stawberries didn't produce

Planted some strawberry starts in a window box. The plants took off great we
had a few strawberries initally but then they just stopped. That was about
two months ago in late July. I kept them water well everyday and they have
good soil they are planted in. Could they just be establishing themselves
and we get the fruit next year?

Old 21-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Maybe they would prefer to direct instead?

You expect a bumper crop of strawberries in a window box?
Have you gone mad?
Plant them in the ground instead if you expect a sizable crop of the fleshy
receptacles.

Old 21-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Mogie

Can't plant them in the ground we have a horrible problem with moles and
also have free range chickens. Tried them in the ground before and between
the two they didn't last long.

Didn't expect a bumper crop just more then half a dozen.

m...

Old 21-09-2003, 09:22 PM
John Bachman

Mogie wrote in message
Planted some strawberry starts in a window box. The plants took off great

we
had a few strawberries initally but then they just stopped. That was about
two months ago in late July. I kept them water well everyday and they have
good soil they are planted in. Could they just be establishing themselves
and we get the fruit next year?

I do not know about the window box thing, should work if there is good
soil in it I expect. After all, the strawberries don't know that they
are in a window box as long as there is ample space for the roots.

However, the usual recommendation for a new strawberry patch is
prevent a crop the first year by pinching off the blossoms. That way
the plant and roots develop before fruiting the following year.
Perhaps you expected too much for a first year planting?

If so, I would recommend that you pinch the blossoms off next year.
Then you should get a good crop the following year.

JMHO

John

Old 21-09-2003, 11:02 PM

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 12:37:47 -0700, "Mogie"
wrote:

Planted some strawberry starts in a window box. The plants took off great we
had a few strawberries initally but then they just stopped. That was about
two months ago in late July. I kept them water well everyday and they have
good soil they are planted in. Could they just be establishing themselves
and we get the fruit next year?

I read the replies, including "have you gone mad" and your explanation
of why you can't plant in the ground.

"Window box", on the face of it sounds a bit slight (not having seen
the actual box).

If you plant in a container that is DEEP enough !!! and WIDE
enough, you should be able to replicate ground conditions to a great
extent. Make sure that your soil is very well conditioned, and I
don't mean a bag of potting mix from a nursery. (I know you said
"good soil") Use honest dirt, ameliorated with compost, worm
castings, other good stuff. Plenty of sun, judicious watering.

Good luck! Don't give up. Early this year, I planted some Sequoias
from the nursery that were on sale, had fruit on them. After that
fruit ripened, they didn't do squat for months. I was about to pull
them out when they rallied. Conjectu They may have been
hot-house; induced to bear before their time. When their season
came, they produced.

--

Wesley Clark for President
www.DraftWesleyClark.com

Old 22-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

You had fruit on Sequoias?
That is really amazing because they are conifers and gymnosperms by
definition cannot have fruit!!!

Your other advice is just as accurate conjecture!!!

If such a "window box" was deep enough, it would be too large and too heavy
to fit in a window!!!

You should stick to trying to grow soccer balls in your nut hut on fantasy
island!!!

Old 22-09-2003, 05:02 PM

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:01:22 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

You had fruit on Sequoias?
That is really amazing because they are conifers and gymnosperms by
definition cannot have fruit!!!

Chuckle. You DO know Sequoia is a kind of strawberry?

Your other advice is just as accurate conjecture!!!

If such a "window box" was deep enough, it would be too large and too heavy
to fit in a window!!!

Or maybe not actually IN the window - perhaps below it? On a sturdy
stand? Give the OP credit for some intelligence and ingenuity.

You should stick to trying to grow soccer balls in your nut hut on fantasy
island!!!

That's unusual language for this normally civil NG.
I'm sorry for your problems.

--

Persephone

--

Persephone

.. .

Old 22-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Yeah, of course, Sequoia is a strawberry cultivar. That's the ticket!!!

Like you say, its a kinder and gentler strawberry!!

Thanks for straightening out for us persephone on civil normality. Or is
that civilphone on a precipice of audacity? Or is it an elephone on a
telephant of cellulosity?

Why did the elephant have his toe nails painted red? So he could hide in a
strawberry patch!!!

wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old 22-09-2003, 05:42 PM
J. Del Col

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message om...
You had fruit on Sequoias?
That is really amazing because they are conifers and gymnosperms by
definition cannot have fruit!!!

Your other advice is just as accurate conjecture!!!

If such a "window box" was deep enough, it would be too large and too heavy
to fit in a window!!!

You should stick to trying to grow soccer balls in your nut hut on fantasy
island!!!

"Sequoia" or "Sequoyah" is also a variety of strawberry.

J. Del Col

Old 24-09-2003, 07:32 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

It would appear that such concepts are way beyond your limited
comprehension.

So you are saying that it is alright for horticulturists to be mentally and
linguistically challenged?

Do they make you wear a special helmet so that you don't hurt yourself in
the garden?

Don't you get tired of people calling you "special" when they really mean
that you are stupid?

Never mind. You probably crave all that extra attention especially when you
get all flustered when you forget which end of the trowel you dig with.

m...

Old 24-09-2003, 01:02 PM
J. Del Col

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message om...
Its back to school for you, DelColonic.

So exactly what is the botanical difference between a cultivar and a
natural variety?

If you can't demonstrate that, then your distinction between the two
is empty.

J. Del Col